Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2021, 06:16 PM

18,555 posts, read 15,649,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Was that your work environment before WFH? Having to spend half the day walking around nudging your teammates to work?
It's not half a day on average, it's probably only 10-20 minutes a day but it can be higher at the beginning of a project if the members of the other team don't talk to the manager and lack awareness of what needs to be done. It's really, really hard to find the right balance when it comes to meetings - to invite too few people and have a lack of communication, or too many and pester people with meetings to the point that actual work doesn't get done. I don't believe anyone is perfect at that in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
If you were the manager, who would you rather have, someone who works from home, but does their work well, on time, and without complaint OR someone who shows up in the office every day but has to be constantly nudged to get productive work out of them?
As posed, obviously the former, but in real life that is rarely the choice. You hire somebody with only a partial knowledge of how they function in the (real or virtual) workplace. The exception, in a lot of ways, is internships, they let both prospective employers and employees "scope each other out" before starting the job. Interviews often don't reveal everything.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:02 AM

3,954 posts, read 5,104,631 times
Working from home saves money for workers and businesses

Quote:
For those fortunate enough to still be employed and able to work from home during the pandemic, there has been a financial upside.

With no commute to the office, workers are saving money in many different ways.

And companies are also finding out that having employees work from home can mean big savings for themselves.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
The flip side, is what would happen to all the unused office buildings? Should they be re-zoned to residential?

Old 02-20-2021, 12:15 PM

34,151 posts, read 17,220,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The flip side, is what would happen to all the unused office buildings? Should they be re-zoned to residential?
If the owners wish for that and get it approved, sure.

In a city near me, several old stores were converted to residential, and a large former factory site was razed with a train station plus retail added there.

We reuse sites for new purposes every year.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:53 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,837,185 times
The more I observe what is going on, the more I agree that remote employment will not be as ubiquitous as we may think going forward.

I do think that travel will be reduced significantly. Which is a shame but I've already traveled enough to get lifetime top tier statuses.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:26 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,418,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
The more I observe what is going on, the more I agree that remote employment will not be as ubiquitous as we may think going forward.
Disagree. I think it only accelerated it further. Spotify, for example, is allowing employees to work from home forever.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:30 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,837,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Disagree. I think it only accelerated it further. Spotify, for example, is allowing employees to work from home forever.
I thought the same when I heard Facebook (a company I worked for over a decade ago) was doing the same thing for employees of a certain seniority. I do think it will be more accepted... especially for companies that were behind the times, but not be the standard.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,553,443 times
Quote:
Not the employees' problem. They'll figure it out.

Old 02-20-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not the employees' problem. They'll figure it out.
That's not really much of a vision for the future. The are a lot of ways that cities could be re-designed if one is going to take the approach of trying to reduce commutes. Telework is not going to happen on a mass scale without other changes taking place. At least not long-term.

There are some people who want to work from home no matter what and there are others who might prefer an office if their commute were not so long. Is it not reasonable to consider redesigning cities so that the people who want to have both - a short commute and in-office interaction - could do it?

If some people abandon the office entirely and make their home serve dual-purpose as a residential home and also a business space - which is effectively what homeworkers do - then it seems there is at least plausibly an imbalance in the urban planning and zoning, because now you have extra "business" space but the same amount of "residential" space.

Why not create a new zone - some sort of home/office free-for-all complex? If you really think more people should live and work in the same place, why not optimize for mixed use?

Old 02-21-2021, 07:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,553,443 times
Quote:
That's not really much of a vision for the future. The are a lot of ways that cities could be re-designed if one is going to take the approach of trying to reduce commutes. Telework is not going to happen on a mass scale without other changes taking place. At least not long-term.

There are some people who want to work from home no matter what and there are others who might prefer an office if their commute were not so long. Is it not reasonable to consider redesigning cities so that the people who want to have both - a short commute and in-office interaction - could do it?

If some people abandon the office entirely and make their home serve dual-purpose as a residential home and also a business space - which is effectively what homeworkers do - then it seems there is at least plausibly an imbalance in the urban planning and zoning, because now you have extra "business" space but the same amount of "residential" space.

Why not create a new zone - some sort of home/office free-for-all complex? If you really think more people should live and work in the same place, why not optimize for mixed use?
All of this is irrelevant to the average person who wants to just WFH.

No, opening up a laptop doesn't turn my house into a business space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment