Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 08:46 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times

Advertisements

As exciting as it is to start a new job, I always hate putting in a two weeks notice. Most of the time, my boss is in complete shock and goes into a panic mode and tries to figure out a way to keep me. After he/she figures out that I really am leaving, it becomes very awkward. Some coworkers stop talking to me or just act really cold.

Only once did I have a boss who shook my hand and told me congrats and understood that the current position didn't have room for promotion.

One time I was on really good terms with my boss, so I let her know that I was in the job market. That's one mistake I won't make again because it took me over a month to find a job and that month was really awkward.

What are your experiences after putting in a two weeks notice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 08:59 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
I've never had an "awkward" two weeks. It can be a hard conversation when you know it may have an impact in the short run. But that's not your concern. And having been on the other side - you just do what your one manager did. Just shake their hand and congratulate them.

If there are concerns that needs to be discussed (they want you to stay on a bit longer, etc.) you just have that conversation.

And trust me, it's not as awkward/uncomfortable as having to terminate someone's employment....

Old 04-25-2022, 09:27 AM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Usually, it is “business as usual.” I have found that the last two weeks are busier than usual, as management is scrambling to arrange meetings to do a transition of my projects & accounts over to the designated person who will fill my role. These meetings sometimes occur with little notice.

Then, there are meetings with HR, etc.

Old 04-25-2022, 09:32 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Two weeks........................I've never given anything less than a one month notice and I usually end up giving 4-6 months notice on average (I'm in scientific research).

Then during my last week, I always get a big farewell party and my supervisor Velcroed to my leg begging me to reconsider and stay!

Old 04-25-2022, 10:20 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Last time I did that I cleaned out 90% my office the morning I gave it, before most arrived. Who cares. No shocker there to anyone. I stuck around and interacted with very few other than to transfer certain projects, functions, and client relationships. Years ago and come to think of it I think the manager and I decided one week was sufficient, but I'd be paid for the second plus the severance package I accepted. Big tech, it was an interesting situation in broad strokes. Whenever my last day was, swept what was left into a couple boxes and walked out. Heck with 'em.

No awkwardness there. Dunno what this even means, but that's me. Back in consultancy past c. 10 years and I walk off when done and all milestones are hit. I do workbacks to end dates. Professional services is a gig economy for those in the know and it's quite lucrative if actively managed.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:34 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Tasks have to be reassigned, etc., but we just carry on with business as usual. We don't make counter officers or beg people to stay. Wish them well and send them out the door with a piece of cake.

Old 04-25-2022, 10:55 AM

11,100 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Awkward or wonderful?! Any time I've given a two-weeks notice is because I need to move on to something better.

Awkward would be staying at a company that is inferior to another one. Not moving on.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:21 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Being walked out the door after putting that notice in.

Old 04-25-2022, 12:42 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Being walked out the door after putting that notice in.
I've heard of this happening, but it has never happened to me personally. I guess it can happen if you work in an industry where working for a competitor is a problem.

Old 04-25-2022, 01:36 PM

988 posts, read 1,017,823 times
As the employee, I actually love that two week period, which for me in leaving past jobs has ended up being two to three weeks. First, I'm excited to be going to a new opportunity. Second, there is virtually zero stress at the current job because your projects are being reassigned and you're really just helping others to take over your work. I was always helpful and professional in those circumstances, and enjoyed having the time to say my goodbyes, reflect on good and bad experiences, etc.

Now what I did find to be TERRIBLY awkward was the time that I was advised that my position was being terminated for financial reasons, and that I had x number of months to find a new position while still working there. I remember feeling like a dead man walking, and while those I worked closely with knew what had happened, I had a lot of awkward interactions with others who maybe knew what was happening but never had reason to discuss with me. In retrospect I wished that I had been laid off with x months of severance instead of continuing to have to come to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment