Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 02:53 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,899,912 times

Advertisements

The Duggars say they rarely go to the beach because of the scantily clad (read bathing suits and bikinis) women wear. They say the boys might not be able to keep from looking. They even have a word to use when someone sees a woman they think their boys will ogle. They say "Nike" so the boys have time to look the other way or maybe to close their eyes.

At the same time the Duggars plead ignorance about teaching boys to control themselves, they put the onus straight on the women. They dress their girls in bulky tops with no cleavage at all and make them wear long skirts to below their knees.

I think most of us find this ridiculous. Unless, of course, you're reading the comments on this thread. It appears many males posting here have the same problem the Duggar boys do. For all I know, maybe they're the same age as the Duggar boys. Who knows?

So here's my solution to those guys who have no control over themselves.

1) Wherever you go, bring someone along to say "Nike" if they see someone you might be forced to look at, since you can't control your leering.

2) Never go to the beach, or to any other place where women wear, you know, normal clothes.

3) Instead of learning to control yourselves, start petitioning for laws to make women cover up in bulky tops and long ugly skirts.

4) Don't forget to change your last name to Duggar.

Or, as an alternative, you could use the manners your mother tried to teach you and just treat women with respect.

Your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I'm fine with women being bra-less at work. However, given the #MeToo climate, issues may happen.

In office type environments, women have more apparel freedom. Men have to wear pants and can't wear shorts. Women can wear skirts. I would like to wear shorts to an office job.
I'm sure a lot women would like to wear shorts to the office as well. So maybe you should petition for men to be able to wear skirts. Ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 02:55 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,899,912 times
If men were to go without underwear, would they expect the ogling and grabbing and people talking to their crotch? And if they did, would they just shrug it off and do nothing?

Actually, that sounds sort of interesting. The next time some guy can't lift his eyes from my breasts when he's having a conversation (supposedly with me and not my boobs), I think I'll bend over and address my comments to his crotch. Let's see how that works out.

Although I would like to take the time to stop and say, "Excuse me for not introducing you. This boob is named Lucy and this one is Laura. Why don't I just leave now so you three can get acquainted?"

Old 09-03-2018, 02:57 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I hate wearing a bra, too. I take mine off as soon as I come in my apt door, before the shoes come off, even. Good for them. I wouldn't be comfortable knowing everyone was aware of my swinging breasts, but I don't blame them for wanting to be as comfortable as the men.

I still can't believe women are such slaves to high heels, too. Men, other than those who wear ties, are normally comfortable in their clothing.
Since I work at home, a rarely have to put one on but they are extremely uncomfortable and frankly, not healthy. I do put one on when I go out if I am wearing a shirt that would require it, but I take it off immediately when I come home.

High heels? Forget it. They are stupid and also unhealthy.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:14 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
If men were to go without underwear, would they expect the ogling and grabbing and people talking to their crotch? And if they did, would they just shrug it off and do nothing?

Actually, that sounds sort of interesting. The next time some guy can't lift his eyes from my breasts when he's having a conversation (supposedly with me and not my boobs), I think I'll bend over and address my comments to his crotch. Let's see how that works out.

Although I would like to take the time to stop and say, "Excuse me for not introducing you. This boob is named Lucy and this one is Laura. Why don't I just leave now so you three can get acquainted?"

Old 09-03-2018, 06:34 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:

A lot of men would laugh and stop ogling you, and compliment you on your great sense of humor.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:21 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
I support their right to cast them off. One of my favorite TV characters was Mirielle. What a brilliant move that was by the producers of that TV French class, that made it such a success.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:43 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It is sad to see that so many who didn't fight for women's rights were not adequately educated about what work it was at the time.
I can go back 300+ years in my families written & recorded history & I notice women who were wealthy land owners, several doctors, at least two scientists, a university professor, several business owners & one wild woman who broke her husband out of prison after he had been sentenced to death & made arrangements for him to be a stowaway on a passing ship bound for America ... while she stayed with their six children in Ireland for another year.

Some married, some did not, some were mothers & others were not. Nobody asked permission to do anything, nobody was abused, burned at the stake, etc ...

The family historians neglected to mention what their undergarments preferences were but I sort of suspect that when my paternal grandmother’s grandmother sat down at the table to wheel & deal with the gentlemen from the Union Pacific who wanted to buy her land (she made them lease it; wouldn’t sell); that she had her nipples covered.

I don’t want any respect given to me that someone else had to “fight forâ€. Thanks but no thanks; I’m not a horse in a handicap race.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:04 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Can you address the rest of what I said?
No. I won't allow you to use sexism to direct the conversation.

Quote:
Should I consider it a human rights violation that I'm required to wear a suit and tie on the job and women are not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Whatever people are forced to wear, all people should be forced to wear.
Quote:
Per federal case law right now, it's okay to have different dress and/or grooming requirements for men and women, so long as doing so does not place an "unfairly heavy burden on either sex." Is this sexist? By the truest sense of the word, yes. Obviously. The real question is whether this is a big enough issue that we should care. That answer is no.
False. I won't allow you to use sexism to direct the conversation. A little sexism is sexism. A little racism is racism. A little religious persecution is religious persecution. Too many Americans have demonstrated - recently - that they will latch onto anything that seemingly ratifies the offensively despicable biases that they harbor. Stop making excuses for bad behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I don’t want any respect given to me that someone else had to “fight for”.
Tough. You live at a specific point in history. You are beholden to those who came before you, just as you have obligations to those who come after you, whether you want that or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Breasts weren't developed to be eye-candy for men. Their design is to feed babies not men so there shouldn't be any shame for women to go bra-less.
Precisely. The way to fix what's broken in this case is to fix men, not women.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:51 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,151 times
Quote:
I'm glad you're not in charge of national security in this country. You'd be a prime target for a honey trap.

----------------------------------------

For the rest of you neanderthals:

I've been watching a lot of equestrian show jumping competitions lately. I'd say between a quarter and half of those horses are stallions who manage to compete against geldings and MARES, and I have yet to see one of those stallions not be totally concentrated on what he's doing in the ring when he's competing, despite the presence of the opposite sex.

There's one of two things you can take away from this.

1) Maybe you need someone riding your back and making you behave so you can do your job.

or

2) Own up to the fact that a male horse is more capable than you of doing his job despite the distractions.
Much as I hate to bring it up - don't they still ban mares from competition when they are in heat? If they're not in heat, the stallions don't really care that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I'm not 13. And I'm talking about evil women and weak men. If everybody could control her/himself, there would be no bad things happened in the world.

And yes, there is a relationship between cause and effect.
Yeah, because you can't control your infantile purile interest, the effect will be that we NOT EVIL women will call you a pervert.

Get off your soapbox and give it up. Eve did not cause "the fall" and all women are not evil, just because you refuse to rein your pants snake in and keep it where it belongs.

Your follow up post complaining about how women do this on purpose to harrass, attract, or somehow manipulate men says it all. Take a cold shower and control yourself. I got so tired of men who insisted I was "flirting" with them when I was doing no such thing. Grow up! You have "every woman wants me" syndrome. I assure you. We do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I'm fine with women being bra-less at work. However, given the #MeToo climate, issues may happen.

In office type environments, women have more apparel freedom. Men have to wear pants and can't wear shorts. Women can wear skirts. I would like to wear shorts to an office job.
Not if you're a mature adult male. If, however, you are a spoiled little 12 year old brat in a man's body, yeah. "Issues may happen". And you won't like the results one little bit.

The fact that we happen to be female doesn't give you license to leer and sexualize us. If a woman walks down the street buck nekkid, you're ONLY acceptable response is to see if she needs help. Grow up or go to he!!.

Quote:
The Duggars say they rarely go to the beach because of the scantily clad (read bathing suits and bikinis) women wear. They say the boys might not be able to keep from looking. They even have a word to use when someone sees a woman they think their boys will ogle. They say "Nike" so the boys have time to look the other way or maybe to close their eyes.

At the same time the Duggars plead ignorance about teaching boys to control themselves, they put the onus straight on the women. They dress their girls in bulky tops with no cleavage at all and make them wear long skirts to below their knees.

I think most of us find this ridiculous. Unless, of course, you're reading the comments on this thread. It appears many males posting here have the same problem the Duggar boys do. For all I know, maybe they're the same age as the Duggar boys. Who knows?

So here's my solution to those guys who have no control over themselves.

1) Wherever you go, bring someone along to say "Nike" if they see someone you might be forced to look at, since you can't control your leering.

2) Never go to the beach, or to any other place where women wear, you know, normal clothes.

3) Instead of learning to control yourselves, start petitioning for laws to make women cover up in bulky tops and long ugly skirts.

4) Don't forget to change your last name to Duggar.

Or, as an alternative, you could use the manners your mother tried to teach you and just treat women with respect.

Your choice.

I'm sure a lot women would like to wear shorts to the office as well. So maybe you should petition for men to be able to wear skirts. Ya think?
This would be the Duggar family where at least one male was regularly committing incest.

Well telling them to look away from women in swim suits sure worked for them, didn't it, now? LOL!

Remember the kilt... men can already wear skirts, as long as they are plaid. With knee socks.

CHICK A BOOM CHICK A BOOM CHICK A BOW WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Since I work at home, a rarely have to put one on but they are extremely uncomfortable and frankly, not healthy. I do put one on when I go out if I am wearing a shirt that would require it, but I take it off immediately when I come home.

High heels? Forget it. They are stupid and also unhealthy.
My grandmother, recognizing my intelligence, took special care to make sure I would NEVER be subject to this particular insanity. She showed me what years of wearing high heels had done to her feet. Every toe was clubbed. She didn't wear shoes too small, that's just the way they made high heels back then and she had a daily office job where she was expected to wear them to work. And no kicking them off under the desk, either.

High heels were specifically developed to make it difficult for a woman to walk without wiggling her butt in a manner men find titillating. Kiss my a$$. I'm not wiggling it.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:02 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,039,242 times
Breasts are powerful objects. They must be kept under control at all times or absolute anarchy will prevail :-)

I am 60-something now and like other posters love taking my sports bra off immediately when I'm home. Aaaaah.
Up to age 30 I hardly needed a bra but something happened (no kids-wasn't that) and they grew into things that needed to be controlled.

I have been on both sides of this now and have experienced "big breast" discrimination (it's real):
Big breasts make me look fatter than I actually am and fat people are treated differently than thin people.
People also think I'm dumber and motherly but I'm the same smart non-mother I was when my breasts were smaller.

Current bras are not useful. I had to throw out all my underwires because they caused chapping.
Sports bras can be anaconda-like. You men have NO IDEA.
I like to garden and be outdoors and got a rash from moisture trapping upperwear. Expensive doctor visit.

I wish I had my 34B's back but Mother Nature says "no, this is your DNA".

I wish women would be valued for the work they do and not the size of their breasts. (Why do I imagine this said in a MLKIII voice?)

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 09-04-2018 at 06:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment