Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 06:22 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
he is not getting the job done
That's not the definition of "quiet quitting," which is doing your job but no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 06:40 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I didn't realize what quiet quitting was I guess. I'm guessing these people are hoping they get fired so they get unemployment/severance?
Not really.

Quiet quitting is an application of work-to-rule, in which employees work within defined work hours and engage solely in activities within those hours. Despite the name, the philosophy of quiet quitting is not necessarily connected to quitting a job outright, but rather doing precisely what the job requires.

The primary objective of quiet quitting is not to disrupt the workplace, but rather to avoid occupational burnout and to pay more attention to one's mental health and personal well-being.

Although the term quiet quitting was coined in 2009, aspects of quiet quitting have existed in the workplace and popular culture for a long time. The film Office Space (1999) depicts a character engaging in quiet quitting; in the film, Ron Livingston's character Peter Gibbons abandons the concept of work entirely and does the bare minimum required of him.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:29 AM

21,837 posts, read 25,121,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
That's not the definition of "quiet quitting," which is doing your job but no more.
More accurately it's doing just enough of your job to not get fired. Or maybe not, it has become kind of meaningless. Back when I was a much younger I had a part-time job where the employer expected people to show up at least 30 minutes before their shift and then stay at least another 30 minutes after, unpaid. When they told me to show up early I immediately clocked in. When they asked me to work after clocking out I said sure and immediately clocked back in unless I had plans and they waited until 5 minutes until my shift ended. According to how some people use it, that's quiet quitting. I call it not being a toadstool.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:32 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,545,735 times
Quote:
This irritates me because I have always done that.

On what planet do you do extra free work?

It isn't quite quitting to do what you get paid for. I think we need to change the terminology.

Old 10-01-2022, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^ Interesting.
What is "reasonable?" in terms of working hours, before it does become the work of 2 or 3 people.

Work people too much and they burn out. When they burn out, they quiet quit. Or just quit period.

If, during an 8-hour day, the employee literally doesn't have time to eat and pee, then is that too much work for one person.

There are jobs where the person is busy from start to finish. Leave to go to the loo, and a phone call is waiting on you when you get back. Go to heat up your lunch to bring back to your desk to eat during lunch, and two more files are on your desk than when you left to go to the break room. I probably average in the 25 to 30 hour range. I don't need to work more so I don't. I co

I've worked 40-hour weeks, where shifts were busy start to finish.
And I've worked 37.5 hour work weeks, with down time. 37.5 is better. And 36 is even better than that.

Variable, depends on type of work as well. Mostly 55 to 60 is what most people can do on an extended basis. Will is a separate question. Particularly salaried employees won't accept working 60 hour weeks. With the OT that would be double pay so unless an employer is offering 2x the salary as the next job that doesn't demand 60 hours it isn't worth even thinking about. I average around 25 to 30, don't need to work more. Previously I worked govt contracts, 37.5 hours about half of which was looking busy to not rock the boat. Not a good fit for me. I want to get in, get out. When you're dragging your feet and spending half your time doing nothing and still getting the stank eye from most of the office for making them look bad it's just not a good fit. The people were there because they were lazy and wanted a cushy job. There wasn't adequate management. They were govt employees and had no clue what we were doing which is why it was contracted. The agency loved lazy people. They got to place twice as many people as were needed and make twice as much money. It's not like it paid well but it was my foot in the door.

Lunch time is not paid unless it's an exempted position where one is expected to work through lunch as part of their job, two 15 minute breaks and let's be excessively generous with the pee time at another 15 minutes. If you have 8 hours and 45 minutes of work to do in an 8 hour day, it is not two jobs. It's 8 hours of work and 45 minutes of overtime. Can you cut 45 minutes of time by working sloppy, probably. The smarter employer will just pay the overtime.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-01-2022 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-01-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
More accurately it's doing just enough of your job to not get fired. Or maybe not, it has become kind of meaningless.
Not. It's performing your job, but not going above and beyond. My last supervisor, an annoying Millennial, loved saying that if you're doing only what you were hired to do and paid to do, you weren't doing enough to earn your paycheck. Which is completely illogical, but that's new management for you. Quiet quitting is a way of eliminating employees you can't run roughshod over while blaming the employee. I'm sure he learned it at some conference or other...

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/quiet-quitting/

Old 10-01-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Not. It's performing your job, but not going above and beyond. My last supervisor, an annoying Millennial, loved saying that if you're doing only what you were hired to do and paid to do, you weren't doing enough to earn your paycheck. Which is completely illogical, but that's new management for you. Quiet quitting is a way of eliminating employees you can't run roughshod over while blaming the employee. I'm sure he learned it at some conference or other...

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/quiet-quitting/
You're naive enough to think literally everything you were hired to do is in the job description explicitly rather than in general terms such as other tasks as assigned?

Not everyone needs to be a go-getter and be the first one in and the last one out. If your job to process invoices you don't need to come up with business strategies for expansion. Just do our job, all of it. When you get the obviously incorrect invoice to process kick it back where it came quietly to get fixed before billing the client. It might not be in your job description but it's part of what your paid to do. Picking up your managers dry cleaning while out to get the sandwiches for the executive lunch meeting on your unpaid lunch hour is not.

Old 10-01-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You're naive enough to think literally everything you were hired to do is in the job description explicitly rather than in general terms such as other tasks as assigned?
It's more a case of having been hired long enough ago (30+ years) that "only" doing your job but doing it well was enough to earn your paycheck, keep your job, and even get COL increases. There was a time when we didn't all have to be cheerleaders and eager beavers and tap dance and show ambition to impress our bosses beyond that. The good old days!

Old 10-01-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
It's more a case of having been hired long enough ago (30+ years) that "only" doing your job but doing it well was enough to earn your paycheck, keep your job, and even get COL increases. There was a time when we didn't all have to be cheerleaders and eager beavers and tap dance and show ambition to impress our bosses beyond that. The good old days!
As it is today. Not doing your job because every last thing entailed in doing your job was not listed in your job description and your manager didn't explicitly micromanage it is very far from doing your job well. Neither is whining about having to do anymore than 15 hours of work a week. It's DMV worker mentality. Been there, done that with the extremely lazy people looking for every opportunity to shirk the most amount of work possible. It's extremely annoying. Doing your job well is farther removed from that than the office brownnose who comes in on Saturdays to make sure the janitor didn't leave the bosses blotter two inches to the left and makes sure everyone knows about it.

Most people just want to do their job. They don't want to be micromanaged or have a 65 page job description with weekly addendums because Steve won't do anything unless it's in his job description or the boss sits there all day telling him what to do.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:17 AM

1,462 posts, read 659,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
i have a quiet quitter working for me. He will feel the pain very soon. if it continues he will quiet quit somewhere else.
Are we talking "loud unemployment?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment