Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 03:46 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Huh? The woman in the article GOT A JOB. Sure, lack of experience makes things more difficult, but not impossible.
Right. She found a job after HUNDREDS OF REJECTIONS because employers don't want to hire people without experience. There were no career jobs that required no experience.

She found one employer willing to give her a chance.

So what you're saying is that the only solution to the catch-22 is luck.

Just be lucky enough to find one employer willing to give you a chance.

Skills don't matter.

Education doesn't matter.

Certifications don't matter.

Portfolio of work doesn't matter.

Soft skills don't matter.

Personality doesn't matter.

Character doesn't matter.

Ability to do the job doesn't matter.

Willingness to do the job doesn't matter.

Can do attitude doesn't matter.

Positive attitude doesn't matter

Only luck matters.

If the catch-22 didn't exist, she would not have had to apply to 357 other jobs. She would have gotten a job after 10-20 rejections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 06:51 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Seems you also believe that it is impossible for someone to have a different opinion without you thinking there's something wrong with them.

Check your brainwashing.
Quote:
Right. She found a job after HUNDREDS OF REJECTIONS because employers don't want to hire people without experience. There were no career jobs that required no experience.

She found one employer willing to give her a chance.

Skills don't matter.

Only luck matters.

If the catch-22 didn't exist, she would not have had to apply to 357 other jobs. She would have gotten a job after 10-20 rejections.
You should consider bobsell's suggestion below. It might be the solution to your problem.

Quote:
Seems you also believe that it is impossible for someone to have a different opinion without you thinking there's something wrong with them.

Check your brainwashing

Old 10-27-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You should consider bobsell's suggestion below. It might be the solution to your problem.
I don't believe that just because someone disagrees with me, that there's something wrong with them or they're evil. There's a long list of people in this forum who are like that.

Will you tell them to take my suggestion?

I suspect not.

Old 10-27-2021, 09:49 PM

About that girl who got 357 rejections and finally got a job.

1/357 = 0.002% success rate = 99.998% of software developer jobs in her metro area don't hire people without experience. This is one of the most in-demand roles.

But somehow 100% of graduates get jobs without experience according to catch-22 deniers. Always. No exception.

Math is so hard, hence it is easy for some to deny the catch-22 exists.

Last edited by bobsell; 10-27-2021 at 10:02 PM..

Old 10-28-2021, 06:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
About that girl who got 357 rejections and finally got a job.

1/357 = 0.002% success rate = 99.998% of software developer jobs in her metro area don't hire people without experience. This is one of the most in-demand roles.

But somehow 100% of graduates get jobs without experience according to catch-22 deniers. Always. No exception.

Math is so hard, hence it is easy for some to deny the catch-22 exists.
Ask anyone. Would you rather send out 400 resumes and get the job you want. Or would you rather send out 40 resumes, get frustrated, and stay in your current situation.

Old 10-28-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Ask anyone. Would you rather send out 400 resumes and get the job you want. Or would you rather send out 40 resumes, get frustrated, and stay in your current situation.
So again, you're saying it is just luck.

Skills don't matter.

Only luck matters.

So, you believe 100% of people can get jobs without work experience, no exception, because everyone is lucky.

Old 10-28-2021, 09:04 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
I love the state these employers are in right now. Was looking for a part time job a few months ago to bring in spending cash while I get my degree and I basically get to make my own hours and pay rate and negotiate.

Place A offered me $18 an hour.
Place B offered me $22.50 with Holiday Pay (1.5x) and I can choose my own hours.
Place C offered me $20 an hour with a $1,500 sign on bonus and I can work when I want.

It's always fun going back to Place A and asking for a match then formally declining the job offer.

And these are like customer service/retail jobs. They are short staffed and the few employees are still doing the same amoutn of work, but I need to be paid accordingly. COmpanies are starting to comply with that.

Old 10-30-2021, 12:03 PM

341 posts, read 292,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
these companies are paying for having incompetent HR staff.

In my experience this is the top issue, HR. The problem is that over the years HR has inserted their tentacles into the recruiting process to the point that the hiring managers (the people who actually need the people in the first place, remember him/her?) have very little control in how candidates are sourced. And the end result is the process has devolved into nothing short of complete and total dysfunction.

I mean lets look at a typical recruitment: HR makes up the job requirements (that in many cases they don't even understand), they require applicants to spend 1-2 hours filling out online applications (even though the candidate has a resume), taking 400 question personality tests, filling out skills assessments, supplemental questionnaire's, cultural fit assessments and IQ tests. Then to top all this off they filter candidates through AI/ATS software that reject qualified candidates for not having the correct buzzwords, keyword optimization or keyword distribution in their application. I mean come on, the amount of time candidates must invest into filling out all this garbage just to apply for one job online, only to be rejected is insane. What type of candidates do the think they are going to get after throwing up these types of hoops, usually only to receive an AI generated rejection letter almost instantaneously, or just to be ghosted entirely?

Last year when I was casually looking for a new role, I would quickly abort any online application that started getting too cumbersome, and I am sure I am not the only person who does. And I am very qualified at what I do, so it's their loss not mine. In fact my last two jobs I got through recruiters seeking me out who were specifically tapped by the hiring manager to bypass HR altogether. That should tell you something right there, lol.

Now, i've been reading more and more in the media that there's good evidence that increasing use of ATS systems have a big role in the blame. But the majority of mid to large companies use them, to "help" HR with recruiting because they're just soooo busy trying to find qualified candidates (lol). So basically, the software is broken and is causing a lot of the employer/employee mismatch, yet HR is digging their heels in and insisting on continuing to use it with the excuse that they are too busy trying to find qualified candidates to not use it to help them find qualified candidates. Makes perfect sense

What's that saying about the definition of insanity....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment