Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:41 AM

104 posts, read 342,254 times

Advertisements

I have two job offers the first one is paying 9k more than the 2nd one

Both have good benefits both close to home.

The first company has such nice people. One concern is what I am currently going through with my current employer. I was told on my first interview there was no working late. I explain to them that would be nice because I was currently working late now and not being paid because I was misclassify ( no I left out the not pd part and the misclassify part). Now this is a new position & I am the 2nd person in it one red flag. 2nd red flag is the boss tells me to ask for more money and then offers me the job at 3k less than what he tells me to ask for. This would not be an issue but I am then told there is overtime and I was misclassify all over again.

I happen to know this is illegal because I have an attorney who is getting my money for overtime I currently worked at and came to find out my current employer is fully aware of this.

The 2nd company is less money still close and good benefits
But they are honest and straight forward and has promise to look at my income after 3months to give me an increase. On a net basis the two jobs is 200.00 differences per week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Explain your two red flags again please
1. What?
2. How did he ask you to ask more money?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,013,787 times
I would totally take the 2nd position. I'll take "honest & straight forward" any day...and if you're questioning some of the practices or statements now, before you accept, then I believe you'll have a heck of a time with similar nonsense after you begin work. And the 2nd position says they'll review your pay in 3 months...that sounds promising. Yep, 2nd position gets my vote!! Good luck!!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM

154 posts, read 524,605 times
The second company sounds better - you can always let them know that the salary is a concern of yours and you would like to know what you would need to do in 3 or 6 months to increase your salary. If you are so inclined, you can propose to put together a 3 (or 6 month) plan with objectives - before you accept the job. Work with them to include what salary kickers would be there for objectives as well.

Good luck - initiative and transparency go a long way.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Nobody is going to give you 9K in three months unless you are a superstar.

A "promise" means nothing unless it's on paper. I would not bet on it or even think about it. Besides, they won't give you 9K anyway even they "keep" their promise.

Like I said, please explain you 2 red flags so that I can give you a better insight.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nobody is going to give you 9K in three months unless you are a superstar.

A "promise" means nothing unless it's on paper. I would not bet on it or even think about it. Besides, they won't give you 9K anyway even they "keep" their promise.

Like I said, please explain you 2 red flags so that I can give you a better insight.
Neither job is promising me 9k more it is a 9k difference in pay being that the 1st job is offering 9k more. Net it comes out to be 200 per week.

The two red flags are
1. It's a new position and I am the second person in this role.
2. When I first interviewed with the company I was told it was no overtime. After I told them I currently work several hours overtime without pay
I was called back for a 2nd interview and then on the 3rd time I came into the office I was offer the job round table with the promise that I would receive a 3k increase after 6months (that is not in writing either) and told I would be working overtime without pay once again.

I am concern about the overtime without pay because my current employer did the same thing and I did do much overtime I resign and a lawyer is getting my money back. The position entitles me for overtime but the company dosnt want to pay it.
So now I am wondering did the 1st person leave for the same reason.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
Negotiate the 2nd job up by $9k if you can, if you prefer company #2. Tell them you have another offer for $X(first job's offer) and they(2nd company) are your very first choice and you seem like a great fit and is there any way they can meet the other company's offer of $X (add the $9k).

if they cannot meet it, maybe they can come up a few thousand.

Personally, I would go with the job that paid the most. That's just me....So i would choose job#1.

The promise at job#2 to make more money in 3 months, toss it out the window. Not gonna happen even if they are sincere. You gotta get the money coming in the door. After you are hired, they throw peanuts at you for small raises each year if you are lucky.

THE FIRST JOB, SOUNDS LIKE THE BOSS WAS HINTING FOR YOU TO NEGOTIATE THE STARTING PAY HIGHER THAN THE OFFER. SOUNDS LIKE THE OFFER IS COMING FROM HR AND BOSS WAS HELPING YOU GET A HIGHER PAY BY TELLING YOU WHERE THEY CAN GO. NICE BOSS, HE IS HELPING YOU ALREADY! this one is already $9 higher than the other but the boss already told you they can go higher, so go for it. You should negotiate for a higher starting salary, but DO NOT turn down the original offer. Say, "is there any way the starting salary can be increased to $XYZ. (where XYZ is $k greater than last offer),. If they can do it, then this job is now $12k more than the 2nd job. If they cannot, you can still think about it over the weekend, and get back to them Monday and then take the original offer Monday. Maybe you just take job#1 with the higher pay regardless. I think they will increase the offer, as the boss said.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLI123 View Post
Neither job is promising me 9k more it is a 9k difference in pay being that the 1st job is offering 9k more. Net it comes out to be 200 per week.

The two red flags are
1. It's a new position and I am the second person in this role.
2. When I first interviewed with the company I was told it was no overtime. After I told them I currently work several hours overtime without pay
I was called back for a 2nd interview and then on the 3rd time I came into the office I was offer the job round table with the promise that I would receive a 3k increase after 6months (that is not in writing either) and told I would be working overtime without pay once again.

I am concern about the overtime without pay because my current employer did the same thing and I did do much overtime I resign and a lawyer is getting my money back. The position entitles me for overtime but the company dosnt want to pay it.
So now I am wondering did the 1st person leave for the same reason.
You are very hard to understand. So I have to go by what I understand.

I frankly don't see anything wrong with the 1st job. Your "red flags" seem to be paranoia rather than rationale.

About the overtime, how much overtime are we talking about? Several hours overtime without pay in a month is nothing.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You are very hard to understand. So I have to go by what I understand.

I frankly don't see anything wrong with the 1st job. Your "red flags" seem to be paranoia rather than rationale.

About the overtime, how much overtime are we talking about? Several hours overtime without pay in a month is nothing.

What is hard to understand.

1 this is a new position and I am the 2nd person in it.

2. I was told there would be no o/t now there is o/t. Of course I do not know how much o/t because I have no started working there as of yet.

2a. A few hours a week adds up for me. For example my current employer did the same thing. I ended up working 10 hours a week in overtime time without pay. It came out to be 350.00 per week that is an additional 1400.00 per month -- that is something

Old 02-09-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLI123 View Post
What is hard to understand.

1 this is a new position and I am the 2nd person in it.

2. I was told there would be no o/t now there is o/t. Of course I do not know how much o/t because I have no started working there as of yet.

2a. A few hours a week adds up for me. For example my current employer did the same thing. I ended up working 10 hours a week in overtime time without pay. It came out to be 350.00 per week that is an additional 1400.00 per month -- that is something
What do you do exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search