Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2019, 07:23 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,094,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Where do you find these contractor positions? Do they still get full benefits?

That would explain not hiring at GS 5, but not the GS 7s and 9s which are experienced but not senior level. Fishbrains comment seems like a reasonable explanation to that.
I am no expert on federal hiring or employment practices, and I may be completely wrong. My comment was based upon having read news articles in the past about government downsizing, where the overall government payroll budget was reduced but every agency saw increases in their budget for contracted services. Probably the most visible example of this in recent years is the rise of military contractors in Iraq. Security services could theoretically be provided by the US Army, but instead the government contracts with firms like Blackwater, which hires ex-military to fulfill.

That was not a political rant on my part, and I am not trying to derail the thread. I am simply providing an example that should be familiar to most people.

I used to live in DC when I was younger, and many of my friends were starting careers. They tended to work for employers like Hughes Raytheon, but worked at Goddard Space Flight Center. Others would be employed by one IT firm or another, but actually work on site with the IRS or similar agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 01:07 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,577,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
That would explain not hiring at GS 5, but not the GS 7s and 9s which are experienced but not senior level. Fishbrains comment seems like a reasonable explanation to that.
no it doesn't, who contracts out management positions for government agencies? they have strict controls on who access the information, they won't put that much of it in an outside entity...

hell, congress won't even contract out their coffee delivery. No doordash for them, they make the interns walk there and back.

It's only a reasonable excuse for someone who wants but didn't get the job to place the blame on something "out of their control"

Old 07-02-2019, 01:46 PM

10,634 posts, read 12,193,858 times
While the gov't won't contract out everything, of course, it might contract out more than many people think.
It contracts out security clearances. And remember Edward Snowden the NSA -- as in National Security! -- contractor who leaked all kinds of stuff?

Old 10-05-2019, 09:07 AM

5,734 posts, read 4,343,900 times
On some low level federal apps they ask you to self rate how you qualify, and generally give 3 options

experience
education
combination.

But "combination" isn't quite what it seems, methinks. They allow people with less than minimum education and less than minimum experience to combine those 2 to meet the minimum. So someone who meets the minimum this way could easily have less experience and less education than someone who can meet using either education or experience.

So if you meet both the minimum education AND experience requirements, should you just list one of those or say "combined". I just have this feeling that combined will give you a somewhat lower score, if they are even scoring that question. OTOH its tempting to say combined because I meet both the minimum education and experience.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:14 PM

23,478 posts, read 19,172,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
On some low level federal apps they ask you to self rate how you qualify, and generally give 3 options

experience
education
combination.

But "combination" isn't quite what it seems, methinks. They allow people with less than minimum education and less than minimum experience to combine those 2 to meet the minimum. So someone who meets the minimum this way could easily have less experience and less education than someone who can meet using either education or experience.

So if you meet both the minimum education AND experience requirements, should you just list one of those or say "combined". I just have this feeling that combined will give you a somewhat lower score, if they are even scoring that question. OTOH its tempting to say combined because I meet both the minimum education and experience.
As is true so often, the specific thing they are asking you to evaluate yourself on matters. One skill they are wanting in applicants might be the result of specific specialized education...such as certifications, licenses, or advanced degrees. Education might be the appropriate choice. OTOH, that minimum required education might be 10 years old. The directly applicable experience might be a lot more current. If I had the minimum acceptable education but MORE than the minimum acceptable experience, I'd check experience. IMHO applied real-time experience doing that specific work carries more weight.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:25 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,140,800 times
The federal jobs process is a travesty. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-06-2019 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:29 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,140,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
no it doesn't, who contracts out management positions for government agencies? they have strict controls on who access the information, they won't put that much of it in an outside entity...

hell, congress won't even contract out their coffee delivery. No doordash for them, they make the interns walk there and back.

It's only a reasonable excuse for someone who wants but didn't get the job to place the blame on something "out of their control"
Not getting a job you apply for (that you know you meet the qualifications for) is ALWAYS outside of your control. If you are clearly applying for jobs you are no where near qualified then thats another issue, but I dont think thats what we are talking about.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:35 PM

5,734 posts, read 4,343,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
As is true so often, the specific thing they are asking you to evaluate yourself on matters. One skill they are wanting in applicants might be the result of specific specialized education...such as certifications, licenses, or advanced degrees. Education might be the appropriate choice. OTOH, that minimum required education might be 10 years old. The directly applicable experience might be a lot more current. If I had the minimum acceptable education but MORE than the minimum acceptable experience, I'd check experience. IMHO applied real-time experience doing that specific work carries more weight.

This is simply a general question about how you meet the minimum requirements for the grade being offered.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:45 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,222,439 times
Default Read what they sent you

Quote:
How much information can I get about the referral and hiring process for specific federal positions? I keep getting "you qualify but were not referred" messages. Can I get copies of the scoring and ranks of myself and other applicants so that I can see where and why I am falling short? It seems like most of this should be public data.

"You qualify but were not referred." That means NETWORKING. The best referral is someone in the agency in that section who knows you and gives you the nod. When you do the security disclosure you will be asked to get character/job references from important people.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:23 AM

1,110 posts, read 900,896 times
Quote:
How much information can I get about the referral and hiring process for specific federal positions? I keep getting "you qualify but were not referred" messages. Can I get copies of the scoring and ranks of myself and other applicants so that I can see where and why I am falling short? It seems like most of this should be public data.
I will give you the benefit of my government experience (not all of it is current):

1. It is not always about you. Those notices are often a result of the agency having an internal candidate or (someone possibly from the outside also) already in mind, so they are going through the motions.

2. Pay attention to the job announcement. The more specialized and descriptive it is, the more likely it is tailored for someone specific. Also pay attention to the open period. If it is only open for a week, it is more than likely for someone specific.

3. The "really open" jobs generally have long open periods, or have more than one vacancy.

4. Sometimes, government contractor jobs can lead to civil service positions, depending on the agency.

5. I tried to get a government job for years without success. You generally need to know someone on the inside to get a government job, or to perform a service that incurs a favor due, such as temping for them. I was able to do this. Subsequent promotions after my initial entry also involved moving, because promotions are also political.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment