Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2022, 08:24 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

Serious question.

If so, doesn't it mean that employers have a "loophole" to get rid of someone without them collecting unemployment - just demand them to return to the office in full, 9-5, and let them quit and be denied unemployment?

Or are people actually getting other jobs lined up *just in case* the employer schedules an office return date?

Something about what is being said in the media seems really weird. What is really going on? Are employees willing to effectively cede their right to ever claim unemployment.....all because they don't want to go back to the office?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-09-2022 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: Merged 2 threads on same topic.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 09:12 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
A part of me says they're over entitled. Another part says that there is a trend for more remote jobs.

So I would say: If someone gets the "call back to work" - do a stealth job search and see if there's a remote position they can get a job offer for.

Yes? Then they can quit and take that job.

No? Get back to that office.

The job market has a nasty tendency of obliterating entitlement mentalities.

Old 04-02-2022, 09:25 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Serious question.

If so, doesn't it mean that employers have a "loophole" to get rid of someone without them collecting unemployment - just demand them to return to the office in full, 9-5, and let them quit and be denied unemployment?

Or are people actually getting other jobs lined up *just in case* the employer schedules an office return date?

Something about what is being said in the media seems really weird. What is really going on? Are employees willing to effectively cede their right to ever claim unemployment.....all because they don't want to go back to the office?

My company had 20% of the workforce quit when they got called back into the office. A lot of them went to other companies that were offering work from home. I myself overheard a few people talking about how they were leaving by X date because they'd been looking for permanent work-from-home jobs and found one. Supposedly, this got so bad the the board of directors told the CEO to work on a hybrid solution. However, I'm very skeptical this will ever come to fruition.

Old 04-02-2022, 09:27 PM

4,032 posts, read 2,717,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

At the moment, it's a worker's market, so this method of thinking might not be the way to go for employers.

Old 04-03-2022, 12:58 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
At the moment, it's a worker's market, so this method of thinking might not be the way to go for employers.
If someone gets ahead of themselves, yes, the job market does obliterate entitlement mentality.

"I got my first job ten minutes ago! I'm going to quit and get a better job with a 20k bump" --- uh no. Not happening kiddo.

And before the usual suspects complain: YES, I'm using hyperbole here.

In addition, the job market rarely stays "worker's market" for long.

I still remember how nasty the dot com crash was.

Top talent turned into zeroes overnight.

Over the long run, the job market obliterates entitlement mentality.

Old 04-03-2022, 01:12 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Quote:
If someone gets ahead of themselves, yes, the job market does obliterate entitlement mentality.
"I got my first job ten minutes ago! I'm going to quit and get a better job with a 20k bump" --- uh no. Not happening kiddo.
And before the usual suspects complain: YES, I'm using hyperbole here.
In addition, the job market rarely stays "worker's market" for long.
I still remember how nasty the dot com crash was.
Top talent turned into zeroes overnight.
Over the long run, the job market obliterates entitlement mentality.
The Dot Com Bust was predicated on the Dot Com Boom generating more revenue than what CONgress had anticipated. This surplus caused the first fiscal year without a budget deficit, and thus no new Federal Reserve Notes were borrowed into existence (Title 12 USC Sec 411). THAT lack of new FRNs triggered the bust, not unlike the Crash of 1929, when circulating mediums were suddenly sucked out of the market by loans being called due on demand, etc., etc.
The skyrocketing National Debt, a consequence of a government taxing 4 trillions while spending 6+ trillions per year, is keeping the non-workers off the market. When gubmint stops the entitlement train, if ever, then we'll see the end of the worker's market.
Of course, that is a simplified outline of the situation. But details are long and boring.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:09 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
I am sur there are some folks that are willing to quit rather than heed the call back to the office, especially if, as others have said, they can find a comparable remote work position at another company. But I think asserting that this gives employers a "loophole" to avoid cases going toward their unemployment experience seems far-fetched. An employer likely won't know exactly which if its employees would make that choice so it would be risking losing the employees it actually wants to keep. I really can't see employers deciding to bring people back to the office hoping a bunch of them will quit.

Old 04-03-2022, 06:38 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,956 times
Quote:
Yes, the bosses and CEO's are seeing what their entitlement is doing to their companies, as employees walk right out of their doors.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:25 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Every single person I know who said they'd quit if they had to return to the office has returned to the office and not quit.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:37 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,309,310 times
A friend of mine is getting ready to quit soon due to upcoming return to office. Friend moved to a different state, knowing that return to office wouldn't be possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment