Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 08:16 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times

Advertisements

To me, if I was hiring manager, I wouldn't necessarily not hire a person because of past felony, misdemeanor, whatever. It depends on what the crime was, obviously, and what the person has done (or not done) since the conviction. Does he have a solid job history and references, even if it was 'only' a fast food position?

I've never committed a misdemeanor/felony, the worst I've done is traffic violation (not fully stopping at light, u-turn in wrong area). But I am also sympathetic towards others.

What people did in the past shouldn't necessarily be held against them.

I remember Pat Tillman, the former NFL player who gave it all up to join the Army and become a Ranger (and was tragically killed in Afghanistan).

When he was in high school, he got involved in a fight and beat up a guy so bad that he was originally charged with a felony. The felony was reduced to a misdemeanor and he spent a month in juvenile detention. He learned from that incident and he said as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 10:31 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,421,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty2534 View Post
I am 24 and have a violent felony. Ass. To robbery and false imprisonment. I took the rap for an x boyfriend. Yes I was young and stupid and had no idea what I was getting myself into.I went to prison at the age of 18 and just got out last year at the age of 23. I am not going to lie it has been really hard for me. I had no idea how this decision I made in my life would mess it up forever. I almost committed suicide because I couldn't find a job but instead I called out to god for help. After that I got hired at Wendy's. It's not the best job in the world but it's something. I think God for my job but I also don't wanna be working at Wendy's for the rest of my life. I am currently looking for a better job but it's very hard. But I trust God something will come through. I refuse to give up and feel sorry for myself. I made a mistake, paid my dues and change my life. I will not give up hope.
Way to go! You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you!
Perhaps you can go back to school and get a certification or degree that would allow you to work with people in your situation. I consider all life experience as "credentials" (even prison) but you have to balance it with formal education. It can be a real testimony to say "yes, I was in prison but look what I did when I got out."

Old 02-22-2015, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 852 times
I am a convicted felon. I was sentenced to 5 years in the penitentiary for aggravated assault. I was drunk and I got into a fight, and I hurt the other guy pretty bad. I served all my time. I was nineteen when it happened, now I am going on 28 in a couple months. I am a completely different person than that hot headed nineteen year old. I am married, and am expecting my first child. It is extremely difficult for me to find a decent job that I can support my growing family with. Everyone worth working for, requires drug screening(not an issue, as I don't use drugs), and a background check. If anyone can help me find something, I would greatly appreciate it. I am an extremely hard worker, fast learner, and I am very amiable and easy to get along with. My email is [email]davidnlong@yahoo.com[/email]. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:30 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,105,327 times
Being a hiring manager for a while, I recommend some people for hiring that had convictions in their past that I knew about. If someone hid their conviction, I wouldn't have found it. I just knew if they told me. If they had a good answer when asked about it, I would still recommend them for the job. I wanted employees that could get the work done, I didn't give a crap about their felony if it wasn't going to keep them from being productive.

I would toss an applicant for having DUIs (driving was related to the job), but I could overlook many other felonies if they had a decent answer.

PS. It is a shame some people in my (former) job won't look at the complete applicant and ask "How well would this person do the job?".

Old 02-23-2015, 07:41 AM

457 posts, read 646,621 times
I think ex-felons have a better chance than recent college graduates with good or near-perfect grades and no work experience (thus no "work" references.") I think in most states there's some kind of Department of Rehabilitation type service that they can get through the unemployment office that will help them. Not so for recent college graduates and minorities. So it's not like they're the WORST-off cohort.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:30 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,058,918 times
Uh no those with bad credit are worse off than ex felons especially in Massachusetts where you are essentially barred from working for any of the well known financial institutions in Boston in any capacity. Recent college grads employers are tripping over themselves to hire because they 1-have this positive attitude that somehow trumps ability and skills 2- can text on an iPhone means they are up to date in technology and this 'fun to be around nonsense. '. Remember that mommy and daddy pay the state DA to remove charges any trace from their records for those bar fights that frequently happen or drunk driving accidents that many times kill someone

Old 02-23-2015, 11:38 AM

897 posts, read 1,181,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Uh no those with bad credit are worse off than ex felons especially in Massachusetts where you are essentially barred from working for any of the well known financial institutions in Boston in any capacity. Recent college grads employers are tripping over themselves to hire because they 1-have this positive attitude that somehow trumps ability and skills 2- can text on an iPhone means they are up to date in technology and this 'fun to be around nonsense. '. Remember that mommy and daddy pay the state DA to remove charges any trace from their records for those bar fights that frequently happen or drunk driving accidents that many times kill someone
Mhm. I don't know why this is, either. Who has good credit in this economy? Especially once those student loans are in repayment, you can kiss your credit score goodbye. Mine was in the 700's and for some odd reason sunk like a rock once they went into repayment - even though I was making the payments.

Ugh.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:26 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,058,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Mhm. I don't know why this is, either. Who has good credit in this economy? Especially once those student loans are in repayment, you can kiss your credit score goodbye. Mine was in the 700's and for some odd reason sunk like a rock once they went into repayment - even though I was making the payments.

Ugh.
The recruiter's don't know either. Of course Boston is a very snotty spoon in mouth city where most of the college kid's have mommy and daddy pay for their 4 years along with off campus housing in the trendy snooty town's like Brookline; Somerville and Newton so when you have everything handed to you and you Summer on the cape every weekend in the summer you think Of those with bad credit or who are poor as the lowest Of society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment