Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 09:42 AM

212 posts, read 1,007,811 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have been working at my company for about a year now. For the first three months, I had an awesome manager that showed me the ropes. She was smart, efficient and made sure I left on time every day. She knew how to push back on project deadlines so we weren't overloaded, yet still made everyone (ie - clients and internal departments) happy with the quality of work.

Unfortunately, she left the company about 4 months after I started since she hadn't received a raise in about 2 years. I had no manager for about 5 months, but I knew what to do and happily did what was required of me. Then, finally my company hired someone about 2 months ago.

My new manager is nice and all, but I'm having issues with her. She came from a much larger company with a team of 8 people - now she just has me. She has all these ideas, which are probably great, but I simply can't do all the work she wants me to do. My normal workload has tripled and I am staying late everyday. She also is a bit scatterbrained when she gives me assignments - so when I do a project, I have to revisit it several times because she "forgot" to tell me to add something in. She seems irritated when I can't get to certain things or don't finish my tasks on time.

On top of that, she never stands up for me. I have this other manager who tries to recruit me for his own projects (this was no problem before my new manager started). I told him I was overloaded and would need to talk to my new manager to see if I could squeeze the project in. He ended up talking to her about it (annoying) and she said I could do it - but still gave me a ton of other work to do.

I've expressed my concerns about the workload and tried to offer suggestions on simplifying processes. Her responses are these hollow agreements that never go anywhere ("sure, I can take a look into that"). I am the most stressed I've ever been at this job and I feel like I am making mistakes all the time.

It sucks, because I was really happy at this job for the first 9 months. I don't want to leave, but I don't know how much more I can take of this manager!

Does anyone have a similar story or any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 10:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,604,336 times
That's called life. Do you have your next move planned? Focus on that.

I make it a point to neither like or dislike my manager. Managers are transient and can change anytime. Why invest the emotional/mental energy?

Stay focused on your long term goals since that will usually involve you changing jobs anyway.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,975,730 times
Have you tried putting your general angst in writing and presenting them to her in a letter along with your suggestions? If I liked the job and the company that would be my first inclination when attempts to address the problems orally have gone nowhere. It's one thing to either really like or be ambivalent towards your manager but a whole different scenario when the manager's demands create stress and thus affect your all around ability to do your job.

Give it some thought - and if you go this route be sure to keep a copy of your letter in case you end up having to go over the manager's head.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:52 AM

4,641 posts, read 12,001,972 times
At this point, I would think you would have a general idea of how to prioritize. Do the most important things first. If her wishlist items don't get done, then so be it. I would also keep a journal in which I tracked my time and documented all that I did during the day. The other manager would not be an issue for me. I'd simply say that I'd love to help, but can't. I wouldn't quit a job over a manager because, as you've seen, management changes.

Have you kept in touch with the old manager? I once had a manager I loved working for. I always kept in touch with her and ended up working again for her several years later.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:27 PM

6,495 posts, read 7,870,804 times
Remember, people don't leave their jobs, they leave their managers.

Yes, I've been there and it svcks. I left.

Best of luck.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:12 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,861,468 times
She may be power-playing you. She's new, you've been there for almost a year and you had a great relationship with your previous manager. Honestly, most female managers I've known have been deeply insecure and some will do anything to make themselves look or feel more powerful. They don't care who they throw under the bus, as long as it doesn't affect their position or paycheck.

Watch your back, work hard, be direct and get her to be direct about her expectations.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:12 AM

42,115 posts, read 75,678,484 times
Nothing I dislike more than a new boss throwing his/her weight around. Sounds exactly like my most recent ex-boss, who kept piling on the work, and changing things over and over, and telling other co-workers I was incompetent. He fired me within 6 months of his first day on the job.

Everything I tried failed- - asking him to help me prioritize, asking for his input and advice on every single project, trying to anticipate what he wanted, learning new ways to do things, staying late to finish the work piled on me.

Thought for sure I could outlast him but no. I should have started looking for a new job immediately.

That's my advice- -start looking. You don't necessarily have to leave right away, but it's nice to know what possibilities are out there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
She may be power-playing you. She's new, you've been there for almost a year and you had a great relationship with your previous manager. Honestly, most female managers I've known have been deeply insecure and some will do anything to make themselves look or feel more powerful. They don't care who they throw under the bus
Sounds likely most recent manager- - a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment