Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2022, 02:49 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
He could be trying to save the commercial real estate market? All those empty office blocks are going to cost someone.
It doesn't make any sense to "save" an arrangement that is inherently inefficient in multiple ways. People who truly care about the health of planet earth will promote arrangements that significantly reduce the overall need for commuting. Some jobs will always require commuting so it makes sense to take non-essential commutes off the road so the essential commuters are not sitting in stop and go traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 01:21 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
It doesn't make any sense to "save" an arrangement that is inherently inefficient in multiple ways. People who truly care about the health of planet earth will promote arrangements that significantly reduce the overall need for commuting. Some jobs will always require commuting so it makes sense to take non-essential commutes off the road so the essential commuters are not sitting in stop and go traffic.
That won't fix the problem long-term. It'll just move the traffic snarls from the city into the suburbs, as people move further out in response to their hybrid schedule.

To truly fix this requires better urban planning, which our politicians seem terrible at.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:46 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quitting due to moving back to office WILL be extinct within a year.

Right now we got an avalanche of layoffs coming due to the recession. Carvana just laid off 2500 people.

Every time employees and candidates start having power in the job market, we get a recession which flips the script.

Every. Single. Time.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:51 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
That won't fix the problem long-term. It'll just move the traffic snarls from the city into the suburbs, as people move further out in response to their hybrid schedule.

To truly fix this requires better urban planning, which our politicians seem terrible at.
There are so, so many office jobs out there that require minimal onsite work.

I went in on Thursday to look at something. It was much easier to do it both with the customer and a colleague there looking at the same screen. You could do it over a Zoom, but it was much more efficient in person.

But it's rare that I need to do that. As a business analyst, I don't think we need more than, at most, one day a week in the office, just to get the face time. There are certain meeting and occasions it's helpful to be onsite, but it's certainly not needed on a daily basis.

Old 05-16-2022, 08:10 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Are you afraid non employees will come in to work for free?

I am still asking what the need to "authenticate individuals in the building". Who is going to want to be in your building who does not belong there.

Back in the 1980s when there was no security, I don't remember having an urge to go wandering into random buildings for no purpose at all. I am not understanding the point why swiping and ID badges are necessary. Why weren't they necessary in 1965?
Security issues of all types--company data, and personal safety. Stalkers happen, angry ex-employees happen....so yes, they want to make sure the only people in the building are supposed to be there.

It's nice that this didn't happen in 1965, but this isn't 1965.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:30 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Uh, no insult intended. But do you watch the the news?

You really can't think of any reason to know who is in the building?

Old 05-17-2022, 09:26 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Uh, no insult intended. But do you watch the the news?

You really can't think of any reason to know who is in the building?
Entry badges are less about "knowing who is in the building" (as in tracking employees) and more about keeping others, those who have no business there, OUT of the building.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:48 AM

402 posts, read 369,842 times
Two neighbors of mine recently resigned from their employers (2 yrs and 4 yrs respectively) because they did not want to return to the office.

Old 05-17-2022, 02:46 PM

163 posts, read 428,084 times
For white collars jobs that can be performed remotely, is there any reason to return to office beyond old school tech illiterate managers complaining about entitlement?

The country has changed. The world has changed. The economy and society. When housing, car/transportation/gas, daycare for children costs have become expensive. Unnecessary Commutes eat up an additional 2 hours per work day leaving less time to spend with loved ones. Not to mention the risk of future Covid variants that may be worse than omicron.

I have quit jobs where I was highly regarded over teleworking disputes before Covid. And I will do so again and again and again should the situation arise once more.

Employers - If you want workers back in the office, there better be a damn good reason beyond “entitlement” and “collaboration”. You’re asking employees to eat significant time and costs to cater to your whims. And if outsourcing is your solution, the USD will not be strong nor stable forever so expect to pay more for overseas labors anyway. That’s not even touching the subject of pitchforks…

Old 05-17-2022, 05:34 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
My company is *still* discussing a hybrid model (it's a case of half the higher ups are still fighting it, the other half are pointing out that people are literally quitting over the issue).

I was discussing this with some friends, and several of them are either full time remote or have hybrid options. Some of the models are:

1.) Friend 1--works full time remote, but has to live within an hour's drive of one of her company's offices. It doesn't matter which one, however. So if she wants to move to Texas, she can, as long as she's within an hour of the Dallas office. Or she can move to Florida, as long as she's within an hour of the Miami office. Her company has offices scattered throughout about a dozen states, so she'd have quite a bit of option if she wanted to move.

2.) Friend 2--her company offered everybody the choice of WFH full time, a hybrid model, or go back to the office full time. Whichever you pick is what you get. Apparently, it was near an even three-way split between the three when all was said and done.

3.) Friend 3--once you hit a certain number of years with the company, you can WFH full time. (And it's not many years, to be honest.)

4.) Friend 4--works for a company that's exploring options, and apparently is considering a 'starts off hybrid/goes to full time' over the years, sort of like earning vacation days over the years. When first hired, you'd get 1 day a week to WFH. After three years, you get 2 days a week. Then it would jump up again at five, ten, and fifteen years (at which point, you'd be WFH full time). I guess they're figuring if you've been there fifteen years, you could be trusted. ::eyeroll::

5.) Friend 5--goes in 1 day a week. She said she actually likes it--she gets to 'catch up' in person, then can go back home.

For fun, I applied number 4 to my department. We'd have three people who'd be WFH full time, one who'd be WFH four days a week, four who'd ben WFH three days a week, and one who'd only get one WFH day a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment