Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 04:45 AM

51 posts, read 57,347 times

Advertisements

Just looking around my area and it looks like most teenagers/young adults are out partying it up during the summer or are preparing to do that abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 06:04 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
All the teens I know are either working or volunteering. Maybe not full time, but at least part-time. All three of my sons worked every summer, they got their lifeguard training and put it to good use.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:26 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Younger teens went to the pool and sports camps as well as increased household/yard chores, older teens worked.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:13 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
My oldest two kids are graduated from college so summers for them are no different than any other time of year. They work and conduct their life as they see fit. Partying is part of it.

My youngest is a college student. During June he worked for a professor at his college. IDuring July/some of August he is working in Washington DC as an intern for our Senator. He will come home for a few weeks. I am sure he will do some partying.

I am not sure why it is a big deal if young adults do some partying? Surely they can do productive things and fit some fun in also.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:23 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
I have two who are not yet completely independent. The older of the two is working full time while on break from college, and the other is spending his time on a variety of activities: studying for a placement test in the hopes that he can move up to a higher level of math for his Junior year, working on his Eagle project, swimming competitively, practicing his driving in preparation for his driver's exam, and attending summer camp.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:39 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
It's been awhile since I had a teen.

We went camping, horseback riding, went to the beach, went fishing, hiking, canoeing, had picnics in the park. I often had several stray kids going with us and eating at my house. I'd drop a couple of them off at the river with their fishing poles, or I'd take them camping and they would carry the canoe to the smaller upper lake so they would have the middle of the lake fising all to themselves.

He had firearms practice and drove the tractor.

My son had a firewood business, so he cut and split, and delivered firewood.

He helped me pick and dry fruit.

I seem to remember he spent a lot of time eating.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:50 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,974 times
My 17-year-old is running a small ebay business, traveling, hanging out. In years past, he worked at a camp for a couple weeks each summer but he wasn't interested this year.

My 15-year-old is doing drama camps. One is over and the other just started. She's also doing a lot of reading, drawing, watching Netflix. And she is active in her youth group.

We aren't doing a real family vacation this summer because we will be going to London in the fall. My daughter and I will probably go away for a weekend in August while my son is away. Usually we do a bigger trip in August.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:40 AM

24 posts, read 23,095 times
My 15 yo is volunteering at a day camp and then practices soccer in the evenings a few days a week. And doing the online portion of his drivers ed so he can get his learners license in a few weeks.

My 13 yo is babysitting about 15 hours a week and hanging out with friends and helping to take care of our dog.

They both took a week vacation with their dad and will have a week at away camp also. We have no vacations planned as we are taking a big trip in December.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:34 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
My guess based on personal experience: Hanging out and smoking pot.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:09 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,418,578 times
My teen works 4 days a week, volunteers at the Humane Society, preparing college essays, recommendations, and touring colleges. We travel once a month for a week. hangs out with her friends and relaxes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting