Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:11 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,944,524 times

Advertisements

[quote=movin'on;11255599]You know something, bibit? I don't even know how to do any of this. I should look for a class so I can get up to speed on all of this social media stuff. I am embarrassed to admit this, but I don't even know how to text a message! I only recently bought a DVD and did figure out how to hook that up to my TV.
quote]

You don't need a class. I'll walk you through the process by DM. Let me know when you're ready. BTW, I didn't get that job I was talking to you about. They've decided they needed someone local to Phoenix...it made sense to me though, so I'm disappointed but not upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,472,915 times
[quote=bibit612;11256118]
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
You know something, bibit? I don't even know how to do any of this. I should look for a class so I can get up to speed on all of this social media stuff. I am embarrassed to admit this, but I don't even know how to text a message! I only recently bought a DVD and did figure out how to hook that up to my TV.
quote]

You don't need a class. I'll walk you through the process by DM. Let me know when you're ready. BTW, I didn't get that job I was talking to you about. They've decided they needed someone local to Phoenix...it made sense to me though, so I'm disappointed but not upset.
I'm sorry about that job. That is a shame, but it does sound like you are taking it in stride. Thanks for saying you'll walk me through stuff!

Old 10-19-2009, 02:28 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,944,524 times
[quote=movin'on;11256221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post

I'm sorry about that job. That is a shame, but it does sound like you are taking it in stride. Thanks for saying you'll walk me through stuff!
Here's the link: Relationships Matter | LinkedIn

Get in and fool around with it. It's really easy! If you get stuck, just holler by DM. You can do it...no question is stupid, I mean it. I'll help you at each step.

P.S. Just a warning for a newbie...a lady I work with signed up in LinkedIn for the first time and put her address, phone number, birthday and all that kind of info on there. I was aghast and sent her an urgent e-mail to take that out of her profile. You only need your name and e-mail to open your account. Some people don't even display their name, just their work experience, but it's kinda hard for others who know you to invite you to connect with them without a name.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:08 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,435,757 times
Movin' on, my friends who are "throwing in the towel" are married. However, they need two incomes to make it and little unemployed here is in better shape than they are. (I am very fortunate in many ways but I still have to work). The best way I can explain it is that they look like they are in a daze. I think some of them just haven't came to grips with the fact that not as much money is coming in. It's almost like they are in denial. A few who are getting close to 60 say that they are just going to wait and draw Social Security. To me, that's giving up when you have three or four years to go just to reach 62. Anyway, that's not an option for me. It's a long way from 53 to 67 and half or 70. Well, I have at least came up with a new strategy. There is a bi-annual district meeting for a club I belong to that will have 150 participants a week from Saturday. These are all women's clubs that partially sponsor a private school, do community projects, etc. Usually there's so much business that you 're only talking about club related themes, so the spring one wasn't exactly a good networking opportunity. I am going to make a badge with my "elevator speech", wear it and point to it. Maybe I can get some more leads. At least I'm trying!

Old 10-19-2009, 08:34 PM

6,906 posts, read 11,296,167 times
Smile Please don't get discouraged....

There are so many good jobs going away. This is part of the problem of this recession. We need to generate jobs here in America and become strong again. This country rose up after WW II and became strong. Manufacturing, pride in one's work and quality were all important.

Well, we all know where manufacturing is going. It makes me sick but we cannot get down on this. We need to let our representatives know what is going on. Get involved.

Also, think back in your life as to what you loved doing. Think of yourself as self employed. Sell yourself. Maybe there is a business in your city that needs help 1 day a week or maybe 4 hours a day. Try it. As a small business owner, I could handle $100 per week but not $400 per week.

Movin'on - you sound like you love animals. How about a dog sitting service? It's also great exercise.

I also have a disability which keeps me from some things (blind in 1 eye, vision not great in the other) but my mom always told me that there is someone who needs you and is worse off than you are. Think of the positive you can offer.

I know it's hard but find a community organization, church, temple, something that has a type of outreach. Give it some time.

Check into work at home jobs - westathome.com is one. You are on the phone.

Good luck. We need to show each other compassion and be there for each other through these difficult times. We also need to educate this world that one size does not fit all and life does not end at 65 or whatever number one may think. My husband has clients in their 80's (one is 89), still working b/c they want to and they look amazing!

Last edited by Bette; 10-19-2009 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Added text

Old 10-19-2009, 08:36 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,724,326 times
My husband was laid off over a year ago and his unemployment has been exhausted. Absolutely nothing job wise in sight for him. He has his good and bad days. Sometimes I feel like I want to give him my job because I know I could probably find something else even if it paid a little less.

I'll be just another voice out here telling you to hang in there and stay focused. However, I sincerely mean it.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,776,308 times
I'm just happy now to know that I'm getting $4700 in extended benefits after my 2nd extension just ran out. Plus SSDI. But I'm applying for jobs and being thrifty. What keeps me happy now is cooking and good food - that's what I spend my money on to make me happy. When I'm bored, I reach into my cookbooks and cook up a great looking recipe. Makes time fly by and if it taste great whatta reward. No I can bake a better carrot cake and brownies than anything you can buy... So cooking is a nice thing to pick up in these hard times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment