Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2021, 09:32 PM

35,363 posts, read 31,836,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Ironically, we're talking about how none of these college grads can get hired for any job whatsoever on a thread that is simultaneously bemoaning a shortage of workers for the jobs available. It's like Tencent mentioned, the math just doesn't add up. The company I'm consulting with can't find applicants to accept their job. They've been desperately trying to convince me to stay on full-time, but I'm also not interested. I'm working for them in an accounting capacity, and I haven't even finished my accounting program. But apparently I'm to believe there are queues of unemployed college grads who can't find a single job out there that isn't a McJob making minimum wage.
I work for a hospital system with many open IT positions. My manager has had two positions open in the last few months, and another one to open up once the current opening is filled. We've lost a lot of employees because other employers are also allowing remote work, and our benefits suck.

None of these positions have had more than ten applicants. Most of these applicants have no IT experience at all. CS and MIS grads were a dime a dozen a decade ago. We are now making offers to people on one interview, when, a decade ago, there would have been three interviews at different times, and the people we are now making offers to wouldn't have gotten an HR screen a decade ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 11:22 PM

526 posts, read 353,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I work for a hospital system with many open IT positions. My manager has had two positions open in the last few months, and another one to open up once the current opening is filled. We've lost a lot of employees because other employers are also allowing remote work, and our benefits suck.

None of these positions have had more than ten applicants. Most of these applicants have no IT experience at all. CS and MIS grads were a dime a dozen a decade ago. We are now making offers to people on one interview, when, a decade ago, there would have been three interviews at different times, and the people we are now making offers to wouldn't have gotten an HR screen a decade ago.
What happened?

Covid unemployment has expired in many states so that cannot be the only reason.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:02 AM

8,339 posts, read 6,872,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm4256 View Post
What happened?

Covid unemployment has expired in many states so that cannot be the only reason.
Because it's now in the employees ballgame as to what they're playing for.

If you have two employers and pay is same, then the benefits must be evaluated.

My former employer is now bringing in temps like crazy, they show up, get a week of training on paperwork, do 1-3 weeks and quit

People aren't being promoted, some temps doing level 2 work. People out for various issues... Glad I'm gone

Old 10-12-2021, 12:43 AM

526 posts, read 353,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Because it's now in the employees ballgame as to what they're playing for.

If you have two employers and pay is same, then the benefits must be evaluated.

My former employer is now bringing in temps like crazy, they show up, get a week of training on paperwork, do 1-3 weeks and quit

People aren't being promoted, some temps doing level 2 work. People out for various issues... Glad I'm gone
Right. But why is there much more demand for workers now? Boomers retiring?

Old 10-12-2021, 05:39 AM

3,025 posts, read 2,297,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Businesses cannot simply "pay more". Sure, if Taco Bell paid $100 an hour, they'd finally have a line of applicants miles long! But how much would a taco cost?

Labor is a cost that must be controlled. You cannot have labor exceed a given percentage of gross income and remain in business. Period.
The fact that businesses are offering higher wages show they can pay more though they were just not willing until they were forced to.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:24 AM

23,173 posts, read 12,420,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
The fact that businesses are offering higher wages show they can pay more though they were just not willing until they were forced to.

Not really. They are having to raise prices to pay more, resulting in inflation.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:28 AM

17,067 posts, read 12,716,079 times
Low end part time jobs have a severe shortage.

Some tech field have shortages.

If you are a 50 year old mech engineer or some kind of manager in most areas, not so much of a shortage.

Hemlock said it very well.

>Yes, it depends on the kind of job. It's the minimum/lower wage jobs up to about $20/hour that are begging for help. Once you get up to the $30+ jobs with good benefits requiring experience and skills, it's still competitive. My last hire (last week) for a $60k job resulted in 22 applicants, 8 met the minimums, 4 were very well qualified, making it a difficult choice.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:44 AM

3,283 posts, read 2,700,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I wish I could be surprised that some people actually believe this.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:55 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,552,041 times
I'm even seeing companies offering decent pay and benefits to chemists. I'm seeing fewer work for us via Aerotek or some fly by night indian recruiter for $15-20/hr no benefits offers.

I think one the boomers are retiring. The market has been good so this is a good time to leave the workforce. Some are aging out and no longer capable or working or even dying.

Two, companies mistreated and put every roadblock possible to prevent people from being able to develop the skills to replace the boomers leaving. A lot of chemistry grads and other grads gave up and left the field after all the abuse and sh*t jobs, companies offered no training, and had no tolerance for anyone without experience. With the boomers retiring, that is all coming to a head now with a big gap of mid-level experienced employees.

As always, incompetent, HR-junk science riddled hiring processes. I still see HR and managers using ridiculous pseudoscience to select talent. HR "science" has the same level of veracity as the crowd preaching about taking their dog's heart worm preventative (Ivermectin) to treat Covid19. This dysfunction causes squandering of potential talent and expensive inefficiency hiring the wrong person for the wrong selection criteria.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:04 AM

368 posts, read 150,257 times
This is the result of giving out free money for over a year, plain and simple. A lot of people are still living off those PPP loans and whatever else they received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment