Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 12:27 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,941,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Wow, Im glad this is not a CC company. It is just a regular 40 hours a week job at call center. People call in and do their banking but over the phone.
I believe the poster was referring to call center (CC), not another type of company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 04:36 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,253,481 times
Also, you were supposed to get benefits, but had to log 32 hr/week to be benefits eligible, then they kept shorting your hours so you never hit that magic formula to get benefits, advertised a fantastic benefits package, might as well use it as a lure, WTH, no one ever qualified for it, so they could paint any picture they wanted.

I got a cramp in my butt from sitting so long, and you need to wear an Attends, you only get 2 five minute potty breaks and 30 min lunch, the job wasn't worth peeing myself!

Old 08-08-2009, 05:35 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I've worked in a call center but not a Bank call center.

Good points:
(1)You have a job
(2)Most customers are nice to talk to and the one's who aren't can turn nice if you don't talk down to them or get irate just because they are. I considered that a challenge-the irate customers, that is and quite enjoyed deaing with them and ending up the call with them all happy!
(3)Environment is usually pretty nice and clean
(4) the hours can vary. some like that-I did

The BAD
(1) Management is sometimes on an ego trip
(2) Calls are monitored and nitpicked by manager
(3) NO matter how many accolades you get from a customer-the managers only recall any bad calls you might encounter
(4)don't drink much because bathroom breaks can be few and far between
(5) May end up working holidays (but as I said, I don't know how a bank handles that)
(6) really irate customers who won't act reasonable no matter how nice you are. Don't let them bait you into an argument--that only will bite YOU in the end ( no pun intended)
Good points.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:48 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I believe the poster was referring to call center (CC), not another type of company.

Oh, right.....
Thanks

Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Also, you were supposed to get benefits, but had to log 32 hr/week to be benefits eligible, then they kept shorting your hours so you never hit that magic formula to get benefits, advertised a fantastic benefits package, might as well use it as a lure, WTH, no one ever qualified for it, so they could paint any picture they wanted.

I got a cramp in my butt from sitting so long, and you need to wear an Attends, you only get 2 five minute potty breaks and 30 min lunch, the job wasn't worth peeing myself!
The hours the lady told me equals 45 hours so that obviously includes your lunch break. And my husband has me covered under his plan so I don't need the benefits.
At my current job I am on my feet for 10 hours straight so I guess this will be a big change.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I've worked in a call center but not a Bank call center.

Good points:
(1)You have a job
(2)Most customers are nice to talk to and the one's who aren't can turn nice if you don't talk down to them or get irate just because they are. I considered that a challenge-the irate customers, that is and quite enjoyed deaing with them and ending up the call with them all happy!
(3)Environment is usually pretty nice and clean
(4) the hours can vary. some like that-I did

The BAD
(1) Management is sometimes on an ego trip
(2) Calls are monitored and nitpicked by manager
(3) NO matter how many accolades you get from a customer-the managers only recall any bad calls you might encounter
(4)don't drink much because bathroom breaks can be few and far between
(5) May end up working holidays (but as I said, I don't know how a bank handles that)
(6) really irate customers who won't act reasonable no matter how nice you are. Don't let them bait you into an argument--that only will bite YOU in the end ( no pun intended)
For #2 under the bad, I was fired for long talk times because I was trying to give a customer GOOD customer service and not say "oh, I am at my talk time, thank you for calling (name of the company) goodbye" for those of you wondering why I got fired from 3 call centers in my town, that was why.

For #6 under the bad, that is why I come home everyday and drink beer, just to calm my nerves because of the idiots that call the center and cuss you out for no reason, and you can't hang up on them.

If the call center you are working for is a good call center, you should be VERY VERY VVEERRYY lucky, because most call centers are like the state prison. Management treats you like a prisoner, and so does your supervisor.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:17 PM

A call center is a **it job. For the poister who said she's now on her feet 10/hours/day, well, that is difficult, but sitting all day is brutal, too. I mean, you can't even stand up, stretch, or shift position in your chair without getting the evil eye from your supervisor. You're allowed 2 5 min potty breaks, other than that, just hold it. If you're on your feet, at least you can go to the bathroom if you can sneak off, and I've been written up for long talk time, also written up for not enough upsales, try selling 10 upsales to someone who doesn't speak English and wants to argue, wants everything repeated 10 times, you exceed your talk time and don't make the sale, I was fired for that, I protested how could I control such a call, they fired me, anyways.

the toll it takes on your nerves is leathal!

Old 08-08-2009, 11:46 PM

At least having been on the other end, if I make a call I'm not harrassing the poor smuck on the other end. I give information as they ask, don't give them my address when they ask for my phone number, etc, spell my name, don't assume they know it, and give them my email one character at a time, don't describe it, give it, not --it my last name, with my first initial , and the last 4 numbers of my phone number, arrgh!

I don't aruge with them about the cost, they didn't set it, I don't ask why S&H is so high, that's what it costs, in short, I try not to add to their misery, knowing how it is to be on the other side. The real dillies are the foreigners who act like its your problem you don't understand their mishmash, hey, for $10/hour, don't expect me to be mutlilingual!

I lost my job because of some Chinese caller who couldn't understand English, kept asking the same question over and over, couldn't spell her own name, but could understand perfectly the cost, wanted to know why I was "cheating her" when the total rounded up by one cent, it totals it for you, I'm not adding it up and inputing it, you can't hang up on such callers or risk your job, but I lost my job anyways because I was on the call almost 45 min and didn't make the sale, because of one cent!

I wish people would realize when they take their hositlities out on a call center smuck, they are risking the job they need to feed their children. Hope they get their jollies, while taking the foold out of someone's mouth. In this desperate economy, don't risk someone's job for your ego.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:58 AM

576 posts, read 994,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
At least having been on the other end, if I make a call I'm not harrassing the poor smuck on the other end. I give information as they ask, don't give them my address when they ask for my phone number, etc, spell my name, don't assume they know it, and give them my email one character at a time, don't describe it, give it, not --it my last name, with my first initial , and the last 4 numbers of my phone number, arrgh!

I don't aruge with them about the cost, they didn't set it, I don't ask why S&H is so high, that's what it costs, in short, I try not to add to their misery, knowing how it is to be on the other side. The real dillies are the foreigners who act like its your problem you don't understand their mishmash, hey, for $10/hour, don't expect me to be mutlilingual!

I lost my job because of some Chinese caller who couldn't understand English, kept asking the same question over and over, couldn't spell her own name, but could understand perfectly the cost, wanted to know why I was "cheating her" when the total rounded up by one cent, it totals it for you, I'm not adding it up and inputing it, you can't hang up on such callers or risk your job, but I lost my job anyways because I was on the call almost 45 min and didn't make the sale, because of one cent!

I wish people would realize when they take their hositlities out on a call center smuck, they are risking the job they need to feed their children. Hope they get their jollies, while taking the foold out of someone's mouth. In this desperate economy, don't risk someone's job for your ego.

Ugggh. That is a very real frustration with a call center job. Foreigners who cannot speak english well enough to be understood. So frustrating. I know there are times when I feel like "ARE THERE ANY JUST PLAIN AMERICAN/ENGLISH speaking folks anymore out there?".

It gets so maddening. I hate to sound so narrow minded and short sided on the topic. But it's the truth.

The large majority seem very understanding when you tactfully ask them to repeat their name, and spell it for you slowly. The vast majority are very good at understanding the fact that you can't understand them. But there are those who are rude, and they will not slow down to spell their name or their english is so poor that even when they spell it, you still can't understand them well enough to do your job. That's when it's really really bad.

In my job, I have to be able to look up their information in my system. That can be done by asking for their name, their acct. number, their home phone number. There are times when no matter what you ask them, you can't make out what is being said because their english is so poor. And no we are not allowed to ask them if they would like a translator. They have to request that service. For us to do so is deemed being rude.

You simply have to struggle through and work through it as best you can to get to the end point. It's awful. And yes the call-time shoots way up, as it's taking forever just to get enough information just to be able to pull their account up. Can't even handle the matter that they called to have taken care of because you can't get past how to locate their information because you can't understand them. It's the worst.

I try to, (it's hard to do so) remember that it's probably not easy for them either. If I do so, it makes it a little more easy to handle and not get so frustrated. I try to remember that this person is being spoken to in english, which obviously is not their native language, so they are having to assimilate what is being asked of them, in a language not easy for them to understand, and then translate it sort of in their own head, to their own language, and then filter it back out with the appropriate information that I need, again, in a language not native to them. Has to be equally as frustrating for them too.

But you are right. That does have to be one at the very top of the list of frustrations with a call center job.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:52 AM

It seams like working at a call center is the worst job on earth and you will most likely get fired for something. I mean, does anybody stay beyond 1 year? What call Centers have you guys worked for that were that bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment