Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 07:34 PM

13,175 posts, read 21,266,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDroz View Post
No. As per what I have already described, and per your own words above, the quarantine is specific and mandated as part of the treatment itinerary.
Is it the medical facility imposing the required quarantines? If it's a medical quarantine required specifically for your treatments monitored by your treating physician, that's different from a quarantine mandated for entry to the country regardless if medical or tourist or other. So you need to be specific as to who is mandating the quarantines and why.

Quote:
If dates of travel are to be accepted as part of the claim, then why is their approval start date on the date of my surgery? Why aren't they giving me a few more days of buffer?
Buffer? there's no such thing under FMLA. It's the dates of required medical care, nothing more, nothing less. The reason travel is generally accepted (although not actually written in the law) is because of availability. If a medical professional states your care is needed in Arizona, your direct travel to AZ to get care is covered. You don't get the days between travel and care, only the travel days. And the courts have stated that if during the travel you do anything personal as part of that travel, it voids the travel as covered.

Quote:
It is the asshat claims processing company, Matrix Absence Management, which is making this difficult and not providing an explanation for their decision.
Aahh so there's a compliance management component involved. It's highly likely that what you were initially given and submitted with your request was sent to the providers for compliance verification and what was sent back required the change in approval dates. If the providers never mentioned anything about travel, quarantine, pre treatment testing, etc., those dates are out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 08:19 PM

88 posts, read 90,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Is it the medical facility imposing the required quarantines? If it's a medical quarantine required specifically for your treatments monitored by your treating physician, that's different from a quarantine mandated for entry to the country regardless if medical or tourist or other. So you need to be specific as to who is mandating the quarantines and why.

Buffer? there's no such thing under FMLA. It's the dates of required medical care, nothing more, nothing less. The reason travel is generally accepted (although not actually written in the law) is because of availability. If a medical professional states your care is needed in Arizona, your direct travel to AZ to get care is covered. You don't get the days between travel and care, only the travel days. And the courts have stated that if during the travel you do anything personal as part of that travel, it voids the travel as covered.

Aahh so there's a compliance management component involved. It's highly likely that what you were initially given and submitted with your request was sent to the providers for compliance verification and what was sent back required the change in approval dates. If the providers never mentioned anything about travel, quarantine, pre treatment testing, etc., those dates are out the window.
-The government of the country is requiring quarantine and the hospital has integrated the quarantine requirement into the workup process prior to getting surgery. I'd be very suspicious of someone going into that much detail when deciding whether to approve the claim or not. You are splitting hairs and at that point just actively looking for a reason to make my life harder. It is completely ridiculous.

-Your point about the travel dates is fair. Thank you for clarifying how that works.

-Everything was fine until the asshat claims examiner saw the word "quarantine" on my medical certification form. The surgeon's office explained that there was a quarantine period REQUIRED prior to surgery. As soon as the asshat saw that word and realized that quarantine in and of itself isn't covered by FMLA, he went ahead and denied my entire workup period prior to surgery. He completely neglected the fact that it is a part of the process of getting the surgery. He is wrongfully applying the rule.

Mod cut. It would be no skin off your back to just approve the claim and let me go on with my life and focus on the major medical procedure I am about to go through. None at all, but you HAVE to find a reason to make it difficult for me and stress me out further at a critical time in my life. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-04-2022 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Personal attacks; name calling.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:35 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,119,163 times
Quote:
I am actually not aware of that being a thing. But this situation affecting me certainly makes me sympathize with those women.
Or women and men who have to use it all for their own illness (yes, I've known people who've lost jobs because they've had an illness or surgery that had them out of work longer than 12 weeks, or who had to go back to work sooner than they should've after injury or illness because they don't have any leave left and can't afford to not get paid), or to care for a family member. Certainly not exclusive to pregnancy. (Oh, and none of these people got special "family" leave-- it was sick leave, and vacation time, and that was that-- when that ran out, it was either get back to work or don't get paid.)

Quote:
[Snip.] It would be no skin off your back to just approve the claim and let me go on with my life and focus on the major medical procedure I am about to go through. None at all, but you HAVE to find a reason to make it difficult for me and stress me out further at a critical time in my life. [Snip.]
Well then. That's certainly going to make other people want to help you.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-04-2022 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-03-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Or women and men who have to use it all for their own illness (yes, I've known people who've lost jobs because they've had an illness or surgery that had them out of work longer than 12 weeks, or who had to go back to work sooner than they should've after injury or illness because they don't have any leave left and can't afford to not get paid), or to care for a family member. Certainly not exclusive to pregnancy. (Oh, and none of these people got special "family" leave-- it was sick leave, and vacation time, and that was that-- when that ran out, it was either get back to work or don't get paid.)

Well then. That's certainly going to make other people want to help you.
I sympathize with those individuals. Goes to show the importance of family. FMLA and governmental protections can only do so much. When all that runs out you need people there for you who are willing to help.

That poster isn't helping. I shouldn't of said that though. I'm sorry.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:48 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,119,163 times
Quote:
That poster isn't helping. I shouldn't of said that though. I'm sorry.
Actually, they were explaining to you what is going on with your situation and why things are happening the way they are, so... yes, they were helping.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Actually, they were explaining to you what is going on with your situation and why things are happening the way they are, so... yes, they were helping.
Maybe. I'm too upset right now to think straight.

Old 06-03-2022, 09:16 PM

16,645 posts, read 10,843,780 times
Quote:
I am not blaming my employer. My employer is actually so far supporting me and saying they believe I should be eligible for FMLA benefits the entire time I am out for the surgery. It is the asshat claims processing company, Matrix Absence Management, which is making this difficult and not providing an explanation for their decision.
I'm confused as to why there is an outside entity involved in this at all. When I used FMLA to adopt my two children, the whole process was entirely done in-house with my employer. I was entitled to use up to 12 weeks of leave per occurrence (in separate years), and that's what I did. It was unpaid, of course, which I knew going in. But I never had to deal with anyone other than my employer. Maybe it's different between adopting a child and having a medical procedure? I don't know.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:42 PM

4,050 posts, read 2,743,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm confused as to why there is an outside entity involved in this at all. When I used FMLA to adopt my two children, the whole process was entirely done in-house with my employer. I was entitled to use up to 12 weeks of leave per occurrence (in separate years), and that's what I did. It was unpaid, of course, which I knew going in. But I never had to deal with anyone other than my employer. Maybe it's different between adopting a child and having a medical procedure? I don't know.
A lot of companies use outside companies to handle all employment leave requests.

Old 06-04-2022, 12:35 AM

23,954 posts, read 33,920,613 times
Quote:
It is actually something along those lines. I will be having my sympathetic chain worked on. It is a fairly major procedure. There are 2 surgeons in the US who perform it, both have poor results. I had the procedure done by one of them 3 years ago and it was a failure. I am now having to have a redo attempt which makes me a high risk candidate.

The claim examiner initially approved the leave. At one point last week, he must have noticed the word "quarantine" in one of my claim forms and decided to be an asshat and pull the rug out from under me 2 week before I am scheduled to leave and reissued an approval letter that does not cover the full time I am out.

As another poster said, too much information was shared with him.

It's not something I'm familiar with. I have a google page up, I'll have to read about it. I'm surprised I've never heard of it with all of my spine issues.

I can't even imagine having any kind of spine surgery in another country because just sitting on the plane would kill me. I hope your surgery is a success.

Quote:
Maybe. I'm too upset right now to think straight.

You owe them an apology because they were trying to explain to you why and why not with quarantine because they know the FMLA better than anyone else posting.

You're stressed out due to this, so you are reading it with that kind of tone in your head that you can not read it neutrally to see all they were doing was giving you advice.

Hopefully they will come back and try to help you out more so you can get this figured out.

Since there is no paycheck when you take FMLA, does it really matter if they cover that quarantine? It's just shown as time out verses FMLA approved time out of work.

Old 06-04-2022, 04:49 AM

11,196 posts, read 16,126,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
And that's the difference. The OP is complaining that his employer won't provide paid leave for his period of quarantine and the OP doesn't want to use his own PTO.

What's confusing to people is that the OP's issue really has nothing to do with the federal FMLA with which most people are familiar, but rather is specific to a NY program that provides paid family leave under similar circumstances to the federal act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment