Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2021, 11:13 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
If they have to be babysat to get any productivity from them, they should be fired.
That depends on the amount of nudges they need. A person who can still contribute more value than it costs to keep them can still be a valuable employee. They aren’t mutually exclusive. Some people are good at focusing on some tasks but have trouble with some modes of communication. I don’t see what’s so strange about that since we all know people with a variety of strengths and weaknesses.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:23 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
If it is anything like my current team, about 25% ( my estimate) of the people are almost impossible to collaborate with when they work from home. If I were a manager, I can think of a few people that I am not afraid to say should be made to come back. Of course if you are in a profession where you can do a lot of work independently ( e. g. consultant) then that really would not have to matter as much.
They need to be trained to be effective remote workers. If they can't collaborate in an isolated setting they are useless and should be transitioned to other depts. How can grown ups not able to work on their own? Even my children study and attend virtual classroom just fine. But children need social interaction for their personal growth. Adults should be able to handle remote work.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:59 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
They need to be trained to be effective remote workers. If they can't collaborate in an isolated setting they are useless and should be transitioned to other depts. How can grown ups not able to work on their own? Even my children study and attend virtual classroom just fine. But children need social interaction for their personal growth. Adults should be able to handle remote work.
Needing an office = “useless”?

Really?!?!?!

You must just want companies to be able to strip all the amenities away to reduce cost in a race to the bottom. This is not the world we should want.

But perhaps more relevantly, both buyers and sellers of commercial real estate would disagree with that assessment. Think about it for a moment - if offices were truly useless, why would investment firms be willing to go deeply into debt to build new ones?

The entire WFH seems to have somehow given rise to an entirely delusional belief system that going to an office is not necessary. Both me and the big firms will sooner believe that the moon is made of green cheese.

Last edited by ncole1; 02-19-2021 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-19-2021, 01:00 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But you also have to make sure that your data plan can support you being on a hotspot. If you've got the lowest/cheapest data plan, you could burn through your data in a day.
Just checked and I have unlimited highspeed

Old 02-19-2021, 01:12 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Just checked and I have unlimited highspeed

Good deal, though TMO says on their site that after 50Gb on a billing cycle you are subject to data prioritization on a congested tower. If you plan to stream TV you will probably blow past that right away. My monthly usage is about 800Gb. Check your own usage in your Xfinity account. That said, I don't know how often the tower is congested or how much they throttle your speed.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:58 PM

16,394 posts, read 8,187,139 times
I will say there are some folks in my dept who work on video teams that had a rough time in the beginning. There's about 4 of them and they figured it out. My thought is let them go back to the office if they need to.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:28 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
If they have to be babysat to get any productivity from them, they should be fired.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:29 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
As long as folks like ncole1 don't force *ME* to come into the office because *THEY* don't like WFH, I don't care where folks like ncole1 work and why.
Amen. I also do not mind if employers decide, for themselves, if they wish to maintain, or ditch, office space altogether.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:39 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
If it is anything like my current team, about 25% ( my estimate) of the people are almost impossible to collaborate with when they work from home. If I were a manager, I can think of a few people that I am not afraid to say should be made to come back. Of course if you are in a profession where you can do a lot of work independently ( e. g. consultant) then that really would not have to matter as much.
Was that your work environment before WFH? Having to spend half the day walking around nudging your teammates to work?

Quote:
That depends on the amount of nudges they need. A person who can still contribute more value than it costs to keep them can still be a valuable employee. They aren’t mutually exclusive. Some people are good at focusing on some tasks but have trouble with some modes of communication. I don’t see what’s so strange about that since we all know people with a variety of strengths and weaknesses.
If you were the manager, who would you rather have, someone who works from home, but does their work well, on time, and without complaint OR someone who shows up in the office every day but has to be constantly nudged to get productive work out of them?

Old 02-19-2021, 05:55 PM

1,065 posts, read 471,815 times
I support companies deciding where they want their employees to work. It's perfectly fine to requires your employees to come to the office. It's also perfectly fine if employees want to work somewhere else as a result. The opposite is true as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.