Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 12:22 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,495,720 times

Advertisements

I read desktop support in IT as entry level. I keep getting recruiters wanting me to work contract assignments in more entry level IT positions? I have passed since I am self taught and not sure how good I would do at it. But I know one thing for sure I always know more whenever I call for support than the support people do.

1. Is this entry level?
2. What would be the approx. pay be or what should I ask?
3. Should I just go for it and if I can't figure it out just walk on day one?

I basically do all the support for basic puter/IT stuff for family and friends, even for my part time job.

This would be a fallback if my high tech sales opps fall through.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 04:00 AM

209 posts, read 292,745 times
Hi Colorado.

I'm no IT expert here. I'm just a mid-life, unemployed career changer looking to break into IT myself. However, here's my two cents for whatever it may be worth.

Traditionally, the help desk was an entry level position. What your duties would be would likely depend on the organization you work for. I am currently interning for an organization as a field tech. Our help desk takes all the tech calls from within the organization and tries to resolve the issue remotely. If it can't be done, a ticket goes out to a field tech to resolve the issue. For us, both the help desk and the field techs have to have a solid knowledge and understanding of anything related to Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, any of the custom software developed for the organization, as well as to be able to resolve voice issues, computer hardware issues, printer issues, portable device issues and so on and so forth. There can be a heck of a lot to know and memorize.

What I'm seeing in my area is the help desk can range from being a true entry level job to one where you're more of a support engineer. There's one organization about a half an hour south of me that's always looking for phone support people. The pay starts at about $11.00/hour and the tier one support personnel pretty much read from scripts what needs to be done to resolve the issue. On the other hand, there's another organization I interviewed with at one time that was producing highly customized software to interface with various industrial customers. The help desk person on that job needed to have a solid understanding of industrial control systems on top of the basic Windows stuff that he or she could run in to. For that job, the pay started in the mid $30's but also required a four year technical degree.

What I'm also running into is the old "lack of experience" thing. Where I'm interning right now, they do have an opening for an entry level help desk person. The want a two year degree and three years of experience or a BS with one to two years of experience. For entry level. So, in spite of fixing computers for friends and family, that may or may not be enough for some or even most organizations.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:08 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,302,314 times
In general, desktop support provides user experience support. This includes light troubleshooting, education, as well as a point of contact for reporting issues. Depending on the organization, the help desk's involvement can vary. Some are strictly CSR based. They only take your request and fill out a ticket. In other organizations, they get involved in some light troubleshooting. And some are actually in charge of all functions of the desktop/laptops (imaging, repair, maintenance, etc.).

Pay will depends on the job at hand, as well as location. Obviously, no IT experience is necessary to just answer phones... but in other places, they may want 1-2 years of experience in PC troubleshooting, configuration and maintenance (sort of what a A+ cert validates) as you will be handling that responsibility as well. In the end, what they ask for will depend on the demand/supply of the talent.

Its considered entry level because it's really a stepping stone into more established IT careers. You start with PC support, then that branches of to servers or networking, then security etc.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,543,625 times
There can be different levels of support for this job so your experience may or may not be acceptable to the employer. Do they ask for certifications? Other education? If so, and you don't have any you may not be considered for the job. Employers in my area (SC) pay $10-$12/hr for this job.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:54 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
Mostly it's going to be break/fix stuff on software and hardware and user training. You'd need a good knowledge of commercial off the shelf software, the hardware the client uses, as well as any custom software you are supporting. Like myrc60 said, most of these jobs pay $10-$12 hour on contract with no benefits.

Also, these "entry level" jobs don't lead to more advanced jobs in IT, at least not like the used to. They tend to be thought of more as customer service, like a fast food worker, than an IT staff member.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:56 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,995,263 times
If some guy who likes to brag on CD about how much money he makes adds a post to this thread claiming desktop support is not part of IT, disregard said post.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:25 AM

827 posts, read 1,090,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Mostly it's going to be break/fix stuff on software and hardware and user training. You'd need a good knowledge of commercial off the shelf software, the hardware the client uses, as well as any custom software you are supporting. Like myrc60 said, most of these jobs pay $10-$12 hour on contract with no benefits.

Also, these "entry level" jobs don't lead to more advanced jobs in IT, at least not like the used to. They tend to be thought of more as customer service, like a fast food worker, than an IT staff member.
You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,552,450 times
bottom of the barrel.

in my company these are reserved for the big fat road hog biker types... I suspect this is in line with their hiring manager
if this job is a permanent position, a true *entry* level, then go for it (take caution tho). just make sure there is a path out of it, some career mobility program maybe.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:00 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,902,859 times
IT Support Salary Range

Old 08-30-2013, 10:16 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
I've applied for and been in enough of these jobs to know that desktop support and help desk usually lead to nothing but more of the same roles - no matter how much education/certifications you have or the amount of experience you have. I remember when I was a senior in high school, and this wasn't even ten years ago, I worked part-time as a desktop tech direct hire for a small company who did promote IT staff from within. Most of their network and system admins at the time started on the help desk or as a bench tech, but today, this same company considers entry level jobs as temporary, and the more advanced roles are contracted out.

The IT market, at least for junior and mid-level infrastructure personnel, has worsened over the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment