Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 09:59 PM

119 posts, read 245,610 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I work in a small office that shares its office space with two other small firms. People from firm A never speak to firm B, and firm C etc. It's just not a part of the culture here or even of the region I work in.

I'm also a new hire, so I'm not trying to shake things up. Each firm has less than 10 people, so its hard to do anything unnoticed.

Anyways, there is this really attractive guy who works in firm A while I work in firm B. I never really thought much of him, but he is always smiling at me and goes out of his way to look at me when he isn't around other people.

Now I look forward to going to work, hoping he might be there because he isn't there everyday. So recently, I guess I looked up his linked in profile most likely before I learned how to browse linked in privately and I'm so embarrassed.

On linked in it actually shows you exactly who has looked at your profile and I have no business looking at his because we work in different fields, different companies, and I have never actually spoken to him. I seem like a stalker now .

I'm mortified! I just realized this happened. Now what do I do? Bury my head in the sand?
I'm well aware that workplace attraction is unprofessional and I would have never acted on it, I just wanted to check him out.

I hate linked in now. Has this happened to anyone else here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 10:32 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,513,000 times
You can go into settings and have it changed to show "linkedin member looked you up" instead of your name, just google how to do it.

Don't worry so much you probably made his day. If he says something you could always say oh I saw you on linkedin and wonder what you do specifically.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:32 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,424,047 times
unless he checks his profile daily, he probably would not even notice that you were on his as linkedin only show the last 5 visitors. So, if 5 other people clicked on his profile since, more than likely, he will never find out

Old 03-28-2013, 11:23 PM

18,740 posts, read 33,459,496 times
Do you have to be a linked-in member to have your name show up?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:56 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,278,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micio View Post
Okay, so I work in a small office that shares its office space with two other small firms. People from firm A never speak to firm B, and firm C etc. It's just not a part of the culture here or even of the region I work in.

I'm also a new hire, so I'm not trying to shake things up. Each firm has less than 10 people, so its hard to do anything unnoticed.

Anyways, there is this really attractive guy who works in firm A while I work in firm B. I never really thought much of him, but he is always smiling at me and goes out of his way to look at me when he isn't around other people.

Now I look forward to going to work, hoping he might be there because he isn't there everyday. So recently, I guess I looked up his linked in profile most likely before I learned how to browse linked in privately and I'm so embarrassed.

On linked in it actually shows you exactly who has looked at your profile and I have no business looking at his because we work in different fields, different companies, and I have never actually spoken to him. I seem like a stalker now .

I'm mortified! I just realized this happened. Now what do I do? Bury my head in the sand?
I'm well aware that workplace attraction is unprofessional and I would have never acted on it, I just wanted to check him out.

I hate linked in now. Has this happened to anyone else here?
You like the guy and you looked at his profile. Hardly a problem. Unless they tell you you can't actually talk to each other who cares.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,205,076 times
Why is this a big deal? Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:33 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,268,829 times
So....How would he know this is you? Did you say you work in the next office?

Old 03-29-2013, 05:36 AM

45,558 posts, read 60,822,331 times
Why don't the people who share the office interact? That to me is the strangeness. C'mon, 30 or so people in a shared office and there's no/none/nada interaction. I've never experienced that in any region or culture. Hell, even Naval Aviators will sometimes talk to Chair Force pilots. Just to be polite.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:42 AM

763 posts, read 2,607,812 times
I don't see it as a big deal, either. So what you looked at his LinkedIn profile! My LinkedIn profile has been viewed by people I don't know. Doesn't bother me.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:55 AM

580 posts, read 966,492 times
First I don't think it's a big deal. Linkedin seems to be like a Facebook for companies. It's just like looking at a Facebook profile.

Also three firms that don't interact with each other even though they work in the same office? Interesting. Sounds almost like China Mieville's The City and The City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment