Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 07:40 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,972,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Proceed as normal, he may feel that the excess weight is contributing to the fatigue, which it probably is. Of course he shouldn't have mentioned it, but if it's a small firm, & family run, they may consider you part of the family, & families do say such things to each other.

I would just forget about it, & carry on with your job.
honestly, that was my first thought.
I mean, I can understand why the OP was offended, but on the other hand it's actually nice that it seems they DO care and will be supportive. Maybe they'll even help pay for some sort of program or what not. I've seen bosses do just that. If you were not a valued and important employee to them, I doubt they would have offered that, OP. Much luck to you, and hope you get some rest and are feeling better soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 09:43 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,407,633 times
I can't imagine a man wanting to bring up a woman's weight.

One place where I worked had The Biggest Loser contests.

They encouraged their employees to stay fit. It keeps you healthy, less time lost on injuries and illness.

Old 08-04-2021, 05:51 AM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
He DIDN'T directly bring up or mention her weight; he said she should take better care of herself so she will feel better. The "you know where I'm going with this" may have been an allusion to her weight, but he didn't say "you're fat," although obviously this is the case and the poster knows it, which is why she's "projecting."

Honestly, I thought he was "going" somewhere else, like if she keeps leaving early and taking days off due to ill health as well as reneging on the Saturdays she had initially agreed to, her job might be in peril.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:13 AM

6,519 posts, read 4,062,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Supervisor is only concerned, be appreciative of it.
I don't see where it's the supervisor's place to be "concerned." OP has decided it's more than they want to do to work weekends anymore, so they told their employer they no longer want to (and it really doesn't matter why, whether they want to start playing pickup soccer on weekends, spend time with a child or family member, or just want to sleep in). Supervisor decided that OP must have some sort of issues that need to be solved in order to keep them working weekends. OP. Just. Doesn't. Want. To. Supervisor's response should have been "Okay, we will figure out how to cover that day with someone else from now on." If supervisor was "concerned," they could have said, "Is everything okay? If not, please let us know," and then dropped it.

Notice the OP told manager they were stressed and burned out, and rather than being concerned for the OP's mental health-- as most people would do-- it was immediately "oh it must be because you're fat." Most people here did the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
He DIDN'T directly bring up or mention her weight; he said she should take better care of herself so she will feel better. The "you know where I'm going with this" may have been an allusion to her weight, but he didn't say "you're fat," although obviously this is the case and the poster knows it, which is why she's "projecting."

Honestly, I thought he was "going" somewhere else, like if she keeps leaving early and taking days off due to ill health as well as reneging on the Saturdays she had initially agreed to, her job might be in peril.
OP said they left early for a Covid test, and I assume took the next day off in case it was positive. Took time off-- "the weekend" they say, which means they were off Saturday (which is only half a day), Friday, and a couple hours on Thursday-- for the first time in years; not exactly a significant amount of time. That's going to put a job in peril??? What would this company do with someone who has kids who get sick, who has chronic illnesses, actually got Covid, etc.?

Many people "burn out" on their jobs, or do not want to work extra shifts/weekends, and it has nothing to do with their physical health. It's interesting that so many people are assuming it does, though, just because OP mentioned they are overweight. Had they said, "I feel burned out from my job because those extra hours make it hard to work on training for my marathon," I bet nobody would have been concerned about their health.

The amount of negative judgment and conclusions jumped to on OP because they happened to mention they were overweight is staggering.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:41 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,768,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I feel for you OP. No vacation in three years? You need a sabbatical to recharge, more than one week. Two weeks minimum. Sure, the weight may be hurting you but as long as you are doing our job it is none of their business. However, you owe it to yourself to get healthier. Life will be more enjoyable for you. Best of luck.
Playing devils advocate, but most people also feel like taking a vacation won't do anything because all it does is create a massive backload of work since no one will be covering their job duties, which in turn makes it more stressful during and after vacation.

It would be nice to have a job where the work is covered and completed and when employee comes back from vacation they just start fresh.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:48 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,926,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
It would be nice to have a job where the work is covered and completed and when employee comes back from vacation they just start fresh.
Exactly.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:53 AM

29,788 posts, read 34,596,352 times
Quote:
Playing devils advocate, but most people also feel like taking a vacation won't do anything because all it does is create a massive backload of work since no one will be covering their job duties, which in turn makes it more stressful during and after vacation.

There's no need to be a work martyr, though. Many people don't have someone to do their job while they're out on vacation, so you spend the day you get back going through your emails. That doesn't mean you should never take a day off because the work is so important and only you can do it. Vacation and PTO are benefits that you earn.. Not using them means you're working for free sometimes, and has no benefit to you.

And even if it is a small company, you don't have to give a lot of detail on why you're taking time off: "I need next Thursday off, thanks." or "Things have changed with my schedule, and I'll no longer be able to work Saturdays starting in September."

Old 08-04-2021, 08:39 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,594,615 times
Since your boss brought it up, do you have a thyroid problem? If so you’ll likely qualify for gastric bypass surgery, and you now have a great reason to discuss with your boss about approval for this surgery, I know a lot of co workers have had it done. If you’re morbidly obese, this could change your life. You should look into it. You’ll need to go to classes, get a psych evaluation, and also lose weight before they do the surgery, as well as be approved by insurance.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:02 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,768,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There's no need to be a work martyr, though. Many people don't have someone to do their job while they're out on vacation, so you spend the day you get back going through your emails. That doesn't mean you should never take a day off because the work is so important and only you can do it. Vacation and PTO are benefits that you earn.. Not using them means you're working for free sometimes, and has no benefit to you.

And even if it is a small company, you don't have to give a lot of detail on why you're taking time off: "I need next Thursday off, thanks." or "Things have changed with my schedule, and I'll no longer be able to work Saturdays starting in September."
Speaking to the choir here, but many positions don't have backups and thus the reason why employees don't feel any relief taking time off.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:59 PM

29,788 posts, read 34,596,352 times
Quote:
Speaking to the choir here, but many positions don't have backups and thus the reason why employees don't feel any relief taking time off.
Eh, any time off is beneficial, even if you have to go through a bunch of emails when you get back. In my experience, as the only person who does my job in my workplace, if you make arrangements ahead of time, (i.e. Set you out of office message, tell people who they can contact in your absence that that you'll be back on x day) things work out fine. You're not a robot, and your colleagues don't expect you to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment