Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 06:55 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,896,405 times

Advertisements

There two types if office workers.

1: Those that go to work, to get their work done, and are not social butterflies that just have to keep talking with people.

2: Those that are the chatty Kathys/chatty Bens who spend the day doing a lot of socializing, and often do little work. The ones the others talk about, as they seem to think socializing with other staff is part of their work life. The ones the workers hate, as it means more work for them to do to get it all accomplished.

The #1 group are very happy with work from Home. The #2 group are the ones complaining and want to get back to the office.

This WFH started as a temporary thing, but has turned out to work so well, and will allow the company to cut their expenses considerably as they eliminate most of their office space, etc.

It gives the company a larger pool of workers who are highly qualified, as a lot of the best people do not want to live in a major metro area, and if they can work from home in a small city or small town, they will be available to the best companies. Some may even be working from overseas.

It is going to be a rough go for the chatty Kathys/chatty Bens. They are going to find less and less job opportunities available, and will be working for lower wages in the not so distant future.

And NO you do not have a right to a desk in an office, to take a job. The office workplace is changing rapidly, and the offices will shrink in size, the office desk will be a thing of the past for many jobs, and you will be working for home, or not be able to find a job.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:55 PM

18,567 posts, read 15,786,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Did you ever google coworking office space like I suggested? Seriously, it's a good alternative for folks like you and many companies are doing it in lieu of a permanent office. You can get a dedicated desk with full office amenities for $300/month, which is far less than the $10k you said you would give up to be back in the office. If you are ok with hot desking (desks are shared and you take whatever desk is open) it can be half that.

Seriously. Google it if you really miss it and aren't just whining to be whining.
Actually the one co-working space I looked at back in March wanted a lease and would not do month to month. Not only that but if I were to do a co-working space, I would need a full size space to comply with the security restrictions of the work material - I would not be allowed to let strangers look at it. The cost would end up being about $1,000/month. I may as well just get the actual office back. It would actually probably cost less because you can pack multiple people in a room since other employees of the company I work at are allowed to have access to the materials, while strangers are not.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:03 PM

23,173 posts, read 12,443,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Actually the one co-working space I looked at back in March wanted a lease and would not do month to month. Not only that but if I were to do a co-working space, I would need a full size space to comply with the security restrictions of the work material - I would not be allowed to let strangers look at it. The cost would end up being about $1,000/month. I may as well just get the actual office back. It would actually probably cost less because you can pack multiple people in a room since other employees of the company I work at are allowed to have access to the materials, while strangers are not.

Then look at more of them. Take your materials home with you. This is the first we've heard about secret work materials. It sounds like you are going to invent new obstacles as we go. Even at $1000/month that is not far off from the $10k you claimed you were willing to pay to be in the office.

I'm genuinely trying to offer you solutions not change your mind. Have you considered getting another job?

Old 02-17-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There two types if office workers.

1: Those that go to work, to get their work done, and are not social butterflies that just have to keep talking with people.

2: Those that are the chatty Kathys/chatty Bens who spend the day doing a lot of socializing, and often do little work. The ones the others talk about, as they seem to think socializing with other staff is part of their work life. The ones the workers hate, as it means more work for them to do to get it all accomplished.

The #1 group are very happy with work from Home. The #2 group are the ones complaining and want to get back to the office.

This WFH started as a temporary thing, but has turned out to work so well, and will allow the company to cut their expenses considerably as they eliminate most of their office space, etc.

It gives the company a larger pool of workers who are highly qualified, as a lot of the best people do not want to live in a major metro area, and if they can work from home in a small city or small town, they will be available to the best companies. Some may even be working from overseas.

It is going to be a rough go for the chatty Kathys/chatty Bens. They are going to find less and less job opportunities available, and will be working for lower wages in the not so distant future.

And NO you do not have a right to a desk in an office, to take a job. The office workplace is changing rapidly, and the offices will shrink in size, the office desk will be a thing of the past for many jobs, and you will be working for home, or not be able to find a job.
That is a very offensive stereotype and a lie. Just as much a lie as it would be if I were to say that everyone who works from home is just too lazy to actually go to work.

Socialization is not just about being chatty. Socialization is also the more broader scope of social interaction, not just the "small talk" but the "big talk" too. Things like sitting down to discuss the next steps in the work project. And planning the next project. It may be hard for you to believe if you have never felt this way personally, but it is actually possible for some people to fulfill their needs for interaction by actual work-related conversations, planning, and collaboration. In other words, actual team work. Perhaps in your profession that is uncommon, but nonetheless I would politely ask you to restrain yourself from making this type of remark just as I have restrained myself from labeling WFH proponents as lazy or antisocial.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:26 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,648,366 times
Ncole1, again you refuse to recognize that socialization happens OUTSIDE of work. You can make friends with people you don't work with.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:51 PM

34,359 posts, read 17,555,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

Old 02-17-2021, 07:53 PM

13,049 posts, read 9,357,440 times
Quote:

Offices are not known to be a major source of transmission compared to things like bars and restaurants. I'd be more willing to not go to the office if the rules were consistent. But it makes zero sense to let restaurants reopen and not offices. That's backwards. If you want to do another lockdown, fine, I'll comply. But everybody has to sacrifice.
Bars and restaurants are claiming not to be a major source of transmission either, but that the workplace is. Who is keeping you from work? And what is this sacrifice you're talking about? If you're working from home, you're still getting paid. That's not a sacrifice. If a bar/restaurant is closed, they aren't getting paid. That is a sacrifice on their part.

Quote:
Socialization is not just about being chatty. Socialization is also the more broader scope of social interaction, not just the "small talk" but the "big talk" too. Things like sitting down to discuss the next steps in the work project. And planning the next project. It may be hard for you to believe if you have never felt this way personally, but it is actually possible for some people to fulfill their needs for interaction by actual work-related conversations, planning, and collaboration. In other words, actual team work. Perhaps in your profession that is uncommon, but nonetheless I would politely ask you to restrain yourself from making this type of remark just as I have restrained myself from labeling WFH proponents as lazy or antisocial.
Are those things not happening in your work today, just online? Why can't you go into your office and work from there if everyone else is home?

Old 02-17-2021, 08:26 PM

7,023 posts, read 3,812,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That sux. A few years ago we had no internet at the office for almost a week as some construction crew cut through a major fiber. The cable wire shouldn't have much electricity in it at all. Like milliamps. Something is shorted somewhere. Could be in your house wiring like maybe an electric wire touching a cable connector, maybe at the pedestal tap, or in their neighborhood circuit. Any neighbors having the same issue? Have you replaced the cable modem?
No it had something to do with the wiring underground and I was told it was addressed. It's no point in maintenance lying because the cable will be out again. So this is the type of issue you cant brush under the rug

Old 02-17-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Ncole1, again you refuse to recognize that socialization happens OUTSIDE of work. You can make friends with people you don't work with.
The enforced separation of socialization from work is totally arbitrary . Any activity involving multiple people doing something together can be used for socialization . To artificially limit socialization to non-work times and activities amounts to social deprivation for 40-50 + hours each week that isn't necessary.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Bars and restaurants are claiming not to be a major source of transmission either, but that the workplace is. Who is keeping you from work? And what is this sacrifice you're talking about? If you're working from home, you're still getting paid. That's not a sacrifice. If a bar/restaurant is closed, they aren't getting paid. That is a sacrifice on their part.

Are those things not happening in your work today, just online? Why can't you go into your office and work from there if everyone else is home?
You don't understand. The pro-telework people have become very aggressive in pushing their agenda. Even when I can go into the office, once people have normalized working from home, they are threatening to try to get more people to do it. I worry about a future where I am going to be shamed for wanting to go into the office. Even before the pandemic my employer tried to pressure me to work from home a portion of the time and that made me uncomfortable. Now it just feels like the cat is out of the bag. What's next, the Government is going to try to force it on people so the NSA can collect data from inside people's homes? This kind of thing doesn't seem likely, but it just feels like such a surreal world where people see each other only on screens, work has invaded private homes, and the like. After Edward Snowden's revelation, we have zero basis for really trusting our society to not abuse the privilege of invading what is supposed to be the most sacred private space - the home.

Another thing worrying me is that it might become very hard to find a new job if one has to compete with a nationwide pool of applicants rather than just a local pool. If you have 5000 people competing for one job instead of just 200, that would mean you have to apply for 5000 jobs on average rather than 200, just because the ratio has shifted. This is a truly terrifying possibility and I don't know how on earth to protect myself from this. I don't want to be faced with a choice to be stuck in my current job or to spend some unimaginable number of hours applying for the next position. There has to be a better way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment