Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 05:29 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,247,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This isn't the 70's. Many parents get their kids summer jobs and internships at their place of employment. Lots of companies ask their employees if they have college kids who want to work there for the summer.
LOL! No, nepotism was never a part of my hiring history, nor does my current company seek out relatives of current employees. I had to apply and interview for every position, and we put our potential interns through a similar (~half day, multiple interviewers, etc.) hiring process.

My daughter is 15, so she is still too young for most companies. She did get a job at a boba tea place, but her hours were limited by the state both in terms of total hours and time of day. That company closed, and she got an offer at a similar small business, but that manager couldn't work with the limitations and asked her to touch base in the summer, where the hours are less restrictive. That said, there are still limits on hours, compounded by limitations on driving (and that's when she gets her license, which is still months away). Plus she has drivers ed band camp, and volunteering this summer; and no, I'm not cutting into my work hours to get her to and from a pointless $8/hr job mixing sugary drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 11:18 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,466,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
I'll say this as a parent of a teenager who has been looking for work: she often gets rejected as soon as they know she leaves for college in mid August.

I work for Petsmart. My store is in an affluent area with very low application volume, so I'm never fully staffed. I've hired two associates in the past month that will be going off to college in August and September. One is transferring to a location near her school and I hired the other as a "seasonal" associate.

If she applies to places that really need help, someone will hire her. My only regret is that both of the ones I hired are doing a great job and I really hate to see them go.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:22 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,643,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
LOL! No, nepotism was never a part of my hiring history, nor does my current company seek out relatives of current employees. I had to apply and interview for every position, and we put our potential interns through a similar (~half day, multiple interviewers, etc.) hiring process.

My daughter is 15, so she is still too young for most companies. She did get a job at a boba tea place, but her hours were limited by the state both in terms of total hours and time of day. That company closed, and she got an offer at a similar small business, but that manager couldn't work with the limitations and asked her to touch base in the summer, where the hours are less restrictive. That said, there are still limits on hours, compounded by limitations on driving (and that's when she gets her license, which is still months away). Plus she has drivers ed band camp, and volunteering this summer; and no, I'm not cutting into my work hours to get her to and from a pointless $8/hr job mixing sugary drinks.
Notice where I said COLLEGE STUDENTS? The college students don't have to be a relative. Many companies post to their employees that they're looking for interns. Nepotism is alive and well in corporate America. Kids have to start networking somewhere!

Old 06-07-2022, 09:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,333,263 times
My employer had as many as 100 paid high school interns in 2019, but that was reduced to a handful with Covid. This summer we are back to a more normal number, at about 80 planned. The applications are being reviewed, and when HR finishes we (managers) will be able to request people for specific project help. I worked with two of them in 2019 and it was kind of fun, they were eager to learn, and brought a real fresh perspective.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:06 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
I think high school kids need to work, learn something about the world. So if they work year round they won't need a "summer job"

Old 06-07-2022, 09:12 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I think high school kids need to work, learn something about the world. So if they work year round they won't need a "summer job"
When I was a teenager, my parents believed that my primary job was to be a student and graduate, go to college. Working (more than something like babysitting) might interfere with school.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:26 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,936,645 times
People are not being hired full time and this is the problem.
Full time employees get medical, part timers don't. thanks to obamacare.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:29 AM

17,361 posts, read 22,115,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When I was a teenager, my parents believed that my primary job was to be a student and graduate, go to college. Working (more than something like babysitting) might interfere with school.
so my one liner is "we aren't trading straight A's for $14 an hour!"

168 hours in the week, no reason a kid can't work 15-20 of those hours. It gives them people skills (learning how to deal with people both customers/co workers, possibly sales experience, seeing how a business works).

While I appreciate the "primary job is school" the reality is kids blow 20+ hours a week on video games or social media so I don't expect the school work to suffer but maybe just reallocate the SM/game time into something more productive.

Neighbors kid just finished college. Got an ok degree, never worked/never did internships. Graduated came home and sat on the couch for a year. Wanted to be a realtor, wasted more time getting a real estate license. 6 more months pass, phone isn't ringing. I got her a job paying 60K, full time/full benefits and it is work from home (main office is on the opposite coast). She loves it, really loves the money!

My pitch if I was her parents, you are taking 3-4 classes, you need to work 1-2 days a week. Have an interest in real estate? Great! Get the license while in college and after graduation hit the streets! Maybe intern in a local office, get some experience maybe even snag a lead or two.

Kids have more than enough time in the week to juggle a job, school and other activities. Its an exercise in time management!

Old 06-07-2022, 09:58 AM

7,381 posts, read 4,162,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I think high school kids need to work, learn something about the world.
My kids worked every summer during college. I insisted as "kids need to work, learn something about the world." At a minimum wage job, they learn punctuality, social skills from/with customers, managing supervisors. It's all good and important.

During the college calendar, my kids' job was school. With one exception - jobs that helped their resume & further career goals. One kid had an administrative position at a nonprofit with flex hours. My other kids was a translator. Their jobs covered their spending money by junior year.

Graduating college, with no summer jobs, internships, paid professional work is a serious problem.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:07 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,885,863 times
my parents believed that my primary job was to be a student and graduate

Sure - that works if your PARENTS' primary job is to pay all of your bills for you, because they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment