Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 09:59 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,501,283 times

Advertisements

Positives:
No manager to be correcting my paperwork.
Self learning.
Go at a disciplined pace.
Am totally accountable for the safety of the building and occupants
Love the quietness.
Negative:
This is year four of being on night shift.
I still cannot get a solid 8 hrs. Which I absolutely need. By the weekend I do a crash and burn. Sleeping 12-14 hours and then napping..I spend two days off in a sleep fog.
The other negative is: social life is nill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 11:23 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,351,051 times
Currently working 9pm-530am, sometimes with OT . Worked 11pm-730am from 2017-2019. Wasn't easy then and it ain't easy now. I have weekends off but I just finished a 7+ hour nap lol.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:30 AM

4 posts, read 5,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Positives:
No manager to be correcting my paperwork.
Self learning.
Go at a disciplined pace.
Am totally accountable for the safety of the building and occupants
Love the quietness.

Agree with all the above....

Are you in security?

I work as a plant operator, and have gotten to know some of the guards who work nights, as it has usually been just me and them on site..

Old 07-25-2021, 02:53 AM

35,169 posts, read 31,469,332 times
I never liked true nights.

My favorite shift was Sunday - Thursday, 6 PM - 2:30 AM. I'd leave work, go home, crash, get up 11 AM - 12 PM, then still have the majority of the day for the gym and any other activities you wanted. The weekend began Friday morning, and Sunday evenings were usually slow enough to be a quasi off-day.

Old 07-25-2021, 03:05 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,035,727 times
Im working nights right now myself. 6pm to 6am for three days then one 4 hour shift from 10 pm to 2 am. Then three days off.

The best shift I had was working from 2pm to 10pm. Got home about 11pm and might go right to bed or might be up for a few hours. Still got up in time to do stuff around the house in the morning and never had to set my alarm.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:22 AM

8,116 posts, read 12,849,179 times
Years ago I worked the 4pm-12am shift and I loved it! I was in my early 20's at the time and we used to go out to bars after work on the weekends (my days off were Monday and Tuesday). Later they went to 12 hour shifts and I worked from 5:30 pm to 6am. I really didn't care for the 12 hr shift.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:40 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,951,202 times
My routine was working day watch during the cooler months and switch to morning watch (graveyard) during the warmer months. My circadian rhythms adapted quickly.

Old 07-25-2021, 02:40 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,671,700 times
I worked nights. 11p to 730a

A coworker had problems with a friend who would call him in the middle of the day and wake him so he called him a couple of times in the middle of the night to teach him a lesson.

I had small children. It felt like I never slept. I never got used to it and finally quit when I could not change shifts. It was one of the best paying jobs I ever had so quitting was a big deal but I felt like I had no life.

Old 07-25-2021, 03:53 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,284,494 times
I've worked around the clock and I liked 3rd shift a lot when 1) I got to work alone, 2) I had set days and hours with Wed/Thurs weekends, and 3) I didn't have to be anywhere during the days when I worked. I am a night-owl by nature so it worked for me, and the shift differential added a nice chunk to my salary.

If I had obligations during the day it scrambled up my sleep something awful.

Another thing that scrambled sleep was on a different night job where I worked 12-hour overnights and the days/nights (6p-6:30a) were always changing. I lasted eight months and was in a fog the entire time.

My favorite was a 2nd-3rd shift set-up; 4:30p-1:00a. Perfect for my internal clock--I'd be drifting off to sleep when I heard my neighbors leaving for work. Also had set days with Tues/Wed off, and 75% of my shift still fell under the differential. I could sleep in and still have part of the day to get things done, especially since I worked remotely so no time was spent commuting. Loved it!

Now I'm working days Monday-Friday with a huge commute. But there are advantages here too, so I've adapted. I still miss that shift-diff, though!

Old 07-25-2021, 04:13 PM

6,528 posts, read 3,208,803 times
I worked in manufacturing for close to 40 years, before retiring, 13 years ago. A couple of the areas that I worked in, during that time, had "around the clock" operations. The protocol was to have everyone to rotate shifts, but I could never understand why. While I know that some people liked, or at least tolerated, the shift rotations, many more, myself included, did NOT like it, as we just couldn't get our sleep patterns adjusted to it.

The first time that I ran into this rotation, it was in an area where the employees had lobbied management to change the routine, and allow volunteers to work the "midnight shift" all the time, rather than rotating. Having previous experience with working a "straight 4 to midnight" job, as a summer job, 2-3 years prior, I hated that shift, and would do just about anything to avoid it. I arrived in this work area, soon after they adopted the new policy.

So, given the opportunity to avoid the "B" shift by working the "C" shift straight, I took it, and wound up working it for about 4-5 years. Initially, I grew to like it. We began at 11:30 PM, Sunday night ended at 8:00 AM on Friday. Being pretty young, and full of energy, I made the most of having all day Friday open, and many times I didn't bother to even take a nap during the day. It was like having an extra day to myself.

But later on, we went on a 6 day, OT schedule, meaning we went in again on Friday, at 11:30 PM, working till Saturday morning. That was a drag....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment