Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 09:25 AM

22,128 posts, read 13,160,135 times

Advertisements

The supervisor didn't comment on her body. He commented on her health (because she was complaining about her health and its impact on her job).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 10:28 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,249,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The supervisor didn't comment on her body.
He commented about her weight. That is about her body. How else could it not be?

Weight is a body issue.

If the boss were legally blind and couldn't see her, I doubt he'd talk about her weight.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:04 PM

He didn't specifically mention her weight, as I read the post.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:43 PM

6,480 posts, read 7,832,406 times
All semantic BS. I would bet that the supervisor was not calling her fat or trying to insult the OP. My strong guess is that it was much more about health - physical and mental. Situations are different so we can't say if it was apprpriate or not but it was likely not coming from a bad place.

And regardless if the OP was hurt by it, which I feel bad about, it is still likely that the supervisor's intentions were good. I am not taking sides against the OP, just stating what is reasonbley true.

Old 08-11-2021, 01:03 PM

The OP is no doubt sensitive about her weight and is recalling this incident through that filter.

There are multiple good reasons for her to lose weight; I would advise her to take her employer up on his generous offer.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:56 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,315,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I think it depends on the relationship with the employee, but it does border on inappropriate. However, if anyone thinks for a second that their employer isn't gauging the health of their employees and making decisions based on that, they're fooling themselves.

Welcome to employer-sponsored healthcare, folks! If you're an elevated risk to their health plan, you better believe you're on their radar.
Yes sir! The biggest deterrent to going to the doctor is what people put into their mouth. Heart disease is still number one.

OP, are you in your 50's? This is when I have seen co-workers falling off due to bad health habits. 3 in the last 3 years

Old 08-11-2021, 03:18 PM

2,124 posts, read 1,335,642 times
Weight has lots of things to do with the job performance. If you are overweight, you will walk slower, and your job will be done slower. I'm talking from my own experience from working with a couple of office co-workers. We do office work, but we have duties to do labor work also such as dividing and delivering supplies to the units (in a care centre). And on our job, we need to walk around a lot to see and talk to the residents. Everybody in every department, from management to lower levels, has to do some physical work. If somebody makes excuses about his/her health issues (mental or physical) and just wants to sit at the desk everyday, and wants not to do heavy work, others may not speak it out loud (because they can't), but they give that person a look, or think in their head that that person is a lazy butt.

I hate working with somebody who talks too much and bribes the management and makes excuses that she has physical or mental health issues and cannot do heavy work and expects everybody to take her slacks. Imagine if you have to work with somebody like that, you will have to take lots of work/weight from her/him. You will be stressed and burnt out sooner or later. If the company has a few like that, eventually, the company will have dozens of such. That is crazy.

To exercise more, walk around a lot at least, eat healthy food, not fat or fast food, don't eat so much, and have self-discipline can help you a lot to have good health and not to be so overweight.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:34 PM

22,671 posts, read 19,361,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
No. It is totally out of line for a supervisor to comment on anyone's body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Where was it stated that the supervisor did that?
the post i responded too said it. see post 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Working 6 days/week for a long time would affect most people in a negative way. I would guess that the supervisor was trying to help by suggesting weight loss programs so I would try not to be upset or embarrassed.

We all need to take care of ourselves physically and mentally as best we can.

Best of luck OP.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:37 PM

22,671 posts, read 19,361,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The supervisor didn't comment on her body. He commented on her health (because she was complaining about her health and its impact on her job).
post 48 condones the behavior of a supervisor commenting on the body of an employee.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
post 48 condones the behavior of a supervisor commenting on the body of an employee.
That's a poster's "guess" as to what the supervisor said. The OP says he never commented on her weight directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment