Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:55 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,359,489 times

Advertisements

I generally tip $2 for the 1st drink and $1 after that.......but as far as food...I tip by the service I receive. I know they live off tips but thats their problem not mine....so if I get ok service they get an ok tip. If I get horrible service I wont tip at all. I mean the whole idea of a tip is To Insure Prompt Service (t.i.p.s). I dont need someone to do a half a$$ed job and think they are getting a big tip from me...sorry no can do. I have served as well as bartended and its not easy but if you arent getting tipped well then you need to change professions..I wont give a tip just because......thats giving away free money. If I wanted half a$$ed service I woulda ordered take out..JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 06:16 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Percentage tipping is one of the most ill-conceived idea in the working world!
I have both owned restaurants and worked as a waitress and bartender so I'm not just talking as a customer.

Servers in low priced places generally work 4 times as hard as those in high priced establishments but, due to percentages, usually make much less.
One place we had was such...a low priced family place.
My servers were expected to treat every customer the same, even if they never tipped. WE made up the difference, if necessary as it should be ,IMO.
I have to admit it seldom was, except for new people, because if they were that bad, they got gone, quick.
And we gave bonuses for those that constantly went out of their way to keep busy during slow periods.
IMO tips should be done away with and only given when and if you personally feel you have been given extraordinary service.
The payscale should simply be set as with most other jobs.

I've known a couple of doormen, for example, that make twice what we do!
For what? Standing there, opening a door and maybe flagging down a taxi??

Or the one at the airport that grabs your bags and puts them 4 feet away on a cart?
Bellman, the same thing. No educational requirements or skills necessary but you can get $5 just for being able to get some luggage to the right room.

I hate what the concept of tipping has become.
But I do know, if I have to go back to work, it'll be as a waitress or bartender....even though at my present age, I wouldn't be half as good as I used to be...just because so many of you have been brainwashed into tipping a percentage , even if the service is mediocre or outright sucks!
BTW,I will refuse to tip at all when the person has been woefully inadequte. They should have a way of learning they should be in a different job.
Go ahead...jump on me, I can handle it...had a lot of practise taking crap from some customers

Old 11-09-2008, 08:14 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
If a server does a good job, keeps water filled, drinks refilled, is pleasant and wants to make sure you are satisfied, then 20% or even more is certainly reasonable, as long as the food is decent. But you'd be surprised how many servers don't understand that they have to earn the tip and make an effort.
Stiffing a server that does a good job because you don't have the money is just selfish and thoughtless. Order fast food if that's your attitude, you don't belong in a restaurant.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:41 AM

413 posts, read 1,165,395 times
The new general rule of thumb is you should tip on percentages, but to do so on the certain waiter, and your assessment of the place.

If its a high capacity, busy chain restaurant then you off course know that they're capable of making $15 bucks an hour.

If its a mom and pop restaurant, with patrons coming in every now and then, why not add alittle more.

With that being said though, If I went to a restaurant by myself and paid either $10,$25, or $100, you're most likely going to get $5 bucks at best.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:52 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,729,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Hungry-Obviously you and your friends don't have money to be going out in the first place.
Thanks for lumping me and the company I keep together as ONE! You truly are the one...something else.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:03 PM

I went out this weekend to get a drink and appetizer...funny how the waiter had no energy...no smile...talked in mono...came by once....I kept thinking about this post and I was telling my g/f about how people said she would be embarrassed...she laughed. We agreed the service was bad at the moment. I couldn't justify what some of you people has said. The guy didn't deserve much...he didn't even bring us our food and disappeared for a while...saw him behind a wall BSing with a co-worker of his.

Anyways...the bill was 35.15. I had two 20s, so that is what he got. Didn't wanna wait 20mins for him to get the card, then another 10 for him to return.
He got just under 14%...gotta problem? lol How is 4.85 not fair? I mean we sat in the bar.
BTW I've been getting positive reps for this post...thanks.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
I went out this weekend to get a drink and appetizer...funny how the waiter had no energy...no smile...talked in mono...came by once....I kept thinking about this post and I was telling my g/f about how people said she would be embarrassed...she laughed. We agreed the service was bad at the moment. I couldn't justify what some of you people has said. The guy didn't deserve much...he didn't even bring us our food and disappeared for a while...saw him behind a wall BSing with a co-worker of his.

Anyways...the bill was 35.15. I had two 20s, so that is what he got. Didn't wanna wait 20mins for him to get the card, then another 10 for him to return.
He got just under 14%...gotta problem? lol How is 4.85 not fair? I mean we sat in the bar.
BTW I've been getting positive reps for this post...thanks.

If I said I complained about my food every time so I get an extra meal for free, do I get positive reps for that? Or would I be considered cheap? I can get away with it, and it 'defies those crazy social norms', so it is OK to do, right hungry?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:19 PM

703 posts, read 2,943,562 times
All you people who are saying "Don't eat out if you don't tip 20%, etc." will probably get your wish soon as the economy keeps going down the toilet. Just go ahead and guess which industry will get crushed with this economic mess. . . it'll be the SERVICE industry. By then, when a whole slew of waiters, waitresses, bartenders, etc. are out of the job, the lucky ones still with jobs will be lamenting tips of any percentages. To me, this whole tipping as a percentage concept is eerily similar to a bubble that is about to deflate with the souring economy. In my mind, it's time to go back down to 10% for a service that isn't exactly rocket science.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If I said I complained about my food every time so I get an extra meal for free, do I get positive reps for that? Or would I be considered cheap? I can get away with it, and it 'defies those crazy social norms', so it is OK to do, right hungry?
Apples and Oranges....way off.
C'mon now. Simply put, more people agree with me than those who don't. We're seeing it more and more with each post.
If you complained about food to get an extra meal...that is not right IMO.
But me saying I tip under 15% is my choice and I feel it does not violate anything. Now mandatory tipping and federal taxing does.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:04 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,749,281 times
You know, before seeing this thread, I always thought 10% was the standard and usually gave around that and never got complaints and I never noticed bad service or boogers in my food...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment