Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 05:00 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
As exciting as it is to start a new job, I always hate putting in a two weeks notice. Most of the time, my boss is in complete shock and goes into a panic mode and tries to figure out a way to keep me. After he/she figures out that I really am leaving, it becomes very awkward. Some coworkers stop talking to me or just act really cold.

Only once did I have a boss who shook my hand and told me congrats and understood that the current position didn't have room for promotion.
I'm still trying to figure out if this is what they call a "humble-brag."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 11:14 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
I thought most people dreamed about the moment they can give 2 weeks and leave a job.

Any awkwardness when I've done it is on the social side, ex. Are we work friends or something more?

Then I give my best for those 2 weeks sharing knowledge and helping them prepare for my loss. But I stop short of giving more than 2 weeks, 4 weeks is too much to be in that mode.

Old 04-30-2022, 07:41 PM

1,864 posts, read 841,146 times
i look at it like this, if they fire you, you not getting two weeks, so why give notice, it not like they going give you a job in a years time, hand in your keys, Im gone

Old 04-30-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i look at it like this, if they fire you, you not getting two weeks, so why give notice, it not like they going give you a job in a years time, hand in your keys, Im gone
Two weeks' notice is common courtesy and standard operating procedure.

Not doing so could affect future references.

But it sounds like the OP has no problem landing new jobs!

If you're fired, it's for cause, so the niceties don't apply.

Old 05-01-2022, 01:07 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,306,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Two weeks' notice is common courtesy and standard operating procedure.

Not doing so could affect future references.

But it sounds like the OP has no problem landing new jobs!

If you're fired, it's for cause, so the niceties don't apply.
Layoffs often result in no notice to the employee. Usually those that are let go via a layoff are cut immediately. Hand in your laptop within minutes being told about the layoff.

Old 05-01-2022, 02:05 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
You give notice as a professional courtesy. You never know if you may come back and work for the same company down the road. There are certainly exceptions to everything. And there are situations where you probably should just walk out and not look back. But again, that's likely an extreme case.

I think it's pretty obvious why it doesn't work the other way around. But in many cases, you're still getting two weeks pay anyways. Again, there are also exceptions there. If you do something egregious enough, you're likely not getting anything but walked out.

At the end of the day - whether or not you give notice is up to you. But you also get to deal with the consequences. As mentioned earlier, unless there's harassment or dire circumstances involved, it seems pretty low cost/effort to give the two weeks. Get paid for essentially not doing anything. Perhaps even get treated to a few lunches if you are leaving on really good terms...

Old 05-01-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
Layoffs often result in no notice to the employee. Usually those that are let go via a layoff are cut immediately. Hand in your laptop within minutes being told about the layoff.
Well, if you work in an industry that routinely lays people off with no notice, then maybe you're not expected to give notice, either. I wouldn't know... It's still good form to do so.

Old 05-01-2022, 09:58 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

What are your experiences after putting in a two weeks notice?
Well, put in a four week quit, they cut me out of the drawings, so left the third week. I gave him a nice revenge twist via postcard. Learned never to give them more.

Last three jobs, I actually was laid off from two of them. The second one I really should have threatened legal action as I was on medical leave.....the last one was a quit, but no notice actually.

Old 05-02-2022, 03:20 PM

1,846 posts, read 832,254 times
Only had one awkward time years ago. Had been planning on leaving at the end of May for none work related reasons for over a month. Was just me and my awesome manager at the time, but on the second week of May a new employ was added (had no previous experience). Told my manager later that day that I could help train but I'll be leaving at the end of May to which she replied " Meant to tell you earlier but I'm going to be on vacation for two weeks" She was going to be gone the last week of May and first week of June. I agreed to stay for the first week of June just so the new guy wouldn't be alone but that whole week with the three of use was very awkward. Was even worse when I told the new guy what was going to happen.
I've felt a bit bad a few times but never awkward or weird about quitting (other then this one time).

Old 05-03-2022, 06:59 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,698 times
I put in my 2 weeks notice the day after my manager. I was going to do it the day he did, but his was unexpected and it threw me off. Most people in the office knew I had a job offer and was leaving, so it was pretty funny.

Except for the part where I was first in line for his job. I decided to hell with it and left anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment