Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2022, 03:36 PM

700 posts, read 457,231 times

Advertisements

Unlike almost everyone else commenting here, I'll preface my opinion by stating that not all companies (certainly not mine) and/or industries and/or departments and/or individual employees function exactly the same, and no 1-size-fits-all rule applies no matter how many studies are cherry picked.

One benefit I get by being predominantly in office, by being deemed essential is: I'm in the office with other people from all departments who have also been deemed essential. Think about that. I have immediate access to the experts/leaders in other departments which has been like a master class. I've broadened my understanding of other departments' work and functions greatly, no awkward by-invite-only zoom meetings required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 02:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,319,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
Unlike almost everyone else commenting here, I'll preface my opinion by stating that not all companies (certainly not mine) and/or industries and/or departments and/or individual employees function exactly the same, and no 1-size-fits-all rule applies no matter how many studies are cherry picked.

One benefit I get by being predominantly in office, by being deemed essential is: I'm in the office with other people from all departments who have also been deemed essential. Think about that. I have immediate access to the experts/leaders in other departments which has been like a master class. I've broadened my understanding of other departments' work and functions greatly, no awkward by-invite-only zoom meetings required.
Agreed to all of this

Old 06-07-2022, 03:17 PM

47,142 posts, read 26,316,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
These people who are quitting instead of going back to the office, what are they going to do to earn a salary and pay their bills? I suspect that work-from-home jobs aren't going to be all that easy to come by, as some companies start calling their workers back to the office.
Those who can find a work-from-home position will do so. Back-to-the-office companies will be able to retain those who can't. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out which group is likely to be the most valuable.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:25 PM

35,363 posts, read 31,818,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Those who can find a work-from-home position will do so. Back-to-the-office companies will be able to retain those who can't. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out which group is likely to be the most valuable.
Marquee names like Tesla are hiring from the best of the best. People will go to the office to work for those marquee names.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Marquee names like Tesla are hiring from the best of the best. People will go to the office to work for those marquee names.
You attract the best of the best by offering an attractive workplace, right? There's a non-zero number of extremely qualified people who'd rather not go back to working in an office. Tesla just removed them from their applicant pool.

Can Tesla fill an office building with warm bodies dying to have Tesla on their CV? No doubt. If that's their goal, good luck to them.

Old 06-07-2022, 05:32 PM

5,629 posts, read 2,368,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Depends on where they are in their career and expertise. A lot of people already have a glowing resume and don't need Tesla on their resume. IMO, I don't think Tesla is that big of a deal on a resume anyway. I suppose it would be most important for EV design and engineering roles but not that big of a deal for IT.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:30 PM

35,363 posts, read 31,818,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You attract the best of the best by offering an attractive workplace, right? There's a non-zero number of extremely qualified people who'd rather not go back to working in an office. Tesla just removed them from their applicant pool.

Can Tesla fill an office building with warm bodies dying to have Tesla on their CV? No doubt. If that's their goal, good luck to them.
They can, at least for now. If the company's reputation tanks, probably not.

I'm a senior business analyst specializing in financial software systems, largely in healthcare and the investment banking industry, by virtue of my previous jobs, and what I get the most solicitations for.

By and large, there is zero need for me to be in the office on a regular basis. Yes, face time is important, but no more than one day a week, IMO. One day a month, leveraged well, could meet the need.

I'm constantly being solicited on LinkedIn. Sure, a lot of the jobs are junk, but there are also some good opportunities in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Depends on where they are in their career and expertise. A lot of people already have a glowing resume and don't need Tesla on their resume. IMO, I don't think Tesla is that big of a deal on a resume anyway. I suppose it would be most important for EV design and engineering roles but not that big of a deal for IT.
I guess it depends on what you are doing. If you are a programmer on some sort of embedded system that powers a successful feature, it's huge. If you're in a typical role, I'm sure it's just big company IT anywhere.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:35 AM

5,490 posts, read 4,522,207 times
I met somebody at a party where their company has been trying to severely limit WFH because their company leased their office space for another 4 years.. just right after lockdown orders were imposed due to COVID-19 Apple is in a similar boat because they also recently finished their "mothership".

Old 06-08-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I met somebody at a party where their company has been trying to severely limit WFH because their company leased their office space for another 4 years.. just right after lockdown orders were imposed due to COVID-19 Apple is in a similar boat because they also recently finished their "mothership".
A whole lot of the push for RTO is due to commercial real estate about to drop in value.

Old 06-08-2022, 11:28 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,801,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
I agree. I have a friend who has a great job that is totally WFH. I think his employer is having some issues now and he may look for something new. I can’t imagine him going for something that isn’t totally WFH. His job is one where I don’t see that he’d actually need to go in anywhere.

You have other major companies that offer transport to the office. I think Google has restarted the shuttle system. Tesla is also in a big metro area that doesn’t have good public transport, so the cost of having to drive into the office is going to add up over 5 days a week. I don’t think that Austin is known for insane commutes, but over five days a week, it will really add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment