Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 03:03 AM

257 posts, read 1,081,357 times

Advertisements

Seriously considering quitting my job and relocating because it is time to move on. I have been divorced a while now, and I was going to relocate after the divorce but decided I would have been running, so I stuck around until I knew for sure I wanted to leave the area. It has been 7yrs now and I am ready but I will have to relocate, then rely on COBRA until I find something else, as stated in previous threads I am a little more leary of starting over now, then lets say I was 5 or 10yrs ago. But, life is so short and I am not getting any younger.

I am just wondering if others would take this kind of risk, relocating alone and starting over where u don't know a soul......No job, no place to stay just yet, because I am having problems finding anyone to rent to me w/o a job. I don't want to buy yet, because that doesn't make sense to me in a new area.........

I think I just want to know I am not alone and gain confidence in my abilities that I can do this............!! Old lady or not!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 03:23 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
I would! And good for you!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:16 AM

4,193 posts, read 2,514,758 times
I will retire when I am 56 and will be moving west where over time and a few visits I have made friends. The difference is I guess that I will have full retirement and will only want a part-time job. From what I read, it is a bit difficult to find employment after 50 though I have seen agencies which specialize for folks our age. Go for it. I believe place has an effect. I have a friend who sold everything, got on a plane and moved to Seattle. He went from misery to being happier than he has ever been. He did find a job, but had to work up the ladder.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:48 AM

942 posts, read 1,393,608 times
It does seem very hard to find employment after 50 even younger anymore. I retired at 49 from the federal govt, thru downsizing, but I had already secured full time employment with the airlines before I put the papers in. I had barely 2 years with the airlines when 9/11 came, and then was laid off immediately due to the many problems they had and lack of seniority, Thankfully I only needed a part time job since I had my pension and beneifts, but it was hard to find a part time job. It is something you seriously have to consider when making choices, whether or not there will be any kind of job to find. Keep this in mind if you need part time, and you live in a area with large concentrations of college students or immigrants, the difficulty becomes all that much more. I ran into that here in Portland.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:30 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,941,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
Seriously considering quitting my job and relocating because it is time to move on. I have been divorced a while now, and I was going to relocate after the divorce but decided I would have been running, so I stuck around until I knew for sure I wanted to leave the area. It has been 7yrs now and I am ready but I will have to relocate, then rely on COBRA until I find something else, as stated in previous threads I am a little more leary of starting over now, then lets say I was 5 or 10yrs ago. But, life is so short and I am not getting any younger.

I am just wondering if others would take this kind of risk, relocating alone and starting over where u don't know a soul......No job, no place to stay just yet, because I am having problems finding anyone to rent to me w/o a job. I don't want to buy yet, because that doesn't make sense to me in a new area.........

I think I just want to know I am not alone and gain confidence in my abilities that I can do this............!! Old lady or not!
I moved to a different city 21 months after my divorce (at age 51), but I moved there because I got a job there. I would be more concerned about not having a job than about the move.

You are smart not to buy until you learn more about the areas and neighborhoods.

Even with a job, in a new city it is sometimes difficult to rent an apartment from any of the big complexes or apartment managing companies if you have a new job and no local prior address. I rented a house from an individual for a while, and later moved into a big apartment complex once I had proven my "stability" in the area.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2007, 01:57 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,269,134 times
I almost did the same thing at 40, but I happened across my current (and LAST) DH. Why not see if you can secure a job first? It's usually easier to get a job when you have one.

BTW, 50 is no longer old. Go for it, girl, and best of luck!

Old 05-24-2007, 05:24 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:

I moved twice without a job- It can be done. You only get one life- the era of staying in the same place forever isnt for everyone. rent and research areas you are interested in.

sunny

Old 05-25-2007, 04:48 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,227,054 times
Quote:

You're not an old lady, but I am, nearly 59 and I'm seriously considering starting over in another state all by my baby self. It is a little scary, but exciting as well. Time will tell if I can work it all out, and enjoy my sunset years amongst beauty and good weather.

If it doesn't work out, that's okay too. I love my house and have made many friends in 28 years, but I wish I could carry the house with me if I do move. Making friends all over again isn't a problem because that's an easy thing to do.

I do not relish the thought though of find another job, so I may have to wait a few years until I retire.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,381,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
You're not an old lady, but I am, nearly 59 and I'm seriously considering starting over in another state all by my baby self. It is a little scary, but exciting as well. Time will tell if I can work it all out, and enjoy my sunset years amongst beauty and good weather.
I'm older than both of you, so quit whining about your age. If you've got an adventurous and positive attitude you'll make it. Good luck and enjoy every day of the new life.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:44 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,882,350 times
If i were your boss ..would have gifted you an all expense paid cruise trip to the destination of your choice .. funded by the gratituity u've earned hehe .. j/k i love the idea of giving something grand to the employees who serve the organisation for a period of atleast 15 years .. irrespective of their designation or gender .. i believe those who stick to the company for years and work hard in tough times to see the company progress and grow..definitely deserve the best treat ! .. however i believe you've worked hard enough to live and survive all odds with all your glory .. on behalf of every hard working people .. i wish you reap the fruits of labour with loads of bliss and in sheer zest .. remember its a beginning of a new life .. so have a great start and enjoy every moment in time ..god bless you take care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement