Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 10:40 PM

2,314 posts, read 3,888,290 times

Advertisements

20 years ago I worked nights. 10:30 pm to 6:30 am Sunday night through Friday morning. Got use to it. Hated going in at night but loved driving home well before anyone else was on the road. I could take my time, enjoy the morning hours, have a relaxed breakfast. Plus was able to go to bed without really ever setting an alarm clock. Never had to worry about medical appointments either. I could always schedule them for early morning times and still be home in time to get some solid sack time. Looking back I think I actually slept better when I worked nights. There's also something incredibly calming about taking that 15 minute break around 3:45 am, sitting on the loading dock, having a smoke, shooting the breeze with your co-workers, staring off into the dark night. Plus 3rd shift management was far more relaxed as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2021, 07:21 AM

6,697 posts, read 3,337,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
20 years ago I worked nights. 10:30 pm to 6:30 am Sunday night through Friday morning. Got use to it. Hated going in at night but loved driving home well before anyone else was on the road. I could take my time, enjoy the morning hours, have a relaxed breakfast. Plus was able to go to bed without really ever setting an alarm clock. Never had to worry about medical appointments either. I could always schedule them for early morning times and still be home in time to get some solid sack time. Looking back I think I actually slept better when I worked nights. There's also something incredibly calming about taking that 15 minute break around 3:45 am, sitting on the loading dock, having a smoke, shooting the breeze with your co-workers, staring off into the dark night. Plus 3rd shift management was far more relaxed as well.
As I've mentioned in previous posts, I, too, worked the "night shift" for several years. And my experience was similar to yours. "Lunch break" was at 4 AM, and during the summer, we'd frequently be outside, in front of the building, tossing a football around, getting some fresh air.....

Old 08-13-2021, 07:29 PM

2,314 posts, read 3,888,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
As I've mentioned in previous posts, I, too, worked the "night shift" for several years. And my experience was similar to yours. "Lunch break" was at 4 AM, and during the summer, we'd frequently be outside, in front of the building, tossing a football around, getting some fresh air.....
There was definitely something "fraternal" about working the night shift. Like a secret club or something.

Old 08-14-2021, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
There was definitely something "fraternal" about working the night shift. Like a secret club or something.
Now that you mention it, yes, there was. We used to work a lot of OT, which was somewhat of a drawback on the "graveyard shift", because it meant that we had to come into work on Friday night and work into Saturday mornings. As a single guy, I wasn't thrilled about having to cut short my social activities or attendance at sporting events, in order to go into work, on what was normally considered a "weekend night". But the extra money certainly was welcomed, and a "side benefit" of volunteering for that shift meant that you didn't have to try to adjust to varying sleep schedules, which came with rotating A-B shift work.

However, I still remember one particular Friday night, even though it occurred in the late 70s.....the building we worked in was 8 stories tall, and had a flat roof. On this particular evening, the city's recreation department was sponsoring a midnight fireworks display, over the downtown area. Our building was on the fringe of downtown, so we crewmembers "clocked in", got ourselves a cup of coffee, then took the freight elevator up to the roof, and watched the fireworks. We had a great view from up there, and management was none the wiser.....

Old 08-16-2021, 05:52 AM

5,087 posts, read 3,515,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandelay-Industries View Post
Any other Night Shift Workers out there?

What do you like or dislike about working Nights?

I personally LOVE working Nights!

I feel VERY Blessed to have such a great shift! I work from 10 PM to 6 AM...No drama, personalities etc.

The only issue I sometimes have is sleeping during the day! On my weekend now, and already somewhat off schedule! On a business day I would be getting ready for bed about now....

Take care..
I worked nights for 5 or 6 years. Loved it. Slept in the afternoon, got up and left for the job. Several hours to do things during the day. BUT, 10 years after going back to a day job (and now retired), my sleep schedule is still broken.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I worked nights for 5 or 6 years. Loved it. Slept in the afternoon, got up and left for the job. Several hours to do things during the day. BUT, 10 years after going back to a day job (and now retired), my sleep schedule is still broken.
I fully understand, as I find that I'm not a great sleeper, either, and I'm in the same situation you are.....

Old 08-16-2021, 05:43 PM

111 posts, read 83,996 times
Did not enjoy it and I need a sleeping pill to actually get some sleep before work, and then I would spend the whole day feeling hung over. Same for working early mornings, I need a sleeping pill to go to bed early and wake up early. If I didn’t take a pill, I would get either 2-3 hours sleep or just stay awake with zero and be dying.

I do best in the afternoon/early evening hours.

The worst part were the gardeners who come by our community and wake me up during the day when I need to sleep. Sometimes they would come before 7am and stay past 4pm making lots of noise!! I was tempted more than once to go out there and scream at them.

Old 08-18-2021, 11:12 AM

9,924 posts, read 7,825,558 times
It's strange I miss night shift but don't

Days I have more energy and am more active

Do miss working nights sometimes maybe that's my introvert self coming out

If circumstances proved to be right would work nights again. Slept maybe 2 to 4 hours before a night shift was always drained. Lived off caffeine. Gained weight due to eating to stay awake and less exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment