Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:46 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
What if she is a mind-changer and changes her mind about hiring me, then I have no job.
You already have questions about their hiring practices, so this is a legit concern.

But this is really your call - none of us knows how badly you need the extra money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 12:17 PM

900 posts, read 1,702,723 times
I resigned and now they are asking to keep me to give more money- now what?????????? Still hoping for advice. thank-you (still not as much as the other place, $2.50 more an hour.)

Old 04-07-2009, 11:51 AM

41 posts, read 146,381 times
This is what I would do and it is just me. I would go for the job security. I hate working for companies where there is no respect and the boss is crazy. No amount of money is going to make you like the job when that is going on. The job that you wanted initially sounds like it may have those types of issue. Also they may have hired someone and that person did not like the job so they quit.

If you like your current job and money is not a real issue then I would stick it out and get some good experience at that job. But if you did not like it then it would be worth leaving for the crazy new job.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:23 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,838,481 times
Seems like where youre at is a place that already respects your work. A raise to keep you is admirable. Especially for today. $2.50 an hour, thats $100 a week, really nothing considering stress and security. A bird in the hand so to speak. The only thing is, now you have to ask yourself, when will your next raise be? Ask them that, tactfully of course. I would stay with the company youre working with. Been thru the stress and the pushy people, if you see it that way from the outside, trust me, its 10 times worse from the inside.
Consider benefits, and future. You may get more pay at the other job, but when would you get a raise there? what kind of job performance do they expect, if you don't meet it, what happens, one strike, youre out?
YOu did a gutsy thing by going to a new employer after a very short period of time and telling them the truth, and then they offered you a raise. That shows they want to keep you. You need to respect that as much as they are trying to respect you.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:49 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
I would stay where you are. And I would never go to the first suspicious company without a contract in writing. Although it may not be binding if they fool you. and they probably won't do one, anyway.

Stay where they are respecting you IMO. You can always leave another time.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 PM

412 posts, read 939,623 times
If you're making enough money to live on (pay the bills, save for retirement, save for short-term things, etc.), I'd stay in the current job. Working for a good boss is worth a lot, in my opinion.

Why would you give your current company only 1 week's notice, rather than the standard 2 weeks? Is the new company trying to get you to start in a week? If that's the case, I think that says a lot about how they operate, and I'd stay away.

Of course, only you know if working for a possibly bad boss is worth the extra money!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:09 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,902,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Seems like where youre at is a place that already respects your work. A raise to keep you is admirable. Especially for today. $2.50 an hour, thats $100 a week, really nothing considering stress and security. A bird in the hand so to speak. The only thing is, now you have to ask yourself, when will your next raise be? Ask them that, tactfully of course. I would stay with the company youre working with. Been thru the stress and the pushy people, if you see it that way from the outside, trust me, its 10 times worse from the inside.
Consider benefits, and future. You may get more pay at the other job, but when would you get a raise there? what kind of job performance do they expect, if you don't meet it, what happens, one strike, youre out?
YOu did a gutsy thing by going to a new employer after a very short period of time and telling them the truth, and then they offered you a raise. That shows they want to keep you. You need to respect that as much as they are trying to respect you.
Keep this in mind OP. This is hard to come by in this day and age!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 PM

HI everyone, and thank-you for the responses. I only gave 1 weeks notice b/c of my own choice, not the new company. They asked me when Id like to start and I said 9 or 10 days from now. (Turned out to be a little more than 1 weeks notice.) The new company was fine with whatever start date I chose. I believe (and yes, I do realize Im silly not to ask up front) there will be a contract. See, the job that pays better, but with less security (I don't think it's 1 strike you're out, but it could be) , is more in my field. I have more experience doing this and I do not feel I will fail. I think I will do very well, but as one poster pointed out, sales is something that sometimes is not under your control.
I will learn more shortly about the new place and I will update. I have so much going on now. I never imagined even 1 year ago all this (personal stuff, too) would be going on at once. The new job is like a dream job I once had. That is why (obviously with pay) I am so drawn to it. The current job, my boss is uncertain he can get me the extra $2.50 an hour, but confident he can, he said he would go to bat for me in a heartbeat , but, of course he has to know Id definately stay. I feel so bad. I can pay my bills with that extra $2.50, but the other job has the potential to get me out of debt- can you imagine? Anyways, thank-you again, time for reps 4 you guys .

Old 04-08-2009, 05:43 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
I think I will do very well, but as one poster pointed out, sales is something that sometimes is not under your control.
Well, either way it'll be a life learning experience.

Here's a little job interview tip. If a potential hiring manager asks you if sales has anything to do with luck you need to say NO it's about SKILL.

This is an interview question with a Fortune 500 company I know of and you don't get the job if you say sales is anything but skill. One person I know actually got chewed out by the interviewer for the "wrong answer" LOL. The funniest part is I used to work for that company and they route the calls to certain people in the call center to stack the deck in their favor. How hypocritical, right?

It's all a big game lol.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:55 PM

update, I have since started the new job. I found out on one side of the sales team, a lady got fired for no reason (not selling enough, but doing an ok job) after a few months. I am more worried about the lady who hired me finding out I asked too many questions.......... I am a nervous type and besides my own nosiness, there is no indication there will be a problem for me. The sale is a challange, but I feel I am a good sales person so if anyone can do it , I can. But if not.......... The other place said "if they're not treating you right, just call ......" they were really sad to see me go, provided there is an opening, and it is a high turnover job, I could go back. I should be ok at the new place, hopefully , though. All I can do is save money just to be safe........... Scarry times, but I felt I should go for it. There are many lower paying jobs that I feel I could get (similar to my first one) if it doesn't work. Hopefully it will. People are fired there, people quit, and people work for 3 years in some cases. What do you all think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment