Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:21 AM

378 posts, read 774,906 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone! I like the idea of having mock interview(s). That will definitely help in solving some of my articulation issues. As far as volunteering, I'd love to, but I'm already contracting part-time. My confidence is at its all time low, at the moment, and it's something that I need to work on. Thanks everyone again for great ideas and support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 03:30 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,287,045 times
Also prepare for job interviews even if you have none scheduled so that you will be ready once you get your next one

Old 05-15-2009, 03:35 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post
Thanks everyone! I like the idea of having mock interview(s). That will definitely help in solving some of my articulation issues. As far as volunteering, I'd love to, but I'm already contracting part-time. My confidence is at its all time low, at the moment, and it's something that I need to work on. Thanks everyone again for great ideas and support.

Well if your confidence is LOW you won't find a job. So you have to keep track of small accomplishments during your job hunt so that your confidence can grow.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:42 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,158,370 times
Quote:
I'm having difficulty in landing a job offer, which was never an issue in the past. I've extensive IT experience and great provisor test scores. I'm current on technology, due to part-time experince since I stayed home with my kids.

In the past, I would get jobs fast and easy. The interviews were a breeze. I think it's very competative out there, and the companies are looking for an EXACT fit. With each interview, I'm getting better and more relaxed, but it's STILL so disheartening.

Any support will be appreciated.
It's exactly what you said. There is a lot of COMPETITION out there now a days because of the economy, everyone losing their jobs, everyone trying to find a better job. Its' really hard to land something that you really want because SO many other people want the same thing now.

Eventually something will come through and someone will find your experience and past training and skills a perfect match for what they are looking for and need for their company.

Good Luck to you, let us know what happens

Old 05-15-2009, 05:16 PM

2,364 posts, read 11,149,980 times
Don't know if this will help, but yesterday I met a guy who told me that he got his last construction job, by standing outside a construction site every day for a month at 6 am.

Every day the site supervisor would see him.

Finally after a month they hired him!!

Quote:
I'm having difficulty in landing a job offer, which was never an issue in the past. I've extensive IT experience and great provisor test scores. I'm current on technology, due to part-time experince since I stayed home with my kids.

In the past, I would get jobs fast and easy. The interviews were a breeze. I think it's very competative out there, and the companies are looking for an EXACT fit. With each interview, I'm getting better and more relaxed, but it's STILL so disheartening.

Any support will be appreciated.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:29 PM

2,983 posts, read 9,871,498 times
apply, apply, apply, thats all I can say, It took me 6 months to get my first job offer. And I like you, in the past, never went over a month, got hired before UE kicked in, now, the benefits are about to expire. You have to apply for every job you think you might be qualified for, go to every interview you can, figure out why you aren't getting things right, and then work those to your advantage, then try again. Just pretend you're a knife, each interview is a whetstone, so when you come out, you're sharper than before, you've gained something each time. Sooner or later, you will be sharp enough to cut through that interview. You just have to keep sharpening your skills.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:37 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
apply, apply, apply, thats all I can say, It took me 6 months to get my first job offer. And I like you, in the past, never went over a month, got hired before UE kicked in, now, the benefits are about to expire. You have to apply for every job you think you might be qualified for, go to every interview you can, figure out why you aren't getting things right, and then work those to your advantage, then try again. Just pretend you're a knife, each interview is a whetstone, so when you come out, you're sharper than before, you've gained something each time. Sooner or later, you will be sharp enough to cut through that interview. You just have to keep sharpening your skills.

When do you start your job? in June? I wish I was starting after memorial day

Old 05-16-2009, 01:29 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,950,285 times
First of all do not use a one size fits all resume. Re-write each resume to fit the job you are applying for. Prepare a cover letter that highlights all the bullets they are looking for. If you get called for an interview, thats great. Prepare for that interview. Dress better than the job requires. Thank them for the interview on the way out.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:27 AM

2,364 posts, read 11,149,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
When do you start your job? in June? I wish I was starting after memorial day

When are you starting T.V. guy? And which job did you decide on? Window One,Two or Three!!

Don't forget to vote this Tuesday! I am voting for Mcelhatton!

good luck on your first week!

Old 05-16-2009, 05:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,292,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
First of all do not use a one size fits all resume. Re-write each resume to fit the job you are applying for. Prepare a cover letter that highlights all the bullets they are looking for. If you get called for an interview, thats great. Prepare for that interview. Dress better than the job requires. Thank them for the interview on the way out.
I disagree with rewriting the resume for each job. In I/T you've got a specific skill set. They need that skill set or they don't. Any other skills you have over and above are just gravy. I don't know of any I/T employer looking for a Java programmer who wouldn't hire the person because in addition to Java they also know SQL.

The cover letter is what should be rewritten/tweaked for each position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment