Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:14 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,486,904 times

Advertisements

O -- M -- G --- is this THE most annoying thing going??? At my job, it seems that every other day, someone is "collecting" for something. "Oh, it's so & so's birthday, we're collecting money and buying a card" or "oh, we're collecting money for so and so because they're sick" or "we're collecting money for a gift for so and so"..... Come on, people, I'm here to make money, not give it away!!!

I work in a rather large place and don't even know who half these people are! I've told them I don't know _______ and turn back to my work but it seems someone is always walking around with an envelope collecting money (only $5 or "just" $10). I refuse to be a part of it. I don't want anyone giving me anything and I don't want to feel made to give up my money for someone else. If it's someone I like and it's their b'day and I want to get them something, I'll get it myself. I don't need a group to do it.

Sometimes, it makes me feel like a "cheapie" but what can I do other than get a large 'NO SOLICITING" sign to put on my cube?????

Does anyone else hate this nonsense???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 10:44 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,010,795 times
DUmb

Old 04-15-2010, 01:33 AM

161 posts, read 489,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
O -- M -- G --- is this THE most annoying thing going??? At my job, it seems that every other day, someone is "collecting" for something. "Oh, it's so & so's birthday, we're collecting money and buying a card" or "oh, we're collecting money for so and so because they're sick" or "we're collecting money for a gift for so and so"..... Come on, people, I'm here to make money, not give it away!!!

I work in a rather large place and don't even know who half these people are! I've told them I don't know _______ and turn back to my work but it seems someone is always walking around with an envelope collecting money (only $5 or "just" $10). I refuse to be a part of it. I don't want anyone giving me anything and I don't want to feel made to give up my money for someone else. If it's someone I like and it's their b'day and I want to get them something, I'll get it myself. I don't need a group to do it.

Sometimes, it makes me feel like a "cheapie" but what can I do other than get a large 'NO SOLICITING" sign to put on my cube?????

Does anyone else hate this nonsense???????
When they came around collecting, I would simply say no thanks. I didn't give a rat's behind what they thought about it. Yes, I also heard it's "just" $5 or $10 too. My answer straight to their face was still no. I'm not looking for any gifts from anyone either b/c I'm there to earn a check, period.

I am grown & give to who I choose to--if at all. They aren't in my purse & don't know what I can or can't afford. When I did give to someone I knew & liked, I got it myself and the person really appreciated it.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:46 AM

160 posts, read 375,844 times
It's bad enough when you co-workers do it, but when upper management does it, it gets downright nerve-racking. About 10 years ago, I worked for [a large store in direct competition with Walmart, and whose colors are red]. The HR manager constantly hounded me because I was the last United Way" hold out. They wanted 100% compliance from all employees to donate a portion of our weekly paychecks to the United Way. Why? So they (upper mgmt) could look good in the eyes of the corporate office. Even worse....they planned a community cleanup day and tried to make you feel guilty for not attending (on your day off). The park they "adopted" was actually run (and maintained) by the county. Once again, to look good in the eyes of corporate. A local reported just happened to be on and too!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,098,174 times
This irks me, too

I don't work but I have been 'cornered' by my son's 'friend' (when he needs me to buy his Boy Scout crap), and suddenly parents/people who NEVER spoke to me are thrusting 'Buy a Roll of C(wrapping) paper of the month catalogs to support some of their kids' activities..

I don't have extra $. Even when I worked, I didn't. I don't mind if it is someone in my dept. or a friend but to collect from EVERYONE for every person in the organization is wrong.

When I was pregnant, I left my job over illness in my 5th month of pregnancy. I never saw anything from anyone, despite contributing to 'everyone else' for 2 years...

I've tried telling people I don't have a job or extra money but they go blank and I feel cheap. My husband is great, he will say NO in a rude way, but I can't. I am not a sucker and I don't hand out $$ randomly but when my son's friend comes around, I figure I have to keep the peace and buy the cheapest (and it winds up being the crappiest) item.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:53 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,098,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk 08755 View Post
It's bad enough when you co-workers do it, but when upper management does it, it gets downright nerve-racking. About 10 years ago, I worked for [a large store in direct competition with Walmart, and whose colors are red]. The HR manager constantly hounded me because I was the last United Way" hold out. They wanted 100% compliance from all employees to donate a portion of our weekly paychecks to the United Way. Why? So they (upper mgmt) could look good in the eyes of the corporate office. Even worse....they planned a community cleanup day and tried to make you feel guilty for not attending (on your day off). The park they "adopted" was actually run (and maintained) by the county. Once again, to look good in the eyes of corporate. A local reported just happened to be on and too!

Good PR for them and doesn't costs the company a dime...it's a shame.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:06 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,723,423 times
I'm in the same boat. Whenever they ask for money for the United Way at my work I tell them I don't like the United Way (which I don't because they've chosen to be EXTREMELY pro-gay).

My office is only 16, so if it's for a celebration or something I also know the person and usually get to enjoy it, but it still can get pretty annoying.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:00 AM

160 posts, read 375,844 times
The UW just has a long track record of scandal. I wanted no part of it.

I'm so happy I got out of retail. The whole corporate "cheerleading" (brainwashing) takes a toll on you. They treat grown adults like children, and expect you to live and die for the store. I came back to work after my mother died, and the first thing said to me was, "Your departments need to be zoned" (cleaned up). We even had a store manager who would'nt let anyone go home early on 9/11, and called a special meeting to say "What we're doing here is important to the public". (Keep in mind I'm about 50 miles from NY...many co-workers has spouses/family in NY or who commuted there each day). Yeah, selling trendy melmac dinnerware, over-priced beach towels, and garden hoses is REAL important!

Old 04-15-2010, 06:12 AM

6,597 posts, read 11,327,457 times
Since its a large company - take it up with HR. Most companies have a no-solicitation policy, its just not enforced. Items like this is usually dealt with without dragging your name into it.

What we do here is we send an email about the collection, but ask that you walk your donation/contribution to the executive admin if you wish to donate. This way, those who do not wish to contribute are not put on the spot or cornered for money.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:39 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,497,578 times
You people are cold hearted. It's only a couple of bucks and it is not like it's all the time. I always give money for things like that. (half the time I just spearhead the effort myself and buy the whole thing)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment