Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:39 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,959,238 times

Advertisements

Decades ago I worked with a Scotchman who would leave a $1.00 tip on a $.10 cup of coffee because the waitress had a pleasent attitude and a NICE smile. He did this many times. So fast forward to today...some places will take your order...bring the food...never return to ask if everything is okay...no coffee refills unless I have to get her attention...brings the check...when paying with a credit card at the cashier she points to the slip where I am to put down my amount for a tip....Give me cotton pickin break...When at IHOP the cashier asks me if everything was okay...I respond with a NICE TIP. Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 02:37 PM

22,405 posts, read 29,534,074 times
Hungry for Cheese-are you kidding me? Are you being serious?? I'm a server and I have a mortgage, car payment and credit card bills just like you. What you don't think that people who wait tables have responsibilities or something? Do you think the same of the people who work at Walmart?? IF I didn't have any responsibilities, then why would I be working in the first place??? Do you think you are better than me because I am a server? Please don't make me laugh!

Bottom line, If you can't afford to eat out and tip correctly, then DON'T!!!! Don't waste my time or tables when it can be filled with people who are intelligent enough to realize that I am there because I have responsibilities and am doing what I need to do in order to fulfill them!!

Old 11-04-2008, 03:09 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,734,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
leaving $3 on a $33 bill is terrible. If thats all you can afford, don't eat out. Just because you have a job that makes less than $8/hr doesn't mean you should punish people who have jobs which make more. If you don't like your job, why not stop stiffing waiters and become one yourself?
haha I make more than $8/hr...
People have been eating out for decades...self-entitlement didn't kick in until recently though.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Hungry for Cheese-are you kidding me? Are you being serious?? I'm a server and I have a mortgage, car payment and credit card bills just like you. What you don't think that people who wait tables have responsibilities or something? Do you think the same of the people who work at Walmart?? IF I didn't have any responsibilities, then why would I be working in the first place??? Do you think you are better than me because I am a server? Please don't make me laugh!

Bottom line, If you can't afford to eat out and tip correctly, then DON'T!!!! Don't waste my time or tables when it can be filled with people who are intelligent enough to realize that I am there because I have responsibilities and am doing what I need to do in order to fulfill them!!
WOW, are you serious? Wait that's what you asked me. YES I am serious. First of all you don't need a mortgage, car or credit bills. Pay some rent and keep it simple. I don't really have credit bills. Of course people who wait tables have responsibilties. I just wouldn't get that job expecting big tips. People at Walmart have nothing to do with this. I don't tip at the drive-thru, 31 flavors or at a place like Hometown buffet or Souplantation. Yeah, you got me figured, I think I am better than you because I sit in an office all day making double than your minimum pay in an entry-level position.
You get tips and make just as much if not more than me...I make less annually(on books) but get full benefits and a 401k. You could too. If I want to go out to eat at Red Robin, order a burger and a coke with my girl, and it comes to $18.99....why would I give you 20%, or $3.79 so you can roll your self-entitlement eyes about why I just didn't leave $4.00?
IMO a job like this is for people who need to pay the bills...only make a career out of it if you love it. You get LOTS of perks I don't get. You get to meet all kinds of people, network and perhaps get deals through certain people, tips, daytime off, 2-3days off in a row if you're lucky enough...etc.
Personally, that isn't for me...so don't say "if you hate your job so much, why not stop being cheap and become a waiter?"
I got a friend who works for Dominos. He gets like $8.75/hr, plus $.75 each delivery or maybe more for gas as well. It's about $10-11/hr...PLUS tips. Sometimes he might get $40-60 per night for a 4-6 hr shift. Sometimes he gets $300 a night for a 10 hr shift. THATS $300 CASH!!! You people can make some nice money. Expect a $10 tip on a $40 meal, and $3 tip on a $30 meal. That is already $13...if you averaged $15/hr on tips alone you'd be doing alright. As far as helping pay the mortgage, well yeah the general idea is to work for money to pay your bills. But what I get from some people is,

"oh boo hoo I have a mortgage and car payment and insurance and credit card bills like you. I bought a plasma TV or some junk I didn't need, so now I need you to tip me 20% or more, otherwise you are a cheap bastard."

That's honestly what it sounds like.

- Mr. Pink(we share same views)

Sorry if it pisses you off, but I'm not tipping 15 or 20% because society deems it necessary.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,224,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
haha I make more than $8/hr...
People have been eating out for decades...self-entitlement didn't kick in until recently though.
Self entitlement? It is the way the system works! Stiffing a good server on a tip is the same as trying to barter the price of a pair of jeans down at a mall. It just doesn't make sense. I guess I assumed you didn't make that much since your attitude is fairly cheap...

You seem like a very selfish person. I am just glad I never had you as a customer when I was a waiter.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:54 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,760,931 times
For a long time and before I saw topics about tipping I always tipped only 10%, and I thought that was STD and ok. 20% sounds like major BS to me. But I still wonder why I tipped $1 on a $3 Waffle House chili, but I'd still give $1 on a $10 meal also.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:34 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,309,100 times
Quote:
<snip>
Even if they have 4 tables, at $2/table and their $8/hr(in cali)..they make more than I do. I've had some hard jobs and never got tips. Don't like it, don't be a waiter. I think waiting and serving is for people who like to mingle with people from every culture and background...not someone trying to pay the mortgage.
Maybe people are thinking you make less because of what you said here??

As far as mortgage or rent, they both still need to be paid. And in my case, my mortgage is a good $250 less than anything I can rent here so "you don't need a mortgage" is kinda silly. Besides, don't you think there are people out there who have a mortgage, had a CAREER, and have suffered from layoffs and the like and turned to waiting tables to pay their bills?

Finally, you say at one point that a job like this is for people who like to mingle, not those trying to pay a mortgage. Then recently you say:

Quote:
<snip>
IMO a job like this is for people who need to pay the bills...only make a career out of it if you love it. <snip>
So... huh?? Your posts are contradictory.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:26 PM

I mean, a job like this could be for people who have NO job, and need to take one to pay the bills. Being a lawyer certainly pays the bills, but I wouldn't want to be one. And, you should make a career out of it if you do love it...don't just take it to expect huge tips.
As far as the mortgage thing goes, well if it is cheaper because you locked in, than great. But I don't wanna hear people crying about weak tips because they can't pay the mortgage of $1500/mo because they only make $1200/mo and "live" off tips to make up the difference. IMO, should have gotten that apartment for $800/mo., or a better paying job.

Whatever the case may be...I don't see how ordering for myself and my girl (2 people)...like a $30 steak and some seafood...where the bill is $60...and getting me a refill means I have to tip $12 or else I am cheap. I'd tip $5 and the change...so if it were 60.57, I'd tip 5.43.
If I ordered 2 salads and it came to $30, I'd leave 3 and change...
So it's not a case of me leaving a dollar no matter what...I go 8-12%...it's what I feel comfortable with. I guess I should stay home and keep that $3.47 from being in your pocket though....because someone else could have sat there and tipped you an extra $1.53, or not.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:45 PM

858 posts, read 1,503,635 times
My fiancee is a server right now while going to school.. She makes almost $150 a night working at a nice restaurant here in South Lake Tahoe... That plus $8.50/HR adds up real quick. She clears about $3500 a month right now.

I usually tip around 20% no matter what restaurant. A lot has to do with how well the servers service was, as well.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,959,238 times
Understand that some places pool the tip money that is divyed at end of the shift. When extremely happy with the service of a waitress I would look for her on leaving and shake her hand (greasing the palm generously) to show my appreciation of the service. I understand the tip situation as I had met my late wife while she was a waitress/car hop in the early 50's while I was going to college. She always made very good tips compared to the other girls she worked with. A smile and pleasant attitude goes a long way. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment