Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 AM

378 posts, read 773,392 times

Advertisements

I'm having difficulty in landing a job offer, which was never an issue in the past. I've extensive IT experience and great provisor test scores. I'm current on technology, due to part-time experince since I stayed home with my kids.

In the past, I would get jobs fast and easy. The interviews were a breeze. I think it's very competative out there, and the companies are looking for an EXACT fit. With each interview, I'm getting better and more relaxed, but it's STILL so disheartening.

Any support will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,146,971 times
Just keep plugging away. You seem to ahve everything going for you--including a good attitude.

What general geographical area are you in?

Old 05-14-2009, 08:58 AM

378 posts, read 773,392 times
I'm in PA near Philly. So, there's plenty of great companies out here. I'm just rusty (old fashion buzz words! ), and it shows on my interviews. I do pass the technical aspect of the interviews, but then something doesn't click with the managers. I believe I know now and will be more prepared, in the future. The good thing is that I'm getting my foot in the door, just need to get the other one in, too.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,750,063 times
Do you have a warm, friendly, outgoing, confident personality? That is what really sells, along with skills. Among people vying for the same job with the same skills, the personality is what gets the job.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:03 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,826,573 times
As you can see from this forum you're certainly not alone, not that that's any help but at least it goes to show that it's not a direct reflection on your capabilities. We're seeing the same thing here in the islands and it's very dispiriting. Our job market here is even more limited than on the mainland and in the past year I've had to say goodbye to several old and dear friends who've lost their jobs and have had no choice but to go to the mainland where their chances might be a little better. Good luck to you!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,146,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post
I'm in PA near Philly. So, there's plenty of great companies out here. I'm just rusty (old fashion buzz words! ), and it shows on my interviews. I do pass the technical aspect of the interviews, but then something doesn't click with the managers. I believe I know now and will be more prepared, in the future. The good thing is that I'm getting my foot in the door, just need to get the other one in, too.
Interviewing is something that you have to practice like everything else in life. When I knew I'd be getting laid off I began applying for jobs right away, and went on a couple of interviews for jobs I wasn't planning on taking even if they had been offered, just to scrape off the interview cobwebs.

I'd suggest asking a friend to conduct mock interviews with you. Get a book on interviewing from the library and have the friend ask random questions from the book. That way you'll feel more at ease in the actual interview, and can have answers to some of the tougher questions already prepared.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:44 PM

355 posts, read 2,405,099 times
annerk has some good tips. LOL--love the 'scrape off the interview cobwebs.'

joybeing, I feel for ya. I'm in the same boat as you are & it's not easy. I'm definitely getting better at interviewing, too. You really have to step it up a notch in this economy.

If you have anyone who can practice mock interviews with, I'd do that. It has helped me. I also have 2 books I've used---"Job Interviews for Dummies" by Joyce Lain Kennedy & my favorite "101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions" by Ron Fry. I've also used About.com & searched "job interview questions" & found some great stuff there, too.

Most important thing is to be confident. Make the employer want you & know that you have the skills & qualifications to do the job.

Good luck..:hugs:

Old 05-14-2009, 01:51 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,100,174 times
Joy, I am in the same boat. I stayed home for years and only had one job since we moved here (from another state).

The economy in the Northeast, particularly Northern New England is not very good (never is, honestly). I know there were more jobs when we moved up here in September 07 than now. I remember getting 2 or 3 calls for every 10 resumes.

If you can, try and take as many interviews as possible. Also try and volunteer. Getting out of the house is vital.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:03 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,704,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Joy, I am in the same boat. I stayed home for years and only had one job since we moved here (from another state).

The economy in the Northeast, particularly Northern New England is not very good (never is, honestly). I know there were more jobs when we moved up here in September 07 than now. I remember getting 2 or 3 calls for every 10 resumes.

If you can, try and take as many interviews as possible. Also try and volunteer. Getting out of the house is vital.
As Summer approaches the librarys seem to be calling for volunteers. That at least gets you a reference and some job experience (even if its no pay).

Old 05-15-2009, 06:55 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,100,174 times
Not where we live. All the elderly work at the libraries (which suck here, by the way). Vermont is heavily into having very old people work (they can't afford to retire).

I believe half the problem with this state are all the older workers who STILL have to work long after people their age in other places have retired to Florida or wherever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment