Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 08:56 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,567 times

Advertisements

Hmm... I just started a new job last week and realized it's not what I was truly looking for. In other words, I can do it, but it's going to bore me to death So I'm going to start looking again while this one continues to be unfulfilling LOL

I have an MBA and a JD... never practiced, but would like to find a nice synergy between the two specialties. My background is corporate (GM, IBM) IT and quality... but I'm not sure of a good way to fit the law in there without actually having to practice. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:23 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
You could work in the legal department of just about any company. We had a Lawyer on our writing team while I was at one large corporation. Also, Legal had to review and approve any of our documents before they were published.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
Hmm... I just started a new job last week and realized it's not what I was truly looking for. In other words, I can do it, but it's going to bore me to death So I'm going to start looking again while this one continues to be unfulfilling LOL

I have an MBA and a JD... never practiced, but would like to find a nice synergy between the two specialties. My background is corporate (GM, IBM) IT and quality... but I'm not sure of a good way to fit the law in there without actually having to practice. Any ideas?
Impressive background. I, too, had a friend who went to one of the very good law schools on the West Coast, was admitted to the bar, practiced for a while in CA and then went to the East Coast to work for the legal department of a major corporation. He is not admitted to the bar in the new state of residence, yet has been at his job for quite a while. Also, are there are goverrnmental options that interest you such as working toward being an ALJ and things like that? I took undergraduate courses in business law and knew law school wasn't for me, though many of my friends went that way.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:47 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,791,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post

Just curious, why do you not want to practice?

Geez, IT seems like something you would be trying to rise above once you got the MBA and/or the JD. At least that was my plan when I attended Law School.

How about aiming for something C-Level. After all that's what you combination of degree would suggest. That or shooting or McKinsey Consulting, Boston Consulting, PWC, etc... then 20 years later, manage Nabisco... then AMEX, then IBM... you know, Like Lou Gerstner.

They year I did my first run in IBM, he made $114 million total compensation (2000).

Old 01-14-2009, 01:48 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,791,567 times
IT actually pays much better than law... at least, that's kind of the hole I dug myself I was working for GM when I was in law school, and the starting salary for a first year lawyer was about half what I was making. It wasn't feasible to ever really backtrack. When I married my husband, I thought it would be a great time to start fresh, but then he went and left private practice for a Public Health Service job that pays him in rainbows and sunshine

I graduated in Dec 05, so by now, if I haven't practiced, I really don't have much of a shot at doing so... and I never interned or did the grunt work because I was working a "real job" at the time. So I feel that door is closed to me at this point.

I just never felt the passion to practice I guess... I got some great skills out of the degree (communication, negotiation, mediation, contracts). I keep hoping for some visionary hiring manager to look at my experience and say .. Wow! Have I got a fit for you! Instead, most companies ask me to take the law degree off, and I've gotten a lot of offers, but nothing that synthesizes the experience. It seems to always be business-oriented with no law at all.

Consulting sounds great actually, and I was also considering Purchasing. Gotta put these negotiation skills to good use I do appreciate all of these suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment