Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 AM

687 posts, read 1,119,247 times

Advertisements

We were asked for $15 every time. That adds up and that is why I am against mandatory contributions. Contributions are suppose to be voluntary and those on a tight budget should not have to worry about extra frivolous expenses at work.
Telling someone that they should have enough discretionary funds to drop for office celebrations is really insensitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 07:51 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
You should have enough discretionary funds to be able to drop 5 bucks to help out with a potluck or someone's birthday cake for God sakes.
For God's sake the company should have enough money to pay for birthday cakes instead of making employees buy them.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:25 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
For God's sake the company should have enough money to pay for birthday cakes instead of making employees buy them.
Agreed. Our company sets aside $50 a month and we have one big birthday party for all birthdays in said month. Just a pizza/cake thing in the hangar....but it's nice.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:52 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk 08755 View Post
It's bad enough when you co-workers do it, but when upper management does it, it gets downright nerve-racking. About 10 years ago, I worked for [a large store in direct competition with Walmart, and whose colors are red]. The HR manager constantly hounded me because I was the last United Way" hold out. They wanted 100% compliance from all employees to donate a portion of our weekly paychecks to the United Way. Why? So they (upper mgmt) could look good in the eyes of the corporate office. Even worse....they planned a community cleanup day and tried to make you feel guilty for not attending (on your day off). The park they "adopted" was actually run (and maintained) by the county. Once again, to look good in the eyes of corporate. A local reported just happened to be on and too!
I know exactly what you are speaking of !

The same thing happened at our place .( ours was a production plant )

Old 04-19-2010, 07:53 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
Quote:
LOL, too funny. I actually had a co-worker invite us to a "Fantasia Party"....when I found out what a "Fantasia Party" was I was like, "WTF? I have a life. NO thanks!".
Fantasia Party??? Never heard of it.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

Old 04-20-2010, 01:10 AM

161 posts, read 489,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuzana View Post
Completely. Don't eat the birthday cake though if you don't want to contribute. The department should just have a special birthday fund and have a cake for each month that employees have a birthday and no cake for those months where there are no birthdays.
Having a mandatory collection is in bad taste in my opinion. No one knows what your financial situation is.

I agree that you shouldn't eat it if you didn't contribute, whether it's b-day cake or other food items. The company should have a fund for that. As a rule, I don't eat nothing people bring in from home b/c I was raised that you can't eat from just anyone's hand.

Also, the coworkers leave food out(not good) so they can graze thru the day. By afternoon, at least couple of them took a dump & the office stinks to high heaven!

Years ago, I had my lunch stolen from a shared break room fridge (happened all the time but no one warned me) & didn't have money to buy lunch. I was new, I had to work 2 wks "in the hole" first--money was very tight. Since then, I bring my lunch/snacks in an insulated bag kept in my desk drawer. I save money, use up leftovers & won't go hungry.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:38 AM

160 posts, read 375,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Fantasia Party??? Never heard of it.
Ummm...it's like a Tupperware party except they sell "toys" for lonely women.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Ummm...it's like a Tupperware party except they sell "toys" for lonely women.

Think I'd pass on that one.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:07 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Never heard of mandatory $15- that seems very unfair.
WHere I work, I'm considered part of different groups. Night shift. Float pool. Part of some day/evening staffs where I work a lot.
I have it easy. I just point out that I never carry money at work (which I don't- there's nothing to buy on night shift!) and give to those people I feel connected to, not just because we both have "float" after our names or something, and these are people who I literally never see.
I like being able to sign a group card for something. A lot of my co-workers are of an age to be losing aging parents, and there are constant notices going out. For one co-worker I am close to, I sent a personal contribution to the Armenian Library in her late father's name, as he was a survivor of their genocide (yes, he was very old). For another, a personal donation to American Jewish World Services because his mother had been a Polish refugee in WWII. People seem really knocked out by this.
Regarding birthdays and all, it's strictly personal if someone wants to observe a co-worker's birthday.
I mean, there are just too many people and too many events, at least at my job.
I like the idea of a monthly party for all birthdays that month! That could work really well in a cohesive work environment. But mandatory? That's absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment