Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 08:24 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,988,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthbetoldd345 View Post
Yeah, I am aware at this point, it's too late to address it. Just wondering in case it happens again.
I was basically thinking I could have said something along the lines of

"I'm not a fan of having my name called out, that is not the purpose of these meetings."

Oh and it's absolutely NOT worth leaving the job over.
Don't do that. That sounds very unprofessional.

"I am very sorry you feel that way. Let's talk about it outside of this meeting so we can resolve this quickly."

Old 02-07-2020, 02:11 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,680,407 times
I probably would have just stayed quiet about it at the time as you did. I think a small, sarcastic chuckle when you heard your name would have been the best move. You wouldn't really interrupt their presentation, but you would have made it known that you didn't agree with them or their move on calling you out.

Most actions you take now would just backfire and not really help your situation, so just moving on is probably the safest move.

If I were to say anything, it would be in person. I'd ask to meet briefly with the person and just state, "Next time you have an issue with what I've done, like the way I filed the report, just come talk to me personally. Thanks." Then just walk out.

Old 02-08-2020, 05:44 AM

745 posts, read 480,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthbetoldd345 View Post
I work in the tech field in quality control. We write up reports when we find issues with the software.

We also have these daily check-in meetings since we all work remotely. In these meetings, we basically say what we worked on yesterday and what we are currently working on and if there are any issues preventing us from doing our jobs.

So the other day, I am in my daily call and one of the developers is giving their status and then calls me out specifically by name that "so-and-so filed a report that my department should have been aware is not an issue"

I was kinda taken by surprise by it so I didn't say anything and we typically don't interrupt each other as we are taking turns giving our status.

Still, I think this was out of place and unprofessional. It was basically a non-issue. For him to say that I should have been aware that the issue I reported was expected is debatable and it didn't cost him any longer than a minute of his time to deal with it. When I filed the issue, he communicated to me that this was expected behavior based on the changes that were made in the software and I closed the issue. I don't see why the next day, I need to be called out by name, by a peer in front of our entire team and get told that essentially, I am not doing my job correctly in front of everyone. Not even my direct supervisor would do this, even if it WERE are really serious issue and this was trivial.

Wondering how others would have handled this.
I have worked with developers also, so I know they can be jerks sometimes. I would think everyone there (developers and your teammates) knows your reputation (good or bad). If this is one of your few mishaps, then brush it off and don't worry about it. Maybe he was a little too stressed and you happened to be in the line of fire at the wrong time.

As for how you handled it in the meeting, you definitely did the right thing by staying silent (at least during the meeting). If you feel the need to address it, I would discuss with your manager or maybe a teammate of yours first. Possibly he has done this to others on other occasions also. It doesn't make it OK, but if he has, then you shouldn't take it personally. However, if it becomes a constant problem with this developer or others, then I would take it up with your manager. Hopefully, he/she also attends the meetings.

But, maybe it is just something you need to let go and learn from. I have worked Tech Support for a complex application and I have recognized that sometimes I need to get better in certain areas. But, we're all human.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:18 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm with the dev. Filing a bug or issue is basically a public allegation that his coding was flawed and it could reflect negatively on him. Some companies keep metrics on this. It would have taken you a minute to IM him and clarify this before taking it to a formal issue report.
Nonsense. The job of software QA is to be an independent group from development. They aren't there to cuddle or be their cheerleaders. You see an issue, you enter it into the bug reporting system and move on to the next task. It's a waste of time to talk to the developer about it, because he or she is going to talk the Software QA engineer out of doing the bug report. No software developer is perfect and they are going to expect flaws to appear in what they did or at least questions about their work. Working in a company is a collaboration and the goal is to improve the product so the customers are happy and they don't find the bugs, that's what Software QA is for. The developer in this case is an immature jerk who clearly doesn't understand their role in the organization.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:31 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishegas View Post
I think you should take it up with him personally, and I wish you the best.
No, the developer has a supervisor and it is their job to manage their direct report, not the OP. And the OP being in Software QA shouldn't be there listening to some nonsense by the developer that they should be consulted before writing a bug report. Or lecture the OP that they don't know their job by writing a bug report.

Software QA engineers are the inspectors of the software product, and they have a more broad knowledge of how the product should work according to the requirements and other documentation. The software developer only implements the software and if it isn't done according to the requirements then it is a bug.

In my experience as a manager in IT and software, it is the top developers who are intrigued that a bug is found in the software they work on, because they are generally interested in improving the product and after all their careful work are surprised there is a problem and can't wait to tear into it to learn more about it and fix it. Their reaction isn't to complain about a bug report, only the lesser developers would do that.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:18 PM

269 posts, read 481,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
"Let's talk about this offline to make sure we are on the same page"

Talk to that person 1:1, then send a summary of that conversation via email (as meeting notes, etc.) so that it's recorded that it was a non-issue that the two of you resolved, in case it comes up and is a problem.
I like this response. OP, I work in the same field and attend a standup/scrum every morning. It's unusual for someone to comment on another's work unless to ask for something. Don't sweat it, unless it happens again.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:50 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
I've run successful software projects with large groups of people for years at large companies. You follow procedure. Period.
Agreed to a certain extent, but the best projects are the ones where people collaborate and talk to each other as people.

Process and procedure is often why projects take significantly longer than they need to be. Every person is different, and every situation is different. The best managers and employees are able to use discretion to know when it makes sense to follow procedure to a t, and when it makes sense to just talk to someone as a person. If people are spending hours on procedure over a simple misunderstanding that a 10 minute hallway conversation could have solved, following procedure exactly is NOT what's best for that project.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:31 AM

26 posts, read 12,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Nonsense. The job of software QA is to be an independent group from development. They aren't there to cuddle or be their cheerleaders. You see an issue, you enter it into the bug reporting system and move on to the next task. It's a waste of time to talk to the developer about it, because he or she is going to talk the Software QA engineer out of doing the bug report. No software developer is perfect and they are going to expect flaws to appear in what they did or at least questions about their work. Working in a company is a collaboration and the goal is to improve the product so the customers are happy and they don't find the bugs, that's what Software QA is for. The developer in this case is an immature jerk who clearly doesn't understand their role in the organization.

Thank you! That is exactly how I feel about it. As I said, our team, including me and this particular developer work in different time zones and aren't able to drop what we are doing at a given moment to answer an IM.

Even if we worked in the same office though, as you said, QA is independent from Dev. We shouldn't be asking for developers opinions on whether bugs should be logged.

The only thing that will result from this, is that some of the more junior QA members might witness this exchange and become hesitant to log bugs for fear of being called out publicly. That diminishes the effectiveness of the QA dept and the overall quality of the product.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:39 AM

26 posts, read 12,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Agreed to a certain extent, but the best projects are the ones where people collaborate and talk to each other as people.

Well collaboration and teamwork are also not enhanced by calling out people publicly in meetings and admonishing them

Old 02-12-2020, 09:07 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
The neat things about messages is that they wait for the recipient to be available. My bet is if you continue to clash with the dev it will be you that gets re-assigned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment