Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2022, 06:42 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
I just accepted an offer for a second full time WFH job. I'm making 170K with both jobs. I could care less who wants to go in the office. lol I'm going to pad my bank account at home while you guys fight traffic and office politics.
I will happily enjoy my pre-covid lifestyle, including my short commute on back roads 5 days a week, with lots of opportunities to schmooze with the leaders. All while you decided you want to remain in covid-lockdown for the rest of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 07:47 PM

13,261 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I will happily enjoy my pre-covid lifestyle, including my short commute on back roads 5 days a week, with lots of opportunities to schmooze with the leaders. All while you decided you want to remain in covid-lockdown for the rest of your life.
Do you have family at home most that I know say they really like WFH because they can be with their family instead of being away 80% of their lives. Most of the folks I know who prefer to work at the office don't have a family, or their spouse also works at the office. I know someone who found another job because he hated working from home he lived alone in an apartment.

Old 06-20-2022, 08:29 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Work from home and lockdown are NOT the same thing. Some folks worked from home before the internet. Computers and the internet just made that more of an option for more people. COVID merely demonstrated the capability of WFH.

Even though there are technical aspects of my job that require me to be on site, I'd happily do the other aspects from home the rest of my career. I don't need the drama and personal problems of other people getting in the way of me getting my job done.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:44 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Thank you. It really depends on type of job you have. I'm a Treasury Analyst. You don't have to work full 8 hours. Especially if you have the technical tools. I actually had a second job late last year till May this year. I worked 40 hours. In the office I worked over 40 hours with one job.

I only quit that job because they were extremely disorganized and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. I made sure to ask the proper questions this time.
Thank you for proving how much more productive employees are in the office than at home. When you were in the office you worked 40 hours at one job, and at home you work so little for each employer that you're capable of carrying two jobs and still not working more than 40 hours.

We caught a guy doing this at our company; it was obvious because he kept missing deadlines. We fired him and also found out the other company fired him in the same week.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:49 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,116,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Thank you for proving how much more productive employees are in the office than at home. When you were in the office you worked 40 hours at one job, and at home you work so little for each employer that you're capable of carrying two jobs and still not working more than 40 hours.

We caught a guy doing this at our company; it was obvious because he kept missing deadlines. We fired him and also found out the other company fired him in the same week.
Not everyone is doing this. This guy represents what...like .02% of cases?

Old 06-21-2022, 02:50 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
When you were in the office you worked 40 hours at one job...
Warm body occupying a chair != work being done.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I put at least an extra hour in on the days that I WFH just because I'm already home anyway, so what difference does it make.

These people are just wrong, and that's a tough pill to swallow for them. Either that, or they are making some poor hiring decisions and won't take accountability for that either. I'd be more concerned that they think that the person mischievously working two jobs just started finding ways to exploit the company they work for. Like this all just started as a result of COVID lockdowns? Umm, I don't think so. They were finding other ways to exploit you, but you're just now noticing.

The way things are going, hybrid at the very least is staying. Fully remote across the board is going to take many more years, if not decades to become the norm IMO. Lots of old school holdouts out there managing things the way it's always been done, but they're slowly fading.

Last edited by modest; 06-21-2022 at 03:14 PM..

Old 06-21-2022, 03:05 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Some of us were working remotely long before Covid. We're not in lockdown. Many company leaders are also working remotely.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:13 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
However, warm body being in a chair means you are available to do work; if you are not getting work done, it's your manager's fault for not assigning you enough work. As soon as I step foot in that office, my time belongs to the company paying me for it, then when I step out it becomes mine again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest
Not everyone is doing this. This guy represents what...like .02% of cases?
I'm not saying that a lot of people do this, I'm saying that it's proof that people don't work as hard/well/efficiently from home as they do in the office. I see it all over the floor at our building as some people were remote and they are just unreachable when they are remote but are easily approached when in the office. These are the same exact people who tell us that they work better at home, even though their work product doesn't reflect it.

That's not totally fair- they do WAY more low value stuff when they work from home. But we can have a secretary do this stuff. It's the complicated stuff that requires meetings and planning and teamwork and that's the stuff they just fall flat on at home. Eventually the people who are in the office just pick up the slack.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying that a lot of people do this, I'm saying that it's proof that people don't work as hard/well/efficiently from home as they do in the office. I see it all over the floor at our building as some people were remote and they are just unreachable when they are remote but are easily approached when in the office. These are the same exact people who tell us that they work better at home, even though their work product doesn't reflect it.

That's not totally fair- they do WAY more low value stuff when they work from home. But we can have a secretary do this stuff. It's the complicated stuff that requires meetings and planning and teamwork and that's the stuff they just fall flat on at home. Eventually the people who are in the office just pick up the slack.
Do you realize the contradiction in the bolded statement?

"Not a lot of people do this..." however, "it's proof that no one works hard/well/efficiently at home". No one seems like a lot.

If those people aren't working effectively and meeting the needs of the business, then it's management's job to address those people specifically. My guess is that you have a few people specifically in mind that this pertains to. Yet, you're making it out to be a pervasive issue across the board.

Back to my earlier point, this seems to be a hiring issue and a talent mismanagement issue than anything else. You should have KPIs that you can specifically point to illustrating where these specific people are falling short. You should then give them an opportunity to improve on that. If they continue falling short of their KPIs, then it's time to consider PIPs, suspension of WFH privileges, and perhaps future termination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment