Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 05:56 PM

10 posts, read 11,121 times

Advertisements

The accounting tasks at my workplace are very manual. We have an employee named “F” who has to manually enter data onto multiple Excel spreadsheets and then upload as a CSV file into the accounting software. Once the spreadsheets are uploaded, it must be moved to a separate folder to indicate it is done. Some of the accounts payable data is used to generate invoices to clients; it is the biller’s responsibility to keep track of what needs to be done. Employee “F” unfortunately often makes mistakes and often steps away from desk during the workday to handle personal errands. Employee “F” will actually email herself often on what was uploaded/completed and what’s not and then carbon copy the email for everyone to see. This is done to remind herself and to reduce errors being made on her part.

Employee “F” took unexpected time off for three days. I was the one who trained “F” before I was promoted, so I became the backup. I had to complete her job along with my already heavy workload. Employee “M” is a biller at my workplace. Employee “M” often has to step away during the workday due to personal matters (family related). “M” often has to catch up; she likes it when “F” carbon copies her email to everyone.

“M” is well aware how busy I am. During a zoom video call, “M” asked if I can email everyone a comprehensive list of all the spreadsheets that were uploaded while “F” was gone. I told her that I have not been able to keep track of the high volume of stuff coming our way as we begin to close the month. I do not have a list created. I told her if she is not sure what has been completed/uploaded, she can go to the company shared server, look for the “Uploaded folder” and look it up. “M” became upset with me and told me I was being very RUDE. “M” then lectured and told me that she deals with lots of meetings and calls on a daily basis. Never in her life would she allow herself to be so disrespectful and lose composure like I did. “M” told me that I made her blood boil.

I was being straight forward; I did not yell or patronize. I did not have time to create a list like “F” does and carbon copy everyone. I was frantically completing two jobs at once and moving the uploads to the other folder to indicate what was done.

“M” just like “F” is often distracted by personal matter/errands; it’s not a job duty to create a giant list for everyone.

I do not believe I was being rude. I believe “M” did not agree with what I said and telling me I was rude was the hot term of the day.

For those who are reading this.

What do you think? Was I being rude?

Or did “M” interpret wrongly a statement as being rude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 06:02 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
You were being matter of fact but not rude. Those 2 empty need to spend less time on personal items and do their jobs.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
Honestly you both sound a bit rude.

M seems like they blew it a bit out of proportion. Maybe because their family situation has left them with a short fuse, maybe because this isn't the first time you've communicated like this?

But they probably wouldn't have responded as such if you had offered a more tactful response--"let me see if F left a list like that for us" or "I'll see what I can pull together for you", Or even "how about if I copy you on all emails like F usually does". All more tactful without necessarily agreeing to more work on your plate, all show more of a team-player attitude.

Given that F is only gone for three days it seems like both sides are being a bit dramatic. It's hard to imagine M will really be clueless if they get a bit out of the loop for a few days. And it's hard to imagine that at least *starting* a list could really be so burdensome for you.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:30 PM

I've always been quick and concise with my words. This is the first time ever I've had someone accuse me of being "rude". So "M's" response really struck me by surprise.

Our company has grew quickly over the years, but our accounting/billing process is still very manual. "F" has a quirky personality and occasionally has personal errands she has to take care of which causes her to make mistakes. However given the high volume of manual work that has to be done, its expected mistakes will happen.

Again the billers in our department are responsible of keeping track of things to bill to client. There are several distinct folders in our server that clearly indicate was has been uploaded/not uploaded.

The whole list "F" creates is something she does to remind herself and to prevent mistakes on her part. "M" is constantly dealing with family related matters, so I can understand why she likes that list. The list however is not a actual job duty.

I was simply pointing out the fact that the folders can be looked up on the server. I did not curse, yell or say anything condescending. I suppose what I said was something "M" did not like or agree with.

I believe the perception of rudeness is probably determined by how a particular message is interpreted by the receiver. It tends to follow that when people disagree with a certain statement, they do tend to label the messenger as a whole number of things, including rude, bigot, racist, or whatever the hot term of the day.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:40 PM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffxdwu View Post
The accounting tasks at my workplace are very manual. We have an employee named “F” who has to manually enter data onto multiple Excel spreadsheets and then upload as a CSV file into the accounting software. Once the spreadsheets are uploaded, it must be moved to a separate folder to indicate it is done. Some of the accounts payable data is used to generate invoices to clients; it is the biller’s responsibility to keep track of what needs to be done. Employee “F” unfortunately often makes mistakes and often steps away from desk during the workday to handle personal errands. Employee “F” will actually email herself often on what was uploaded/completed and what’s not and then carbon copy the email for everyone to see. This is done to remind herself and to reduce errors being made on her part.

Employee “F” took unexpected time off for three days. I was the one who trained “F” before I was promoted, so I became the backup. I had to complete her job along with my already heavy workload. Employee “M” is a biller at my workplace. Employee “M” often has to step away during the workday due to personal matters (family related). “M” often has to catch up; she likes it when “F” carbon copies her email to everyone.

“M” is well aware how busy I am. During a zoom video call, “M” asked if I can email everyone a comprehensive list of all the spreadsheets that were uploaded while “F” was gone. I told her that I have not been able to keep track of the high volume of stuff coming our way as we begin to close the month. I do not have a list created. I told her if she is not sure what has been completed/uploaded, she can go to the company shared server, look for the “Uploaded folder” and look it up. “M” became upset with me and told me I was being very RUDE. “M” then lectured and told me that she deals with lots of meetings and calls on a daily basis. Never in her life would she allow herself to be so disrespectful and lose composure like I did. “M” told me that I made her blood boil.

I was being straight forward; I did not yell or patronize. I did not have time to create a list like “F” does and carbon copy everyone. I was frantically completing two jobs at once and moving the uploads to the other folder to indicate what was done.

“M” just like “F” is often distracted by personal matter/errands; it’s not a job duty to create a giant list for everyone.

I do not believe I was being rude. I believe “M” did not agree with what I said and telling me I was rude was the hot term of the day.

For those who are reading this.

What do you think? Was I being rude?

Or did “M” interpret wrongly a statement as being rude?
First off, the lines greyed out are really irrelevant to the key question. They actually detract from your position. I suspect the line that's highlighted may have been the issue, depending on the tone and manner in which it was delivered. Without hearing that, it's impossible to say but given the wording the possibility is there.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:57 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Does a list even need to be created? Can’t you just go into the relevant folder, sort by modified date, and then send a snip of the relevant folders in an email? It seems like that would take 2-3 minutes max and the OP could also provide the file name where the person can find the data. I do this a lot at my job. It is really not that hard or time consuming to do so.

It seems like employee appreciates this information as it lets her know what is done each day. Sometimes when a thing becomes a routine, people become accustomed to it. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. I also think that the extraneous stuff about people having things that pop up during the day is not relevant.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:04 PM

I did not say it in a sarcastic tone, or in any form that would be considered mocking or condescending.

I said it in a very boring/serious tone kind of like the actor Ben Stein in the film Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I overwhelmed with handling two jobs at once. Did not have time to go back and create a comprehensive list. I was being straight forward and blunt.

I believe "M" disagreed with my answer, and needed a word to label the statement I made that was unexpected. It could have been a whole number of things, including rude, bigot, racist, or whatever the hot term of the day. "Rude" was the word the day to use.

The fact that she then lectured me about how she would have never said what I said in the meetings and calls she deals with on a daily basis really seemed unnecessary.

So having a dissenting view/answer, subbing in for an employee and not able to do habits exactly as the other coworker does via email is considered rude???

Old 06-07-2022, 07:08 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffxdwu View Post
...I told her if she is not sure what has been completed/uploaded, she can go to the company shared server, look for the “Uploaded folder” and look it up...

It's a little cold to me. I would have worded it, "I'll try to see what I can do later, I'm just so swamped, but in the meantime, if you want to go ahead to the company shared server, look for the “Uploaded folder”, you'll see it."

You may even want to throw in after that, "at the rate of my workload, I'm sure you'll find it quicker than I will! "

But, if you don't care about appearing a little cold & just want to say it straight forward, say it exactly like you did, which you in fact did.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Does a list even need to be created? Can’t you just go into the relevant folder, sort by modified date, and then send a snip of the relevant folders in an email? It seems like that would take 2-3 minutes max and the OP could also provide the file name where the person can find the data. I do this a lot at my job. It is really not that hard or time consuming to do so.

It seems like employee appreciates this information as it lets her know what is done each day. Sometimes when a thing becomes a routine, people become accustomed to it. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. I also think that the extraneous stuff about people having things that pop up during the day is not relevant.
Again that is exactly what I did. I had already imported and created all the spreadsheets and made record of it in the folders which were uploaded and were not. And I did provide the file name to "M". I told her she can find it and look things up herself.

Again "M" is always busy/distracted with family related matters so I can understand why she likes it when "F" creates a list and emails everybody. I was juggling two jobs and a heavy volume of work, so I did not have time to create a giant list. I had already send quick/short email reminders to each biller when stuff was already done throughout the past 3 days

Old 06-07-2022, 07:13 PM

[quote=Forever Blue;63579755]It's a little cold to me.

Is being cold/straight forward considered rude as "M" claims it to be???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment