Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 03:46 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,712,673 times

Advertisements

Do you tell people on the phone who are trying to collect a debt some BS just to get them to go away?

I've found I've had to because they will not stop talking or calling until you tell them "ok I'll pay on whatever day", even though you've already made it clear you can't?

Why do they do that?

I told them "I can't pay till 2 weeks from now". They wouldn't accept that. "You gotta pay by Fri."

"I won't have the money by Fri, I will have it in 2 weeks without fail though"
"has to be by Fri"
on and on.. so I finally just said "Ok you'll have it by Fri" and he let it go.

Of course they continued to call again on Monday, I ignored the calls, not wishing to have the same conversation, and I still paid in 2 weeks, but I didn't understand what the point had been to not negotiate and insist on a date that I made clear was not a possibility for me. Especially if I'm going to just do what I said I'd do.

I mean I've even thought about going so far as to send a check, and then cancel it, just to shut em up about it and tell em "I told ya I didn't have the money right now but you insisted on something before I had the means." I mean I'm sorry i was late on the payment, and I said I'd pay it ASAP in 2 weeks. I can't do more than I am capable of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:38 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,143,251 times
Telemarketers and bill collectors are 2 different groups.

The first, well, hey, they get hung up on pretty fast if they call us. We have gotten a lot of phony calls about 'charities' and 'police charities.' After I told them off a few times, I finally let them know I personally have a neighbor who is a cop and he said this is a phone scam.

They never called back.

Bill collectors, well, you have to pay your bills. I know it's hard but you do owe them this money.

I had someone call me (mistakenly) about a bill (it wasn't even my bill). They harassed me a very badly. Finally someone who is used to dealing with them called them back and they left me alone.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,162,980 times
Caller ID.

Problem solved.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,712,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
...Bill collectors, well, you have to pay your bills. I know it's hard but you do owe them this money.

I had someone call me (mistakenly) about a bill (it wasn't even my bill). They harassed me a very badly. Finally someone who is used to dealing with them called them back and they left me alone.
I have no problem with paying what I owe. I just wish they'd listen and work with you. Some do, but many don't. Calling everyday isn't going to make the money arrive any faster. I said 2 weeks, I meant 2 weeks

Old 01-29-2009, 12:25 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,224,531 times
I don't have bill collectors call me as I have few debts and my monthly bills are all paid on time; I do however hate getting telemarketing calls. It was awful during the Presidential race because we were living in Alaska~insert a frowny here~ and the pollers were ruthless about calling 5-10x a day!! No amount of begging them to stop helped so I put away my southern bred upbringing and cursed em out a few times-the calls stopped.
Now, since leaving Alaska~insert smiley here~ we opted to not go with the standard phone service and instead use Magic Jack and I don't know if the phone number you're assigned when using those are not made public or what- but we never, ever get unsolicited calls. It's great.

Old 01-29-2009, 01:16 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,143,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I have no problem with paying what I owe. I just wish they'd listen and work with you. Some do, but many don't. Calling everyday isn't going to make the money arrive any faster. I said 2 weeks, I meant 2 weeks
I understand. Some of them are very mean. I also have seen credit card companies, utilities and even our car insurance company doing devious things now to yank anything they can from us.

For example, we just paid the car insurance about 1.5 months ago and got a bill for the next payment. They gave us less than a week to come up with the $.

The propane company seems to jack the bill up every time and again, we get the bill in less than 3 weeks.

The other day we got a bill from my son's dentist of almost 2 years ago from another state. Funny, it was paid in full and fine in April 07.

I think companies are nickle and diming EVERYONE now--anything to make up for losses.

It's hard to live on one income frugally when people are picking your bones for anything you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment