Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 08:32 AM

26 posts, read 12,459 times

Advertisements

I work in the tech field in quality control. We write up reports when we find issues with the software.

We also have these daily check-in meetings since we all work remotely. In these meetings, we basically say what we worked on yesterday and what we are currently working on and if there are any issues preventing us from doing our jobs.

So the other day, I am in my daily call and one of the developers is giving their status and then calls me out specifically by name that "so-and-so filed a report that my department should have been aware is not an issue"

I was kinda taken by surprise by it so I didn't say anything and we typically don't interrupt each other as we are taking turns giving our status.

Still, I think this was out of place and unprofessional. It was basically a non-issue. For him to say that I should have been aware that the issue I reported was expected is debatable and it didn't cost him any longer than a minute of his time to deal with it. When I filed the issue, he communicated to me that this was expected behavior based on the changes that were made in the software and I closed the issue. I don't see why the next day, I need to be called out by name, by a peer in front of our entire team and get told that essentially, I am not doing my job correctly in front of everyone. Not even my direct supervisor would do this, even if it WERE are really serious issue and this was trivial.

Wondering how others would have handled this.

Old 02-06-2020, 08:52 AM

13,171 posts, read 21,287,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthbetoldd345 View Post
Wondering how others would have handled this.
2 X 4 in the dark.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:01 AM

5,982 posts, read 2,947,308 times
"Let's talk about this offline to make sure we are on the same page"

Talk to that person 1:1, then send a summary of that conversation via email (as meeting notes, etc.) so that it's recorded that it was a non-issue that the two of you resolved, in case it comes up and is a problem.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:22 AM

6,520 posts, read 9,922,299 times
I would have spoken up and probably gotten into further trouble lol

Old 02-06-2020, 09:25 AM

1,730 posts, read 2,047,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
"Let's talk about this offline to make sure we are on the same page"

Talk to that person 1:1, then send a summary of that conversation via email (as meeting notes, etc.) so that it's recorded that it was a non-issue that the two of you resolved, in case it comes up and is a problem.
this is probably the best protocol.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:26 AM

29,588 posts, read 23,030,617 times
Too late to do anything now.

Just suck it up and move on or find another job.

Jobs will always have people like this

Old 02-06-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Too late to do anything now.

Just suck it up and move on or find another job.

Jobs will always have people like this

Yeah, I am aware at this point, it's too late to address it. Just wondering in case it happens again.
I was basically thinking I could have said something along the lines of

"I'm not a fan of having my name called out, that is not the purpose of these meetings."

Oh and it's absolutely NOT worth leaving the job over.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:54 AM

6,624 posts, read 11,399,645 times
Quote:
Yeah, I am aware at this point, it's too late to address it. Just wondering in case it happens again.

"I'm not a fan of having my name called out, that is not the purpose of these meetings."

Everyone is going to have their perspective. But IMO - it actually makes the person doing the calling-out look bad. As long as you are confident of your capabilities and what you did was proper (e.g. if you should have known that was the normal function, then obviously you made the report in error) - I would just ignore it. Take it as that he was bum hurt (for whatever reason) and had to say something.

Getting into a peeing contest in a meeting will just annoy everyone.

If this continues, I would pull him aside and have a talk.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:00 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,280,632 times
Quote:

It is a very good thing you did not do anything like this.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It is a very good thing you did not do anything like this.

Why? How is it appropriate to call someone out by name and tell everyone what you think they did wrong. This would be unproffessional if my direct supervisor did it, much less a peer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment