Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 01:37 PM

6,618 posts, read 5,027,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
YouTube, Fortnite Streamer, Vlogging etc.

They are all mini influencers now
I've heard of youtube but that's it. And one thing I can't stand is someone who does a video that takes 10 minutes when I can read the same info in 90 seconds. Guess that makes me old!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
I'll say this as a parent of a teenager who has been looking for work: she often gets rejected as soon as they know she leaves for college in mid August.
I used to get the summer jobs but I'd lose them come September when they got a taste of the part time hours I said I'd be able to do. They'd hire someone FT to replace me.

But back to my friend, he takes people who leave for college, he's just not getting a ton of applicants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 02:56 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,008,983 times
I'd say those who are motivated to work will find jobs.

I recalled in the mid-70s when I was in high school, I gave myself 2 weeks to find a summer job and I usually find them within that time period. It didn't matter what I do as long as they pay me the wage I had in mind. As such, some of my most interesting jobs were those summer jobs.

So I can't relate the adults worrying about what will the teenagers do. Find you own damn job, I'd say. Instead of trying to do everything for your kids, how about give them a bit of motivation of finding their own jobs?

Old 06-06-2022, 02:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,677,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
They're doing internships, volunteer work, and/or summer courses for their college applications and degree programs.
This. They need to do things that will help them with their college applications.

They don't make much working part time over summer. Positions like lifeguards can't be filled by anyone because it pays minimum wage, has part time hours, and requires a very expensive course for certification. In my state the course costs over $600 and the lifeguards rarely make that back.

Many high school students can't drive so their parents have to drive them. Their parents are working so they can't drive them around. Gas prices are like 5 bucks a gallon so you need to make far more than minimum wage for it to be worth it.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
I'll say this as a parent of a teenager who has been looking for work: she often gets rejected as soon as they know she leaves for college in mid August.
That's been common my whole life. I experienced that when I was college student decades ago. We have a local summer restaurant that opens and closes based on college students availability. They open in late spring for weekends only. Then for the summer 6 days a week. Close Labor Day Weekend for the year because they don't have enough employees left. Several ice cream shops have the same issue. Hours are dependent on the availability of the college kids.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I'd say those who are motivated to work will find jobs.

I recalled in the mid-70s when I was in high school, I gave myself 2 weeks to find a summer job and I usually find them within that time period. It didn't matter what I do as long as they pay me the wage I had in mind. As such, some of my most interesting jobs were those summer jobs.

So I can't relate the adults worrying about what will the teenagers do. Find you own damn job, I'd say. Instead of trying to do everything for your kids, how about give them a bit of motivation of finding their own jobs?
This isn't the 70's. Many parents get their kids summer jobs and internships at their place of employment. Lots of companies ask their employees if they have college kids who want to work there for the summer.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:11 PM

8,742 posts, read 13,008,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
This isn't the 70's. Many parents get their kids summer jobs and internships at their place of employment. Lots of companies ask their employees if they have college kids who want to work there for the summer.
This explains why we need a "safe space" to talk about our feelings.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
This explains why we need a "safe space" to talk about our feelings.
How does employers looking for college students as interns and summer employees relate to what you're talking about? I know several people who took those positions during college and were offered a job at the company upon graduation. It's a great way to gain valuable experience and possibly end up with a job offer. Networking is how one often finds a job.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:25 PM

984 posts, read 446,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I see! Re: the part I bolded above, you mean MOST fast food places/restaurants, retail jobs, movie theatres, which are the main places that hire teens/young people don't req vax? I'd certainly think they would, esp. working in the food industry & having to work w/ the public. I know these days warehouse jobs pretty much all require it.

Also, if those places aren't really hiring, why don't they take the hiring signs down then? Why would they want more & more people applying so they (the workplaces) be bombarded w/ applicants?
You might think they require vaccines, but they do not. LOL

I have no idea why they don't take the signs down. All I know is that if you go in and ask, they say "you can fill out an application online, but we're not really hiring right now." I assume they have to because the corporate offices say so.

Old 06-06-2022, 03:30 PM

700 posts, read 450,429 times
Quote:
I recalled in the mid-70s when I was in high school, jobs?
50 years ago we still had a B&W tv, too.

Old 06-06-2022, 05:00 PM

2,110 posts, read 1,717,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
Those signs posted are up permanently, but if you go in and inquire, the places aren't actually hiring. Or they have a rolling backlog of 100 applications to choose from if they need someone. The vast, vast majority of places that would hire teenagers do not require vaccinations. But they're mostly not hiring, either.

Since I'm fully employed I haven't been inquiring about a job at places with help wanted signs to find out that they aren't actually hiring. But, if they aren't, they should be as it is very apparent that they are understaffed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment