Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 06:57 AM

48 posts, read 157,704 times

Advertisements

In April 2002 my husband was laid off from Sprint PCS after working for them for 6 years. His whole call center was closed. In total they laid off 522 people and it was so large that Sprint was required by Federal law to notify the city we live in.

Since he had been there for 6 years he was vested with the company. When he was let go he received severance and a small pension check.

After he was let go he was unable to find work and ended up filing for bankruptcy. Since then he's had steady employment.

Fast forward to today, we are trying for our first mortgage. The underwriter is asking for proof that he was laid off. We have nothing since it's been 7 years. We contacted Sprint who has all of their work verification through a third party. That company has him listed as retired. Listing him as retired means he left voluntarily. It lists where he worked. We contacted Sprint and they only show that he cashed his pension check (wouldn't you if you were out of work). We went back and found news articles from that time that show that Sprint closed the center and laid everyone off. In the article it says the time and the address for the center which matches the address that Sprint says my husband "retired" from.

Our mortgage hangs on the what ever we can do to prove he was laid off. We don't know what else we could provide or who else we can talk too.

Does anyone have any advice or info as who we might talk too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:02 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,522 times
Does you husband have anyway to contact his former supervisor? He may be able to direct him to someone who can help.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:17 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Can you get a rpintout showing he collected unemployment benefits during that time? You can't collect u/e if you "retire."

Old 07-08-2009, 09:11 AM

So we just heard back from Sprint, they can't go back that far to fix the retirement problem. His former boss was laid off with him and he no longer has contact with him.

The only thing else we can try is the unemployment and hope they can go back to 2002. I doubt it since it's 7 years old.

I've resigned myself to not getting the house, it just hurts since we can afford it, it would be better for us since it's cheaper than our rent.

Nice guys do finish last.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:18 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Doe View Post
Sometimes it does feel like this. We were going to buy a nice plot of land and a small mobile home with thoughts of replacing it and getting a new one.
This was in August. In a few short weeks, we were told we were 'denied' by our mortgage company (due to not having a way to assess the property, not due to our credit score which was excellent), I left my job, and we had to rent somewhere else. (we were told to leave by the new owner of the house we were renting.)

The only good point of this place (we are now in a complex) is they allow dogs and it is closer to the stores. Otherwise, we still wish we got that property.

I hope things turn around for you and you can get a better house in the future!!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:33 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Doe View Post
So we just heard back from Sprint, they can't go back that far to fix the retirement problem. His former boss was laid off with him and he no longer has contact with him.

The only thing else we can try is the unemployment and hope they can go back to 2002. I doubt it since it's 7 years old.

I've resigned myself to not getting the house, it just hurts since we can afford it, it would be better for us since it's cheaper than our rent.

Try LinkedIn to find his old boss in case the unemployment people cannot find the records. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:53 AM

We contacted our states unemployment and they don't keep records that long. The gentleman told my husband "I've never heard of that from a mortgage company and I've done this job for 15 years."

It just stinks cause we have 10k saved and good credit. Our mortgage would be $525 compared to our $944 rent.

I'll see if we can find his old boss, but I doubt it will do any good. They (underwriter) want something on Sprint letterhead.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Are you checking with your local Sprint organization or going through corporate? If not corporate, I would send a certified return receipt letter to the CEO of Sprint corporate documenting everything that's happened and send a copy to the mortgage company. It's worth a try. Good luck.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:13 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Can you try another mortgage broker?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:34 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,525 times
If you get laid off and don't work for 7 years and receive a pension, you aren't unemployed. You are retired. Sorry.

Would it be possible to simply leave him off the mortgage application?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment