Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 02:35 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by castufari View Post
Call Center people. I get a lot of calls. What's the nice way of dropping the call? I usually say "not interested, bye" and hang up. My ex would listen to 30 minutes of chat before saying she wasn't interested. I figure by ending the call I'm saving you some time.
Where I work, "not interested" just gets you placed back on the calling list, though lower on the list...you're still on the list.
Just say, "Remove me from your calling list please."
Of course not answering it is also great.
I respect people who don't want to participate but there are others who are such *******s about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 10:29 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,395 times
Babi-I bet its Anthem. and once again what you experienced is not the 'norm'. Unfortunately I have worked in a LOT of call centers and studied them on both the undergraduate and graduate level. Most people do not experience the upward mobility you experienced.

People will take the call center if that is what's offered but I have never heard of anyone going to college to specifically work in one.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:56 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Babi-I bet its Anthem. and once again what you experienced is not the 'norm'. Unfortunately I have worked in a LOT of call centers and studied them on both the undergraduate and graduate level. Most people do not experience the upward mobility you experienced.

People will take the call center if that is what's offered but I have never heard of anyone going to college to specifically work in one.
We have an enitre program geared to recruiting those who are close to obtaining their bachelors. It's proved very successful. They start in as managers and have to rotate to different positions every year. I can't seem to remember how long the total time in our EDP(Executive Development Program) they have to put in before becoming full fledged managers, but many have gone on to the director and vice president level.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
Are you some sort of manager or company PR rep? call center's ARE endless jobs with no room for improvement. 0.10 to 0.20 raise for busting balls is not a career or "great pay." It's a very thankless job next to the food industry.

Few places? how about most places. Everyone that is stuck in the call center industry are forced to rotate between the companies, eventually working for them all.

Not a PR rep, just love my job and our raises are based on percents. I personally have never seen a raise close to that low. I started out in March 2006 and was in HR (no degree...135 credits towards a double bachelor's that I never finished) by August of 2007 as a lead equivalent. I am simply treated with respect more than I have been anywhere else and busting my butt pays off there for me unlike any previous companies that I've worked for.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:19 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,395 times
Drama,
I am glad to see that they have cleaned up their act. Back in the 90's when I was there, they treated people in the worst way and turnover was very high.

Best of luck to ya!...

Old 12-26-2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Drama,
I am glad to see that they have cleaned up their act. Back in the 90's when I was there, they treated people in the worst way and turnover was very high.

Best of luck to ya!...
Aww... thanks!

Old 12-26-2008, 03:54 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Where I work, "not interested" just gets you placed back on the calling list, though lower on the list...you're still on the list.
Just say, "Remove me from your calling list please."
Of course not answering it is also great.
I respect people who don't want to participate but there are others who are such *******s about it.
Thanks.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:05 PM

65 posts, read 160,021 times
Love getting called! It's fun to act interested, then tell you guys to "hand on just a sec..."The record is 13 minutes, if any of you care to try to beat it! I figure that's about 50 people I kept from getting called!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:16 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
This is an interesting thread. Good to hear the other side of call centers. I look forward to getting my call from VW, as I always have gotten great service.

My son worked at a few call centers and liked the work- he called the public and made a game out of turning them around. (sick boy!) He also told me some of the mean things they did do folks who were ugly to them. (bad boy!) But he worked some funky deals- sold some stuff for septic tanks, auto repair videos- and he told me that a number of the workers would go out to the parking lot and smoke crack on their breaks.

Many years ago, I tried it and lasted four hours.... I can't take rejection. But my son's stint in that biz made me be a little nicer to those who call me, even if it is on my cell phone.

I guess it's apples and oranges, though, inbound VS outbound. It's a tough job and I applaud those of you who can do it well and stay in the zone.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:16 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopblock View Post
Love getting called! It's fun to act interested, then tell you guys to "hand on just a sec..."The record is 13 minutes, if any of you care to try to beat it! I figure that's about 50 people I kept from getting called!
Once 3 minutes are up, we are supposed to hang up.
I'd love to just sit there for 13 minutes, less people I have to call.

I love it when our server goes down or when we run out of numbers. At least when the server goes down we can sit there for an hour or two and get paid....and when we run out of numbers, we just get sent home. It's less hours on my check but it's less time I am stuck at my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment