Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 02:47 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I’ve been at my new job for 3 months now and I’m not feeling it. I also feel like people don’t like me. I’m located on the east coast and my boss is on the west coast. I’m in a technical support position. The product is very complicated and complex, doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. I was at my last job for almost 7 years. It was also tech support but not quite as technical. The company has several teams in different parts Of the world and it just feels like there’s a disconnect. I’m also about 10 years older than everyone. My boss is in his 50s so he might be the only person older than me. There’s a lot of pretty bubbly eager young people. That’s just not me. I’m married with 2 kids.

I asked my boss today for feedback on how I’m doing. The first few one on ones we had he said it seems like I’m progressing well. Today he still said I was doing well but he’d heard I could be doing more testing in my own environment. Ok. He told me it takes about 6 to 8 months to get up to speed. I’ve been here just 3 months and I feel sometimes like I’m not making progress. It feels like our team in Europe who is the biggest and knows the most has been slacking and we get stuck with a good portion of the work

Also seems to be a good amount of turnover. aaaand I thought I’d be able to work from home more often.

Overall I’m just not feeling good about things.i was sooo ready to leave my last job. This job is a better commute, I got paid 11k more and there is less work than the last job but harder I guess

I was hoping to take on more of a leadership role but I’m no where close to that since I don’t know the product.

I’ve also had the girl who trained me tell me I’m very quiet. I’m just so sick of corporate cultures. I am a quiet person. Apparently too quiet. I’m there to work and ask questions when I need to

I’m 40. I’ll be working for a while longer....I just feel I’ll never have a job I like.
You just started this job, of course you are not ready for a leadership role. That shouldn’t even be clogging your thoughts at this juncture. And forget about what the team in Europe is doing. In your case, that is nothing more than a major distraction for you.

You need to refocus your energies on learning everything you can about your work. Relationships with your coworkers will come along in time, they are not your priority right now. So what if someone thinks you’re too quiet? Should that honesty impact the job you do? And unless you plan to come into a few million dollars somewhere, get used to “corporate cultures” because they aren’t going anywhere. YOU are the one who must adapt to their culture, after all you are the one who wanted to work there.

Relax, devote yourself to learning, and before you know it all these uncertainties will be in your rear view mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 03:26 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
The bottom line is if you don't like your new job, don't quit right away. Try to make it at least 7 months. Look for ways to get fired so you can collect. Otherwise try and save money and quit within the 7 month to a year period. Then fudge on the resume that you worked there for a year even if you didn't. Relax for a bit, sleep until 10, travel ect. Then in a month or so find a new job.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:39 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
The bottom line is if you don't like your new job, don't quit right away. Try to make it at least 7 months. Look for ways to get fired so you can collect. Otherwise try and save money and quit within the 7 month to a year period. Then fudge on the resume that you worked there for a year even if you didn't. Relax for a bit, sleep until 10, travel ect. Then in a month or so find a new job.
Lol this isn't 1996 it doesn't work like that anymore.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:48 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
It's hard to get UC when you are fired

Old 07-13-2019, 07:52 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
It's hard to describe how bad of advise this is.

Please don't troll like this and set people up for failure.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:17 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
i didnt think it was possible to leave a job after 7 months unless its target

Old 07-13-2019, 11:32 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
i didnt think it was possible to leave a job after 7 months unless its target
It is certainly possible, in fact, it is a legal right in any “at will” state.

If you signed an employment contract with the employer, there may be some financial penalties around leaving within a certain timeframe, but they usually revolve around repaying signing bonuses, relocation allowances, etc.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:57 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
Give this job all you have got but keep an eye out for better opportunities. And yes, review the documents you signed at hire. Don't quit without a better offer in hand.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:57 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
It's just amazing it's 2019 and we're still discriminating, over-analyzing, poking and prodding against introverts in the workplace, particularly in technical fields.
That's the tip of the iceberg. Employers discriminate against people for having large rings, having too much experience, having no experience, having the wrong kind of experience, having the wrong address, applying from out of state, being a fan of the wrong sports team, having the wrong job title (but having transferable skills) in one's old job, having gaps in the resume, being out of work, because they worked contracts so they are stereotyped as "job hoppers", age discrimination, and so on and so on...

Quote:
What horrible advice.

DO NOT quit a job without having another one lined up. Especially with the OP being over 40.

If the OP hates the job, do a stealth job search wile employed. Employers discriminate against the out of work, and those over 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It is certainly possible, in fact, it is a legal right in any “at will” state.

If you signed an employment contract with the employer, there may be some financial penalties around leaving within a certain timeframe, but they usually revolve around repaying signing bonuses, relocation allowances, etc.
Another reason to not quit the job. The tenure is too short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment