Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 01:22 AM

611 posts, read 1,457,969 times

Advertisements

I used to talk to the people who sit in the cubicles around mine, but some of the older ladies are so judgemental that I just stopped talking. These women feel like they can say anything they want just because they are old enough to be my mom! I usually keep my MP3 player going and try to block out the office chit chat. It sucks, I wish their were some cooler people sitting around me, but what can I do? And they are always asking me to help them with their work, and that gets me behind on mine, its best to just stay to myself. But it does get hard when your semi ADD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 04:16 PM

27 posts, read 56,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_plain_woman View Post
Can you go all day without talking to someone at work and not get bored, restless or lonely?
iPod. God's gift to people who work with other people they really don't like. At all.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:25 PM

290 posts, read 638,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManRaySky View Post
iPod. God's gift to people who work with other people they really don't like. At all.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/animated%20gifs/377132001230479844-final.gif (broken link)

Old 01-15-2009, 12:06 AM

116 posts, read 446,981 times
I don't define myself externally. I am not a co-dependant parasite, sucking the life force and energy out of my companions. I am the warm center that people like you crowd around for heat.

I can work 12 hours by myself without saying a single word to anyone. That's pretty typical, actually.

Some people in this world are sheep, they cannot exist outside of the herd. Then there are the shepherds to guide them.

Some of us, though...some of us are lone wolves. We're here to go the places you won't and do the things you can't.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:25 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,179,332 times
All the jobs I ever had, which were few since I worked the same one for 30 years, I got hired to work. Not to BS.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,795,197 times
You're the HR person, you tell us?

Old 01-15-2009, 06:11 AM

27 posts, read 56,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateo View Post
I don't define myself externally. I am not a co-dependant parasite, sucking the life force and energy out of my companions. I am the warm center that people like you crowd around for heat.
worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

Old 01-15-2009, 09:41 AM

436 posts, read 1,650,467 times
Default Bland

Funny that I came across this post, as I sit here at my desk, listening to WMMS because it's the only thing that keeps me sane.
We have no office gossip or cliques, per se. Everyone is pretty boring and its annoying as all get out. Granted, I have work to do but I'm pretty good about doing mutiple tasks and getting them done in more than enough time.

I walk in the hallway every so often for various things. 50-75% of the people you will pass don't even look at you - or even up from the ground - let alone say hi or smile. I eat lunch at my desk because thats all anyone here does. It's quiet like a library all the time and there is rarely any social interaction. I think half the problem is the 'P.C.' fear that exists - 'be careful what you say because someone might get offended'. Seriously, people need to get over themselves and lighten up. Before you know it, someone breathing is going to 'offend' someone else. It's so annoying.

I do not have the personality for a desk job. I've realized this in the 3.5 years I have held one. I used to work in retail, where a 13 hour day would go by like it was nothing because of the interactions with customers and other co-workers - and it was awesome! Unfortunately, retail jobs don't pay very much, so I had to get a boring grown up job and utilize my degree. And I sit here. Stewing and fidgeting and having so much time to analyze my life - so much so that Im beginning to find fault in everything - despite the amount of work that I do.

Most office people are a whole different breed. A boring, non-sociable, spreadsheet-loving, bland breed. Atleast in my office. I am not one of them.
*This is not meant to 'offend' anyone. But, if it upsets you, just think about sunshine and butterflies and soon enough something else will occur that will offend you even more. *

Old 01-15-2009, 10:19 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,730,075 times
Default Your post

reminds me of an annoying co-worker of mine who constantly was trying to get me to talk to others and accused me of being unfriendly to her and others. My job requires a lot of concentration and being on the ball and on top of things. I find these types of workers are self absorbed and use fake friendliness just to steer you away from their own agenda and into theirs

Old 01-15-2009, 10:22 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,730,075 times
Default hey FPW

It was not my intention to devalue you or your post. I just have had a lot of problems with boorish aggressive coworkers who claim i am the aggressor (when they are) for simply doing a job the way one sees fit

I realize you were just expressing an opinion. this is a heated issue for me. i didn't mean to offend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment