Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 06:03 AM

23,901 posts, read 33,669,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And that's the difference. The OP is complaining that his employer won't provide paid leave for his period of quarantine and the OP doesn't want to use his own PTO.

What's confusing to people is that the OP's issue really has nothing to do with the federal FMLA with which most people are familiar, but rather is specific to a NY program that provides paid family leave under similar circumstances to the federal act.

So it's a NY state program that will pay the OP while they're out on a medical leave? I guess in order for this program to pay them, it all has to fall under the FMLA program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 06:32 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,709,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
So it's a NY state program that will pay the OP while they're out on a medical leave? I guess in order for this program to pay them, it all has to fall under the FMLA program?
Yes. That is my impression. I assume the OP has the opportunity for an appeal. The surgeon may need to be more specific that actual procedures are done during the quarantine, such as local pre-surgical exams, blood tests, etc. (That is, if those happen there. I do review medical records as part of my job, but we don’t typically get access to foreign medical records).

Old 06-04-2022, 07:03 AM

23,901 posts, read 33,669,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes. That is my impression. I assume the OP has the opportunity for an appeal. The surgeon may need to be more specific that actual procedures are done during the quarantine, such as local pre-surgical exams, blood tests, etc. (That is, if those happen there. I do review medical records as part of my job, but we don’t typically get access to foreign medical records).

I think the OP has to sit in their hotel room that whole time so that they don't expose themselves to anyone else. I guess they don't rely on COVID testing like every other place does.

I went to a hospital for a colonoscopy in August, I had to have a negative COVID test done Friday for the procedure Monday morning. Tests come back a lot sooner these days lol

Old 06-04-2022, 07:20 AM

51,021 posts, read 36,724,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The quarantine is required for anyone entering the country, it’s not specific to the procedure. I have co workers who go to the Philippines to visit family and they have to quarantine on arrival too. It’s common in Asian countries now due to COVID. He won’t be able to get any tests done during the quarantine period he will go right from airport to hotel and stay there for 2 weeks. No leaving the room period.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-04-2022 at 07:38 AM..

Old 06-04-2022, 08:49 AM

88 posts, read 89,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
And that's the difference. The OP is complaining that his employer won't provide paid leave for his period of quarantine and the OP doesn't want to use his own PTO.

What's confusing to people is that the OP's issue really has nothing to do with the federal FMLA with which most people are familiar, but rather is specific to a NY program that provides paid family leave under similar circumstances to the federal act.
No. I am not seeking to utilize New York's paid family leave program. I am seeking to utilize the federal FMLA and pay myself with the hours that have accrued in my family leave bank. Those are my hours that I earned over the years.

Without approval to go out on FMLA, I will have to use personal time off. It will end up costing me thousands of dollars more to do this. I should NOT have to do this.

Last edited by AirDroz; 06-04-2022 at 09:08 AM..

Old 06-04-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You owe them an apology because they were trying to explain to you why and why not with quarantine because they know the FMLA better than anyone else posting.

You're stressed out due to this, so you are reading it with that kind of tone in your head that you can not read it neutrally to see all they were doing was giving you advice.

Hopefully they will come back and try to help you out more so you can get this figured out.

Since there is no paycheck when you take FMLA, does it really matter if they cover that quarantine? It's just shown as time out verses FMLA approved time out of work.
They seem to know about FMLA but they are still going out of their way to interpret the situation in a way to justify denying the claim. "You're just going to be relaxing in a hotel".

Whether the quarantine is state mandated or medically mandated does not really matter. Either way, the quarantine is still inextricably linked to the surgery I need to get. It can easily be argued that it should therefore be covered, unless there is an expressly written FMLA policy stating that state mandated quarantine prior to surgery, in the context of international travel, isn't covered. Perhaps that poster can enlighten us with this policy. Or again, just provide examples of a precedent that has been set of cases where these claims are being routinely denied. I'm waiting.

Really, the way this claim should be handled is to approve it and allow the person to move on and focus on getting their surgery. It is no violation of FMLA, and no skin off the jackass examiners back to do so.

But then again if you just enjoy being a jackass then yeah, go ahead start looking for reasons and ways to make the persons life harder.

An analogous exampled would be if a police officer wants to pull you over, all he has to do is follow you around in his squad car for several miles. Eventually you will perform the most minor moving violation that would justify you being pulled over. It's technically fine for the officer to do that, but it does make him a complete jackass.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:08 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,272,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDroz View Post
No. I am not seeking to utilize New York's paid family leave program. I am seeking to utilize the federal FMLA and pay myself with the hours that have accrued in my family leave bank. I earned those hour

Without approval to go out on FMLA, I will have to use personal time off. It will end up costing me thousands of dollars more to do this. I should NOT have to do this.
Are the 2 weeks of isolation included in the medical certification letter that you are asked to provide to your employer? I believe that is the main document used to determine time off.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:11 AM

5,594 posts, read 2,324,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDroz View Post
No. I am not seeking to utilize New York's paid family leave program. I am seeking to utilize the federal FMLA and pay myself with the hours that have accrued in my family leave bank. Those are my hours that I earned over the years.

Follow the steps for appealing the claim decision. Give a few sentences why the claim should cover the 2 additional weeks.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:12 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,272,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If you apply the Lane court decision and/or the Tayag decision, you should be able to get the air travel time covered under FMLA. The required recovery time is covered. But, under both those same rulings, odds are the quarantine has nothing to do directly with your medical care so it would most likely be upheld as a denial for that period. If the medical facility was imposing a quarantine while you are being "evaluated and tested" in preparation for your procedure, that could get covered, but if it's an immigration entry requirement, it's not based on your medical condition or procedure.

See if the medical facility will allow you to be transported directly from your flight to the medical facility to serve the quarantine while they do some "medical" related things. That may be a way around this.
This is a good suggestion.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Are the 2 weeks of isolation included in the medical certification letter that you are asked to provide to your employer? I believe that is the main document used to determine time off.

The letter outright says that I will need to quarantine prior to surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment