Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 08:21 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
I was hired a remote employee and have been well over quota the last 2 years. We were previously informed we'd be able to stay remote, but now we're being told by mid July we'll be expected to be in the office twice a week, which to me means they're working on getting us back in full time. I did the math, and for me before gas was $5 a gal the savings were over $15,000 a year working from home. So though I'm not quitting I am looking for a new job and if it really came down to it, I would probably threaten to leave even without something lined up if they told me to be in 5 days a week without giving me a good reason as to why.
Just as a general bit of advice, be careful about making threats unless you are willing to live with the consequences. I know a lot of managers would greet your threat with a handshake and "Congratulations on the new job. When do you leave? I need to start hiring your replacement." Because they know if they give in once, won't be long until you are threatening to leave unless you got something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 08:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,571 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Here is a local example, people are forced to quit, due to the price of gas, and not being paid enough to live near the office.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/23/t...rs-office.html

Old 05-24-2022, 09:07 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Just as a general bit of advice, be careful about making threats unless you are willing to live with the consequences. I know a lot of managers would greet your threat with a handshake and "Congratulations on the new job. When do you leave? I need to start hiring your replacement." Because they know if they give in once, won't be long until you are threatening to leave unless you got something else.
Yep. Unless one is a superstar rainmaker the reaction of the vast majority of bosses would be, "Good luck at your new job".

It happens at all levels. Secretary of State Alexander Haig threaten to resign one time too many and President Reagan accepted it.

Old 05-24-2022, 12:32 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,902 times
When I read stories like this usually it is about people with in-demand high paying jobs, usually tech workers. So I have to imagine if you are in a position where you have a highly valued skill and years of exp. then threating or actually quitting won't really be a big deal because you will be able to find another job quite easily. In contrast if the dude working an initial remote data entry job threatens to quit because the company now wants the data entry to be done in person, the company will probably just let the person quit without a 2nd thought.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:51 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Threatening to quit is silly. You ask for what you want, you communicate that it's rather important. If that doesn't work, you start looking, and if something better shows up, quit. And if you don't have open communications channels to express wishes like that, you should have started looking earlier.

Old 05-24-2022, 03:54 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Any employer offering such is admitting that in person "corroboration" is just nonsense. BTW the employer can save money too from this by reducing their office footprint.
The sound you hear is one million property managers sobbing in their latte. If the company owns the office buildings, they either prop up the importance of having people in the office - or they will have to admit they're stuck with a rapidly depreciating asset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment