Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 01:46 PM

6,495 posts, read 7,874,911 times

Advertisements

Never has been awkward like that at all. I have never had people act cold to me and now that I am management, I have never made it awkward for my staff. I am happy for them and congratulate them.

Now that I have a bit of professional seasoning, almost nothing surprises me.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 02:02 PM

6,621 posts, read 11,391,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I've heard of this happening, but it has never happened to me personally. I guess it can happen if you work in an industry where working for a competitor is a problem.
Anecdotally - Mostly sales roles where you are likely to take your competitor with you (or they may elect to go with you). I had friends that worked for financial investment firms... that that was the norm.

Same for some IT roles due to the nature of the job. As soon as you give notice, all of your privileges are removed, etc. Not only that, there is also the risk that people may not know you are a short-timer and give you access when they no longer should. Hence, you're walked out the door (but more often than not, you're still paid for two weeks).

Old 04-25-2022, 02:08 PM

4,050 posts, read 1,929,634 times
yeah, just hired a guy here - who put his two weeks in there - and they walked him to the door. bad for him, really, as his relevant team is out of town - can't start him here early - so that sucks for him.

If he had a sensitive / secure / competitive position - I get it - but this is not that.

Meantime - yep - I've usually got all my stuff out - ducks in a row - FIRST - then put my notice in - but having said that, worked all two weeks, each time, nothing but good luck and come back and visit, etc. Best not to burn bridges when possible, ya never know ...

Most panic by any boss is related to meeting some deadline. It is - my experience on both sides of this - nearly never about you, personally.

Old 04-25-2022, 02:19 PM

45,902 posts, read 61,371,147 times
The last time was when I turned in my Intention to Retire letter. No problems. Then I heard through the grapevine that my Principal told anyone who would listen how I had betrayed him, the students and the school.

Now, I had been on sick leave for almost the entire previous school year so it shouldn't have been a surprise.

Old 04-25-2022, 02:20 PM

880 posts, read 577,303 times
Quote:
As exciting as it is to start a new job, I always hate putting in a two weeks notice. Most of the time, my boss is in complete shock and goes into a panic mode and tries to figure out a way to keep me. After he/she figures out that I really am leaving, it becomes very awkward. Some coworkers stop talking to me or just act really cold.

Only once did I have a boss who shook my hand and told me congrats and understood that the current position didn't have room for promotion.

One time I was on really good terms with my boss, so I let her know that I was in the job market. That's one mistake I won't make again because it took me over a month to find a job and that month was really awkward.

What are your experiences after putting in a two weeks notice?

It doesn't have to be awkward.

1 - Offer to help train someone and be willing to answer calls if people have questions.
2 - If appropriate, tell them you're willing to stay on (contracting after hours) to help finish a project.

But bottom line, just be honest, be gracious, and tell them thank you for the opportunity. No one should ever criticize you for wanting to better yourself. Be constructive in your feedback, not abusive.

Old 04-25-2022, 02:26 PM

1,098 posts, read 596,629 times
I've only had to give notice once in my life, and it went immensely better than expected. I was working at a highly dysfunctional company and had an insane amount of responsibilities that were unique to me and figured my leaving would cause mass hysteria and panic. Instead, most people seemed unsurprised by my decision and incredibly supportive. The funniest part, to me, was that my last two days ended up being regular workdays because the person who would be covering for me short-term was on vacation, so I just did what I always did and then said farewell when the last day was over.

I did end up helping them with a few things remotely after I left, but that was nothing compared to the anguish of being there every day.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:02 PM

9,673 posts, read 5,456,750 times
Quote:
As exciting as it is to start a new job, I always hate putting in a two weeks notice. Most of the time, my boss is in complete shock and goes into a panic mode and tries to figure out a way to keep me. After he/she figures out that I really am leaving, it becomes very awkward. Some coworkers stop talking to me or just act really cold.

Only once did I have a boss who shook my hand and told me congrats and understood that the current position didn't have room for promotion.

One time I was on really good terms with my boss, so I let her know that I was in the job market. That's one mistake I won't make again because it took me over a month to find a job and that month was really awkward.

What are your experiences after putting in a two weeks notice?

What kind of place do you work in? Jeez, it sounds pretty immature and unprofessional. People come and go from jobs all the time.
But here's the thing, it sounds like you just told them you were going to leave and then started looking for another position.
If I intend on leaving a place of employment, 'the boss' usually knows, because I tell them (and I am expecting a reference LOL). But I wait until I'm actually applying somewhere. Nothing awkward. I still give 100% until I leave.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:34 PM

45,902 posts, read 61,371,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
What kind of place do you work in? Jeez, it sounds pretty immature and unprofessional. People come and go from jobs all the time.
But here's the thing, it sounds like you just told them you were going to leave and then started looking for another position.
If I intend on leaving a place of employment, 'the boss' usually knows, because I tell them (and I am expecting a reference LOL). But I wait until I'm actually applying somewhere. Nothing awkward. I still give 100% until I leave.
There are companies, and bosses, who take anybody leaving as a personal insult.

Early in my work life, prior to becoming a teacher, I worked for a multi-national manufacturer that had, at that time, dozens of factories across the world.

I left to take another job, I had been in low level plant management (what's now called Supply Chain Logistics I guess) but wanted to expand my experience. I went to another employer and then to USN OCS and Flight School.

When I got out of that I decided to go back to my original employer. Keep in mind that I had been in management and my follow on experience increased that knowledge/experience base.

Well, I couldn't go back to management, I had to go back to the factory floor putting bottles in boxes. As was explained to me it was "penance" for originally leaving.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:32 PM

1,940 posts, read 907,904 times
most people take vacation, oh by the way, I quit

i told boss, if he finds a steamy pile on his desk, Im not coming back from lunch

Old 04-25-2022, 07:02 PM

5,665 posts, read 6,280,666 times
I also have never found working through my notice awkward, whether it be two weeks or a month. A couple of times I have agreed to stay a little longer as an accommodation . I remain professional and 99% of the time so does everyone else. It's the opportunity to leave a good impression about how you handle yourself. My work ethic requires me to work hard during that period and do the very best I can do to leave things in a way that others can step in as seamlessly as possible.Because I'm always leaving for a good reason, I usually feel like a weight has been lifted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment