Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2022, 09:05 AM

5,593 posts, read 2,330,305 times

Advertisements

Tesla employees that want to say in cutting edge EV technology can move to Lucid Motors which is more cutting edge than Tesla. There are quite a few other big name auto companies that are focusing on growing EV. Tesla is going to drain some brains and those brains have some nice EV options to choose from if they want to stay in EV. The Tesla IT type folks can move to any company (not necessarily EV).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 09:44 AM

29,777 posts, read 34,531,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Unfortunately, most government agencies are rarely ever on the cutting edge of anything--unless it's R&D related. Additionally, these agencies are often used as political chips, meaning their funding is always in flux depending on who is in the office and trying to make a point.
And if they did try to innovate anything proactively, they'd get criticized for "wasting tax dollars" on XYZ instead of doing their jobs. They can't win.

Old 06-04-2022, 10:14 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,518,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
It maybe hard to believe this by the way I am positing about this, but I am actually Gen X also. Just at the tale end of it. My story is similar to yours. It's just my personality is logistician. Things have to be logical for me or it's hard for me to adapt. Which is why I've had so many jobs in corporate. It is extremely a hard to find an organizational culture that makes sense and is logical. It's only for control and ego trips that these tyrants want you to come in the office. Plain and simple.

I'm thankful and fortunate that I have a remote job and even had two at the same time at one point. Looking at people struggling to go to work with gas prices. From gas, clothes, car maintenance you can save up to 10K a year working from home. I'd be fool to go back to the office.

But let's talk about the mental piece for a minute. IMO this is priceless. If you are frustrated you can curse your co worker or boss out on mute. Trust me it's very therapeutic instead of holding it in if you are in the office all day. I ignore them on teams. You can't ignore in person. lol Not being stuck in traffic with a hole drivers. Another mental perk. The fact in my case that I am down with my work in three hours and have the rest of the day to myself is the maximum perk. All my errands are done while mostly everyone is at work in an office. Less people in the stores = less stress.
Oh, sorry, shouldn't have automatically assumed you might be younger by the post. There have actually been a lot of us Gen X and even Boomers posting over the last year who see the perks of WFH. Hindsight is 20/20 and many older workers can now appreciate the rat race they have been in.

I agree, the reduction in mental stress is priceless. Most can eat better too. Your time is shortened when commuting, so it's no wonder people resort to picking up fast food. (As far as I am concerned it wouldn't bother me if every one of those places closed permanently). I brown bag it at the office but rarely have time when rushed in the morning to prepare something like a healthy salad as I would at home.

Annoying, time-wasting coworkers - such a mental relief to be away from them. I know if I could WFH I would live longer. Funny story, one of my Boomer coworkers got the ultimate revenge on one. One lady was ALWAYS on personal calls. His complaining about her went nowhere. (I think the boss's BIL forced him to hire her) He was ready to retire anyway and had a disability. One day he looked over at me and said, "Is she calling her mother again?" He hobbled over on his cane, grabbed the phone and said, "Your phone call is OVER". Click. LOL The look on her face was priceless.

He left shortly after and when I complained about similar distractions, they just moved me to a different department. End result: They had to replace me with TWO people. Total waste of money, but in-office is always inefficient due to mismanagement. It goes without saying, none of this would be an issue if we were WFH.

Just because I am an analytical thinker too and am pretty much all business, i.e. "just want to do my job and go home", doesn't mean I am negative nor antisocial if anyone is wondering.

I have real friends outside of work, but because I stay out of the fray and mind my own business, co-workers seem to like me and even confide in me. Over 20+ years I have had two women tell me they are pregnant before anyone else knew as they know I wouldn't blab it all over the office. Same with male coworkers who confided about interpersonal issues with staff or even a personal medical issue.

I feel confident the problem is not "me" that I am disgruntled. It's the screwed up system I have been forced to navigate. Glad to see I am not alone on this thread.

Old 06-04-2022, 11:33 AM

683 posts, read 856,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Oh, sorry, shouldn't have automatically assumed you might be younger by the post. There have actually been a lot of us Gen X and even Boomers posting over the last year who see the perks of WFH. Hindsight is 20/20 and many older workers can now appreciate the rat race they have been in.

Annoying, time-wasting coworkers - such a mental relief to be away from them. I know if I could WFH I would live longer. Funny story, one of my Boomer coworkers got the ultimate revenge on one. One lady was ALWAYS on personal calls. His complaining about her went nowhere. (I think the boss's BIL forced him to hire her) He was ready to retire anyway and had a disability. One day he looked over at me and said, "Is she calling her mother again?" He hobbled over on his cane, grabbed the phone and said, "Your phone call is OVER". Click. LOL The look on her face was priceless.

He left shortly after and when I complained about similar distractions, they just moved me to a different department. End result: They had to replace me with TWO people. Total waste of money, but in-office is always inefficient due to mismanagement. It goes without saying, none of this would be an issue if we were WFH.

I feel confident the problem is not "me" that I am disgruntled. It's the screwed up system I have been forced to navigate. Glad to see I am not alone on this thread.
No worries. I can't agree more with the bold. WFH gets rid of all of those annoying distractions. I am far from being anti social. I just tend not to like most of my co workers. I'm in finance and before technology took off. You said good morning, I'm going to lunch, and Good night pretty much you had your nose in the computer crunching numbers. Now in the social media age everyone talks in the finance department.

This has been a huge help to my mental and physical health.

Old 06-04-2022, 11:56 AM

1,924 posts, read 1,300,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Being in research/science and having to work in a lab, working from home is not an option, at least for me.

But getting back to Elon and his demand for his employees to return to the work place, I would bet for every person who decides to resign from Tesla, there are probably 50+ people ready to take that spot and work in a Tesla office.

So, unless I totally wrong, I don't think Tesla will be having any trouble filling all those spots from people leaving!
Yesss! All of this

Old 06-04-2022, 12:02 PM

1,924 posts, read 1,300,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Not just around the nation, but Asian countries, where they can pay them less than half as much as they would pay an American for the same work... Be careful what you ask for... If it were me, I would be proving I need to be in an office for the company to be successful...
Yes!

Old 06-04-2022, 04:15 PM

5,042 posts, read 2,752,021 times
Everyone back to the office! Because we don't trust you to work from home! No more watching TV, taking naps, and playing video games on company time! We all know that the real work gets done in the office, under the watchful eyes of sour faced managers. "Working" from home? Come on get real!

Old 06-04-2022, 08:43 PM

12,897 posts, read 9,155,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Unfortunately, most government agencies are rarely ever on the cutting edge of anything--unless it's R&D related. Additionally, these agencies are often used as political chips, meaning their funding is always in flux depending on who is in the office and trying to make a point.
Yes. No business would last long when half the board was trying to undo everything the other half wanted to do and vice versa. Our agency from about 2010 to 2018 was pretty much in mothball mode. Now we're in full throttle mode where the throttle doesn't go fast enough and the question we get from above is "what were you doing those 8 years we told you to not do anything?"

Old 06-05-2022, 10:12 AM

666 posts, read 646,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Good for him. There are still plenty people who don't clutch their pearls at the thought of going to work.
And there are still those that have the sense and the forward thinking mindset to admit that productivity isn't tied to cramming into a crappy open floor plan office space full of gossipping and chit chatting. Usually tells you a lot real quick about the mindset of those clinging to the old suits in seats office model.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:21 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,128,791 times
IMO, a hybrid work schedule is here to stay. Tesla might be tricky since they have factories and will need boots on the ground for it. Although, i don't believe Elon's claim that he works 80 hours a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment